FORUMS

Galaxy Tab unbricking service

366 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,162

By spacemoose1, Inactive Recognized Developer on 17th June 2011, 03:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Stumbled upon this a bit ago, a company called Mobile Tech is offering an "unbricking" service on all versions of the Galaxy Tab. At the time of this writing they charge $50. I have not used this service, am not in any affiliated with this company and cannot vouch for their work, so beware. Just thought someone out there might use this when other options aren't available.

They have a nifty video up on youtube showing how they do it:

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spacemoose1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spacemoose1 Ad-Free
17th June 2011, 03:49 PM |#2  
Flag Galaxy World
Thanks Meter: 461

Donate to Me
More
it will be a good help for those who brick their tab because they ain't follow the steps .. thanks for sharing this out
17th June 2011, 04:41 PM |#3  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 217

Donate to Me
More
I can actually vouch third party for this service. Have had two friends use it and the device was returned within a few days. If I'm not mistaken, the guy lives in the southern US, but can arrange international he says.

Sent from my "better than an iPad" tab... Running Overcome GINGERBREAD!!!
18th June 2011, 01:02 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This is cool, but I would recommend trying to go through Samsung first if you are still under warranty. I screwed up my primary bootloader and contacted them. They took care of shipping costs, fixed it up, and sent it back in about a week and a half. If Samsung hadn't fixed it I would defiantly have payed the $50 here though.
18th June 2011, 02:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
WOW, that seems like a lot of work for $50.
Thanks for the info, should I ever screw something up its nice to know there are people out there who can clean up my mess!
18th June 2011, 07:05 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemoose1

a company called Mobile Tech is offering an "unbricking" service on all versions of the Galaxy Tab.

Hi spacemoose1

Thanks for link and as always, thanks for honeycomb port. I would like to ascertain the definition of BRICK? with your help, if I may.

(disclaimer: pls forgive my wrong terms or exagerated explanation, but most importantly, pls correct me if I'm wrong)

BRICKed = software total lost, must use JTAG to force revive it, Samsung has it, or buy from web supplier around 300 USD ??? 500 USD ???

JTAG is a device to push software into all newly borned IC. I.E. when factory make IC, it's empty software inside, hence has a special device to push voltage into all sections of the IC, then force the code in.

Another term is ???CRASH??? or ???HANG???, (I don't know) anyway is not BRICKed, hence a reflash can recover it.

Samsung uses proprietary method a lot, not follow conventional, make usb driver very complex. USB driver install EXE around 15MB to 28MB depends on version, ALL work the same.

but, when the device = sgt7 in different state/condition, the driver must RE-ESTABLISH again, or else cannot work.

I.E.
state 1 = "OPERATIONAL"device in android operation, normal use, surf web, phone call etc
state 2 = "SLEEP" device powered off, show battery big icon charging when powered by charger
state 3 = RECOVERY mode
state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode - this is one of the way to FORCE flash to recover, as long as bootloader and something still intact
state 5 = PHONE-!-PC mode
stage 6 = "COMA" device powered off, NO show of battery big icon, even when charger supplied. Don't panic, let it charge fully 4 hours from 2 amperes supply, 10 hours from PC 500mA. It will start again !!!. Battery big icon will appear around 30% battery charged, I know because that's what I saw. I didn't check when it's in 10% or 20%. The 1st time I check was already 30% up from no-boot or no respone.

User need to plug device into PC during each of the state above at least once, in order for various flashing functions to work.

i.e. when it's a newly arrived device, usually install the usb driver 1st, with device state in android OS running properly, then plug in to USB and see "new device detected" installing, pls wait. Finished.

But when flashing via Odin using state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode, user may experience no connection, no COM3 or something. Because device must be unplugged in USB, power-up in state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode, plug in USB, "new device detected" installing = RE-ESTABLISH, done. UNPLUG USB, replug in usb, then COM3 appears FLASH will be succesfull.

same goes for other state.

p.s. many users reported BRICKed but then recovered WITHOUT JTAG is misleading beginners, hence should rename the term to ???CRASH??? or ???HANG???. although some previously use "SEMI-brick", which is acceptable.

stage 3 = ClockWorkMod flashing (super convenient, especially on the move without PC)
stage 4 = Odin / Heimdall both works (still convenient and easy )
stage 5 = Odin / Heimdall both works (still convenient and easy )

???CRASH??? or ???HANG??? or "SEMI-brick" is usually SUCCESFULLY recovered via restock+PIT

(final disclaimer, incase above is correct and help and is copied, pls correct whatever mistakes found, feel free.)

*** Thanks for all those who taught me my mistakes *** devs and fellow forumers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cx5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cx5 Ad-Free
18th June 2011, 09:53 AM |#7  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Bowling Green, KY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManticoreX

This is cool, but I would recommend trying to go through Samsung first if you are still under warranty. I screwed up my primary bootloader and contacted them. They took care of shipping costs, fixed it up, and sent it back in about a week and a half. If Samsung hadn't fixed it I would defiantly have payed the $50 here though.

Yeah, warranty repair is always a better choice. But sometimes you've already voided the warranty, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacemoose1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spacemoose1 Ad-Free
18th June 2011, 10:08 AM |#8  
Flag riyadh
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I guess, if u change factory installed rom/kernel warranty gonna be history
thanx for the post ... it might gonna be the last resort...
18th June 2011, 10:22 AM |#9  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Bowling Green, KY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5

Hi spacemoose1

Thanks for link and as always, thanks for honeycomb port. I would like to ascertain the definition of BRICK? with your help, if I may.

(disclaimer: pls forgive my wrong terms or exagerated explanation, but most importantly, pls correct me if I'm wrong)

BRICKed = software total lost, must use JTAG to force revive it, Samsung has it, or buy from web supplier around 300 USD ??? 500 USD ???

JTAG is a device to push software into all newly borned IC. I.E. when factory make IC, it's empty software inside, hence has a special device to push voltage into all sections of the IC, then force the code in.

Another term is ???CRASH??? or ???HANG???, (I don't know) anyway is not BRICKed, hence a reflash can recover it.

Samsung uses proprietary method a lot, not follow conventional, make usb driver very complex. USB driver install EXE around 15MB to 28MB depends on version, ALL work the same.

but, when the device = sgt7 in different state/condition, the driver must RE-ESTABLISH again, or else cannot work.

I.E.
state 1 = "OPERATIONAL"device in android operation, normal use, surf web, phone call etc
state 2 = "SLEEP" device powered off, show battery big icon charging when powered by charger
state 3 = RECOVERY mode
state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode - this is one of the way to FORCE flash to recover, as long as bootloader and something still intact
state 5 = PHONE-!-PC mode
stage 6 = "COMA" device powered off, NO show of battery big icon, even when charger supplied. Don't panic, let it charge fully 4 hours from 2 amperes supply, 10 hours from PC 500mA. It will start again !!!. Battery big icon will appear around 30% battery charged, I know because that's what I saw. I didn't check when it's in 10% or 20%. The 1st time I check was already 30% up from no-boot or no respone.

User need to plug device into PC during each of the state above at least once, in order for various flashing functions to work.

i.e. when it's a newly arrived device, usually install the usb driver 1st, with device state in android OS running properly, then plug in to USB and see "new device detected" installing, pls wait. Finished.

But when flashing via Odin using state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode, user may experience no connection, no COM3 or something. Because device must be unplugged in USB, power-up in state 4 = DOWNLOAD mode, plug in USB, "new device detected" installing = RE-ESTABLISH, done. UNPLUG USB, replug in usb, then COM3 appears FLASH will be succesfull.

same goes for other state.

p.s. many users reported BRICKed but then recovered WITHOUT JTAG is misleading beginners, hence should rename the term to ???CRASH??? or ???HANG???. although some previously use "SEMI-brick", which is acceptable.

stage 3 = ClockWorkMod flashing (super convenient, especially on the move without PC)
stage 4 = Odin / Heimdall both works (still convenient and easy )
stage 5 = Odin / Heimdall both works (still convenient and easy )

???CRASH??? or ???HANG??? or "SEMI-brick" is usually SUCCESFULLY recovered via restock+PIT

(final disclaimer, incase above is correct and help and is copied, pls correct whatever mistakes found, feel free.)

*** Thanks for all those who taught me my mistakes *** devs and fellow forumers

I pretty much agree, but I might refine:

BRICK= Unit does not power up, visibly charge, reach a boot-screen of any kind including a service or "download" screen. A device in this state requires service from the manufacturer or an individual equipped with the proper tools. There is no other way to recover a device in this state.

SOFT-BRICK= Unit powers up, reaches a "download" or service screen, visibly charges but does not boot into an OS. Crashing, hanging etc. all apply here. It is easy to recover a device from this state so long as one has access to a firmware that was designed for the device and the ability to flash said firmware.

SEMI-BRICK= See soft-brick above

JTAG= Provides access to system hardware by applying the correct voltage to the correct pins in order to push software via an external program.

In regards to the usb drivers, there are only actually 4 states
1. Active userspace
2. Serial gadget mode
3. Recovery
4. USB storage mode

And there is a separate driver for each of these (except recovery) in the Samsung driver package that should install automatically when the device is plugged in during normal use on a stock rom, or with the installation package available on the web.

The rest of it you've got pretty much correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacemoose1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spacemoose1 Ad-Free
18th June 2011, 09:27 PM |#10  
Flag Orlando, FLA.
Thanks Meter: 76

Donate to Me
More
Money seems right, but the amount of work that guy has to go thru is amazing, so much to tare it apart, and reassemble. Then again when it is put back toether, he checks it, what if it did not take the fix... all over again.
18th June 2011, 11:18 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hardbricked Tab Save by Mobile Tech
I hardbricked my galaxy tab bought in Cambodia. My little brother open the tab trying to take the battery off and put it back on, thus void the warranty, found him on the Samsung vibrant forum, sent the tab to him got it back good as new. This person is professional, honest and good communication with his customers, you'll be happy with his work, if he can't fix it you get your money back (minus shipping and diagnosis)...Glad he is arround to help...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sovinahlinkmed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sovinahlinkmed Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)