FORUMS

How to decrease minimum backlight level?

191 posts
Thanks Meter: 18

By dumon, Senior Member on 9th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there a way to decrease the minimum back-light level on a CM7 ROM?
I always prefer to keep back-light level as low as possible and not using automatic setting for it.
Recently I've tried one of the MIUI roms and noticed that the lowest back-light level on it is way dimmer that on CM7 ROMs. It allowed me to noticeably save on battery.
So is there any way to do it on CM7 based ROMs?
j4n87
10th June 2011, 03:01 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=10594

Tried and tested with typhoon rom. After usind this lib the cm7 autobacklight level should woork correctly..but therefore some LED Notification will behave a bit strange...you will be able to life with that. (=
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
10th June 2011, 03:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 631

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon

Is there a way to decrease the minimum back-light level on a CM7 ROM?

not 100% as I use a CM mod (AMA), but check Settings / CM Settings / Display/ Automatic Brightness / Edit Other Levels
10th June 2011, 03:56 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4n87

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ostcount=10594

Tried and tested with typhoon rom. After usind this lib the cm7 autobacklight level should woork correctly..but therefore some LED Notification will behave a bit strange...you will be able to life with that. (=

OK. I've tried it and saw absolutely no difference in minimum backlight level.
When I move the backlight level slider all the way down it is still on the same level
as with older libs. And it did break notification lights.
As I've mentioned before I am not using autobacklight at all. I just want to have manual backlight level go much lower.
10th June 2011, 04:01 PM |#5  
Flag the internet
Thanks Meter: 221

More
There is a free app in the Android Market that will do just what you want. It's called Screen Filter. Using this app, you can set your backlight level very low, and even put a widget pre-set to your preferred brightness level on one of your homescreens.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
10th June 2011, 04:21 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

OK. I've tried it and saw absolutely no difference in minimum backlight level.
When I move the backlight level slider all the way down it is still on the same level
as with older libs. And it did break notification lights.
As I've mentioned before I am not using autobacklight at all. I just want to have manual backlight level go much lower.

that's how it looks on my device - the min brightness can be set to 1 which is very dark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20110610_171032.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	621187   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20110610_171442.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	621188  
10th June 2011, 04:36 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggs

There is a free app in the Android Market that will do just what you want. It's called Screen Filter. Using this app, you can set your backlight level very low, and even put a widget pre-set to your preferred brightness level on one of your homescreens.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

This app is a fake. It does not decrease backlight level, but instead dims lcd pixels, which is not the same. Hence no power saving benefits. It would only help with OLED screens.
10th June 2011, 04:53 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p107r0

that's how it looks on my device - the min brightness can be set to 1 which is very dark

Did you replace lights libs to make it to work?
10th June 2011, 05:08 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Did you replace lights libs to make it to work?

that's how it comes with AMA, which is based on CM7.1, so it could be part of the original CM (have no way to check as I don't use NAND builds)
The Following User Says Thank You to p107r0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift p107r0 Ad-Free
10th June 2011, 05:16 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p107r0

that's how it comes with AMA, which is based on CM7.1, so it could be part of the original CM (have no way to check as I don't use NAND builds)

Ah..I see. That is SD build.
OK. Looks like CM7 autobacklight works if I replace lights libs now (loosing LED blinking though). I guess I'll try it out and see how it turns out.

Thank you all.
10th June 2011, 06:05 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC

More
One thing I've noticed that backlight level number is not very granular.
As there is no difference if I have it set to 1, 5, 10, 15 or 20. It only changes at 25
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)