FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Battery draining on the dock

286 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By tornadog, Senior Member on 6th June 2011, 05:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I think this is getting quite critical for me, and I have seen a few others having the same issue. I kept my dock charged all weekend(solid green light), and last night took it off charge closed lid and put it in my bag. Today, I opened the TF and installed the awesome Battery widget from the Apps section, and it says my dock is at 3%, and my TF at 97%. So in a matter of 14 hours, the dock has been drained with the TF being idle and screen off.

6th June 2011, 05:36 PM |#2  
Flag Santa Rosa, CA
Thanks Meter: 43

Donate to Me
More
Link to the battery widget?
6th June 2011, 05:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
battery widget:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1112391
6th June 2011, 06:22 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog

I think this is getting quite critical for me, and I have seen a few others having the same issue. I kept my dock charged all weekend(solid green light), and last night took it off charge closed lid and put it in my bag. Today, I opened the TF and installed the awesome Battery widget from the Apps section, and it says my dock is at 3%, and my TF at 97%. So in a matter of 14 hours, the dock has been drained with the TF being idle and screen off.

Was the tablet on the dock when it was charging?
6th June 2011, 06:49 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
yes. the tablet charged first and then the dock charged.
6th June 2011, 07:44 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog

So in a matter of 14 hours, the dock has been drained with the TF being idle and screen off.

FYI: In a recent "test" I did with 3.1 the dock battery lasted 30 hours from green light to flashing red (orange) light (I didn't have the great battery widget at that time. I just installed it!!!). This is with 4-5 hours of moderate use (navigation, email, some youtube), 10 hours of standby with wifi off and the rest (15 hours) of standby with wifi on.

This means around 3%/hour battery drain while on standby.

Joël.
6th June 2011, 09:40 PM |#7  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 366

More
Which is unacceptablet. the iPad, and the Nook Color lasts easily a week in standby.
6th June 2011, 09:46 PM |#8  
Recognized Themer
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 1,078

Donate to Me
More
Hey all, first off, thanks for the link-age to the battery widget. I can finally see what's going on with my dock battery status....and that status is NOT good

I posted in another thread that I had charged my dock as soon as I got it (before connecting to the tablet) for 18+ hours, and I never saw a green light. After that, I connected it to my tablet running Primordial 3.1, it offered to update the dock FW to 0209, and I allowed it to. It said update successful, and Settings confirms the dock is at v0209.

Problem is, now that I can see my dock battery status with that widget, it shows only 37%. My tablet is at 100%, so I figured the dock should then take the charge from the official ASUS mains charger, but this doesn't appear to be happening. As soon as I plug in the charger, the widget shows "Dock Status: Charging", then after 1-2 secs, changes back to "Not Charging".

The dock light is solid orange while I have it "charging"/plugged in, and I have NEVER seen it turn green. When I disconnect the charger, the orange light on the dock flashes infrequently, telling me that it has less that 95% charge. I am not sure if there is something faulty with my actual dock, but people reported that the v0209 FW fixed most issues. I just wish I could get both battery statuses to 100%!!

I wish ASUS did a better job on this dock. I know that it is a groundbreaking product here, so bugs are expected, but since it is hardware and I only have 14 days to return it to the store I bought it from, it would be good to know what the beep is going on...

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...
6th June 2011, 10:06 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 136

More
We may still be waiting on the battery saving fix from Asus. They've mentioned the dock is draining too quickly (especially in standby) - haven't seen an improvement even with 0209 upgrade so hopefully we're still outstanding!

The "mobile dock battery saving mode" under settings -> screen seems to help a litle. Lost ~30% overnight on dock charge, and dock has just hit 3% after a good 4 hours use so far today.
6th June 2011, 10:15 PM |#10  
Recognized Themer
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 1,078

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland3r

The "mobile dock battery saving mode" under settings -> screen seems to help a litle. Lost ~30% overnight on dock charge, and dock has just hit 3% after a good 4 hours use so far today.

Thanks for that Highland3r...but may I ask, have you guys ever seen your TF dock hit a 100% charge? I'm still puzzled as to why mine is stuck at 37% and the battery widget shows that the dock is not charging.

Also, what is the supposed process when the dock and tablet are joined, but OFF of the charger? I would assume that the dock charges the tablet until it runs out of juice, then the tablet battery would decrease?

Funny because when I have none connected to the charger, but combined, my battery icon does not show that the tablet is charging. Maybe in this case, the dock battery + tablet battery enter some sort of parallel mode, which combines the draw from both (as one big battery?)...No idea here, but I still think something is wrong if my dock won't show past 37% and others have (possibly) seen their dock charge to 100%.
The Following User Says Thank You to scar45 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scar45 Ad-Free
6th June 2011, 10:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar45

Hey all, first off, thanks for the link-age to the battery widget. I can finally see what's going on with my dock battery status....and that status is NOT good

I posted in another thread that I had charged my dock as soon as I got it (before connecting to the tablet) for 18+ hours, and I never saw a green light. After that, I connected it to my tablet running Primordial 3.1, it offered to update the dock FW to 0209, and I allowed it to. It said update successful, and Settings confirms the dock is at v0209.

Problem is, now that I can see my dock battery status with that widget, it shows only 37%. My tablet is at 100%, so I figured the dock should then take the charge from the official ASUS mains charger, but this doesn't appear to be happening. As soon as I plug in the charger, the widget shows "Dock Status: Charging", then after 1-2 secs, changes back to "Not Charging".

The dock light is solid orange while I have it "charging"/plugged in, and I have NEVER seen it turn green. When I disconnect the charger, the orange light on the dock flashes infrequently, telling me that it has less that 95% charge. I am not sure if there is something faulty with my actual dock, but people reported that the v0209 FW fixed most issues. I just wish I could get both battery statuses to 100%!!

I wish ASUS did a better job on this dock. I know that it is a groundbreaking product here, so bugs are expected, but since it is hardware and I only have 14 days to return it to the store I bought it from, it would be good to know what the beep is going on...

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Sorry I can't give you any useful comments other that I have a similar problem. After one successful initial charge (successful meaning the light turned green), the dock will not completely charge anymore. I had the dock by itself on the charger for 11 hours and still had the orange led. Unplugged the charger, docked the tablet and immediately got the flashing orange.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)