Nook Netflix Fixer; Ad Blocker; Update 7/22/11

Search This thread

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
Changelog:

7/22/11

This is no longer needed. The new Netflix app works with no issues or fixes. Here is the link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178312

7/17/11

Removed the USB Mounter feature; See Nook Color Tweaks.
Added support for different Nook Color setups. Emmc, Sdcard, ManualNooter
Put it on the market

7/4/11

Ad Blocker
USB Mounter - Mounts to /sdcard/USB. You must turn on USB host mode and have the device plugged in before using this utility. This will work even if you changed vold.fstab.
Failsafes - /system must be mounted to /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 for the emmc options to work or /system must be mounted to /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 for the sdcard options to work.

This is an app that will update your /system/build.prop file. It changes ro.product.manufacturer=bn to ro.product.manufacturer=HTC. It will also allow you to change it back. You must reboot for the change to take effect. This was designed for CM7. If it works for other devices or OSes, please post.

For SDCard users, DrSarcasmo has found a solution to get this to work. Update busybox. Here is his post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15052326&postcount=77

I added another app to this thread call "Nook Odds and Ends". It has a Netflix fix and Ad Blocker. There are eMMC and SDcard options. Some SDcard users are still having problems. Report any issues so we can this working for everyone.

PS: I fixed the Exit option and added the chmod command for the SDCard option.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brianf21.nookoddsandends

Last edited:

J-ROCK

Mar 8, 2008
windermere
Yes! Very helpful, I was getting tired of editing my prop everytime I flash a new nightly. Thanks for the app!

Sent from CM7 NOOK!

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
This is an app that will update your /system/build.prop file. It changes ro.product.manufacturer=bn to ro.product.manufacturer=HTC. It will also allow you to change it back. You must reboot for the change to take effect. This was designed for CM7. If it works for other devices or OSes, please post.

Been a while brianf21. And a wonderful return with this great app. Thanks!

-Racks

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
As a lazy man I wholeheartedly approve of this app!

ha, I clicked Thanks instead of reply... So you're welcome ;)

Anywho, yeah, I was editing bulid.prop with vi in a terminal, so this is much nicer. I was really close to just writing a shell script with sed in it but hadn't gotten around to it yet. :)

So now my upgrade process..

• Install new nightly, boot it and let it boot up and make sure it's happy
  • Copy adblock hosts file to /system/etc
  • Run NetFlix Fix
  • Boot into CWM
  • Flash latest OC kernel
  • Profit

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL
ha, I clicked Thanks instead of reply... So you're welcome ;)

Anywho, yeah, I was editing bulid.prop with vi in a terminal, so this is much nicer. I was really close to just writing a shell script with sed in it but hadn't gotten around to it yet. :)

So now my upgrade process..

• Install new nightly, boot it and let it boot up and make sure it's happy
  • Copy adblock hosts file to /system/etc
  • Run NetFlix Fix
  • Boot into CWM
  • Flash latest OC kernel
  • Profit

Could you post you hosts file? Maybe we could automate that too.

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

danbutter

Feb 1, 2008
Will this work for CM7 running of SD card? Or only off emmc?
I use verygreen's SD card installer if it matters.

Oh and I second the hosts file since adfree won't work on (at least SD card versions) of CM7.

mgiedrys

Apr 8, 2011
Netflix Help

I'm running the latest Phiremod from EMMC and I've been unable to get Netflix to do much of anything other than tell me to check my network connection.

If anyone can tell me which ROM to run and which netflix apk to install with it so it will work that would be really appreciated, I've tried the fix file as well as manually editing the build.prop file

just have no clue why it isn't working for me

thank you very much in advance for any assistance you could provide.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Changelog:

7/22/11

This is no longer needed. The new Netflix app works with no issues or fixes. Here is the link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178312

7/17/11

Removed the USB Mounter feature; See Nook Color Tweaks.
    Added support for different Nook Color setups. Emmc, Sdcard, ManualNooter
    Put it on the market

7/4/11

Ad Blocker
    USB Mounter - Mounts to /sdcard/USB. You must turn on USB host mode and have the device plugged in before using this utility. This will work even if you changed vold.fstab.
    Failsafes - /system must be mounted to /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 for the emmc options to work or /system must be mounted to /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 for the sdcard options to work.

For SDCard users, DrSarcasmo has found a solution to get this to work. Update busybox. Here is his post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15052326&postcount=77

I added another app to this thread call "Nook Odds and Ends". It has a Netflix fix and Ad Blocker. There are eMMC and SDcard options. Some SDcard users are still having problems. Report any issues so we can this working for everyone.

PS: I fixed the Exit option and added the chmod command for the SDCard option.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brianf21.nookoddsandends
    Netflix working on CM7 nightly 113

This is how I got Netflix working, I'm a total noob to all of this, so I'll explain the steps I took as much as I can:
    First I had to get read-write permissions on the build.prop file (I was getting errors saving it with ES File Explorer like many others).
    Open the terminal emulator, type in;
    Code:
    su
    busybox mount -0 rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 /system
    This mounts the /system folder, which has the build.prop that you want to edit permissions on. Then type in
    Code:
    chmod +rw /system/build.prop
    To grant read/write permissions on this file. (Thanks to this thread; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1131657)
    Now you should be able to edit the file using ES File Explorer as recommended. I set them to;
    Code:
    ro.product.model=HTC Vision
    ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
    Then I downloaded the Netflix app from (I went with the first link);
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1076150
    Then went to Menu>Settings>Applications, and check the box Unknown Sources so you can manually install the .apk.
    Navigate to where the browser downloaded the file (for me it was the /download folder) using File Expert (app, has superuser permissions) and run the installer.
    Now Netflix should appear in the app drawer, and you can run it. It will prompt you to update the app, but I wasn’t able to get that to work. Also, it’s really slow and unresponsive for me, but it works and there's no chipmonking, so I’m happy!
    [Running CM 7 nightly 113 with the latest Dalgreen OC kernel]
    I'm running CM7 nightly 107 and this wasn't working for me and niether was AdFree. Niether of the apps could write to my SD card. I updated to the latest BusyBox and everything got fixed. Just an idea for folks having trouble.
    As a lazy man I wholeheartedly approve of this app!
    Noticed that the new 1.3 apk doesn't require the use of any of the current work arrounds to install and run correctly.

No chipmunks, nothing.

Thanks, I updated the first post with this information.