FORUMS

[APP] GetLogs - Get dmesg, logcat, radio, etc with one click!

203 posts
Thanks Meter: 154

By rpierce99, Senior Member on 14th June 2011, 04:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know how annoying it is trying to set up ADB, open a terminal, export logs to local files, copy, paste, etc just to submit a bug report or help a developer diagnose an issue.

That is why I put together this little app to do all of that for you!
This app runs the following commands:
  • dmesg
  • logcat -v time -d
  • logcat -v time -b radio -d
  • getprop
  • uname -a
  • ps

It puts these together into a single document and uploads it to Pastebin, so you can just put a link in a forum thread or IRC or in the bug tracker.

To run these, sadly it needs root. It also requires permissions to read phone identity so that it can automatically mask your ESN/MDN/etc in the logs before it uploads them. It also requires permissions to read account information so that it can mask all of your accounts in the logcat.

EVEN WITH ALL OF THOSE THINGS BLOCKED AUTOMATICALLY PLEASE LOOK OVER YOUR LOG BEFORE GIVING OUT THE URL. IT IS A PRIVATE PASTEBIN AND IF YOU FIND SOMETHING PRIVATE YOU CAN REMOVE IT.

Usage:
  • Install the app on your phone.
  • Run the app.
  • Add any information that should be masked (keep in mind private phone ids and accounts will be masked automatically).
  • Hit PasteBin! and wait for the upload to finish.
  • Note the url at the bottom of the screen and give it to whoever requested your logs.

This is just a simple app to help get logs, but if you have any suggestion of how it might be better, do let me know by posting in this thread.

Known Issues:
  • If you add too many mask strings the app doesn't scroll so you lose the PasteBin! button and/or the resulting URL.
Google Code Project: http://code.google.com/p/getlogs/

Version History:
Version 1.2
  • Added filtering to "just a file" output
  • Limited dmesg and both logcats to only 1000 lines each to prevent OutOfMemory Exceptions.
Version 1.1
  • Added ability to just save the file, no upload. (/sdcard/Android/apps/com.GetLogs/data/)
  • App now remembers the last message, in case you forget to write down your pastebin address.
  • Added ps to the list of processes run.
Version 1.0
Initial Version

Upgrade Instructions:
Uninstall current version if installed.
Install new version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetLogs.jpg
Views:	3617
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	624662  
Attached Files
File Type: apk GetLogs.apk - [Click for QR Code] (58.7 KB, 3880 views)
The Following 101 Users Say Thank You to rpierce99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rpierce99 Ad-Free
14th June 2011, 05:01 AM |#2  
Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 1

More
good work, thanks button pushed
14th June 2011, 05:29 AM |#3  
Vancouver

More
Ok so, update - application not installed error, yes I have unknown sources selected, just doesn't install. Any ideas?

Sent from my MSM using XDA App
14th June 2011, 05:36 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistroDistro

Ok so, update - application not installed error, yes I have unknown sources selected, just doesn't install. Any ideas?

Sent from my MSM using XDA App

Hm, I get the same thing, I've never published an android app before and I chose not to sign it, maybe I need to do that...

EDIT: Ok I signed it and it installs now, sorry about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpierce99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rpierce99 Ad-Free
14th June 2011, 05:52 AM |#5  
Vancouver

More
worked like a charm : )
again, good work
14th June 2011, 02:28 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,

Is there any way for the file to be dumped on the phone instead of uploading it to pastebin. The user can then pick his way of displaying the file to the world.
14th June 2011, 03:11 PM |#7  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,480

Donate to Me
More
This is awesome, gonna install it when I get home so I can get highlandsun some logs of radio failures that occur when I'm at my desk at work. (I never have time to get the logs from the terminal when working, and I can't ADB at work.)
14th June 2011, 04:21 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
New version in first post, see the Version History for the updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpierce99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rpierce99 Ad-Free
14th June 2011, 05:16 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Awesome work!
14th June 2011, 05:50 PM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,835

Donate to Me
More
Nice work rpierce99. This should help get us a flood of logs .
15th June 2011, 02:22 AM |#11  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Awesome! Will have a try.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)