FORUMS

Dust under screen

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By TWISM, Junior Member on 21st June 2011, 06:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I have a few specs of dust under my screen. One makes the screen look like it has a dead pixel. I called Samsung and they want me to mail it in. Pry 7 day turnaround. I bought it out of town which is s five hour round trip so an exchange is possible.

I have an ipad 2 so I would only be having small withdrawals from my tab.

Should I go ahead and send it in and hope for the best or plan a road trip. I'm leaning towards shipping it as they are paying both ways. So zero cost.

Anyone else have dust and what would you do.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App
23rd June 2011, 04:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Got the same on my white galaxy tab 10.1 that I bought at Best Buy two days ago (maybe part of the initial Google I/O limited edition batch?).
I see four particles of dust but only when there is direct light over the screen. Thinking about exchanging it.
A curiosity, is your tab the white or metallic gray model?

Thanks!
23rd June 2011, 06:05 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Had 8 specs of dust under the screen towards the top right... made me so angry I returned it and plan on waiting for a better quality tab
23rd June 2011, 07:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I had one speck and planning to return it at BB. I got the white 16GB one. I'm afraid that the replacement will have more.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App
23rd June 2011, 08:28 PM |#5  

More
Are they visible under any conditions or only under certain conditions (e.g. direct sun light over the screen)?
23rd June 2011, 08:36 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I had this issue with 2 tabs, including the one I currently have. I saw it, exchanged it at best buy, and the new one has it too. I'm waiting for them to get a new shipment to exchange it again.

Silver 32g

The dust is visible from all angles, even when the screen is off.
24th June 2011, 02:31 AM |#7  
Flag chattanooga
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm waiting on an exchange unit from compusa because my first tab had slight light bleed, specs of dust, and liquid-looking blotches under the screen only visible under direct sunlight. It also had some type of big, weird, dusty looking spot under the screen. when I first noticed the light bleed i was ok with it but after i noticed the other issues i decided to return it. I'm afraid the exchange unit will have these issues so I believe I should have sent it in to Samsung. It probably would have taken longer but atleast they'd make sure I received a tablet without these screen issues... probably lol but who knows?
24th June 2011, 07:09 AM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 65

More
I didn't take the dust under the screen thing that seriously, until today when I used my tab under some bright lights and noticed a glaring white piece of dust in one corner of the screen. Highly reflective on a black background and relatively noticeable. I'm really pretty amazed. I'm still within my Best Buy return window, and will probably bring it back tomorrow.

I'm curious, for those who returned it to Best Buy, did you tell them the true reason you were returning it and did they give you any trouble? Or did you simply say you weren't happy with it?

For those who exchanged, did any of you ultimately get a perfect unit?

Not sure if I should accept a single piece of dust in the far corner of the screen, or gamble on getting a perfect screen on the next try. Won't be much of an improvement if the next screen ends up having 8 pieces of dust and a couple of dead pixels.

Edit: Just got curious and took out a penlight. Found two more central pieces of dust under the screen. Best advice to new GTAB 10.1 owners - never look too closely at your screen. You might not be happy with what you find!
24th June 2011, 07:17 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
just made up some BS about other issues you have with the tablet.
24th June 2011, 07:30 AM |#10  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87

just made up some BS about other issues you have with the tablet.

Yup, thats what I usually do if I have a dead pixel. Not worth aruging with the salesperson about whether its a "Significant Defect". Was just wondering what Best Buys current attitude toward these things was.

Edit: Just did the next obviously necessary thing: ran the penlight over my XOOM screen. Found extremely small pinhead size specs in a few places which seem to be parts of the screen surface with slightly greater reflectance, but nothing that appears to be dust. So, the much criticized XOOM screen seems to be dust and dead pixel free, at least in my case.
28th June 2011, 02:01 AM |#11  

More
Lightbulb Mistery solved
I returned my Galaxy Tab to Best Buy for a replacement. I opened the new box crossing the fingers and ... the new tab was flawless! Zero dust anywhere!

Two days later I noticed two specs of dust under the screen. Hmm, I thought I did a pretty accurate inspection... I checked it very carefully again. Only two very small specs of dust: one on the right and one on the left side of the screen.

Today I check again and I can count eight specs of dust!

Is it possible they enter from outside?

I checked for possible gaps between the glass screen and the plastic case and I found a gap all around the edges of the glass screen. Not large but I can stick a sheet of paper in it.
Another possible explanation is that dust enters from the speaker grills and the connector socket. The position of the specs of dust is close to them. I think that the latter is the most probable cause.

Anyway, it is a fact that this is not dust that was trapped during the build process, this is dust that entered the tab in the 4 days that I used it. This means that the dust will keep accumulating: if I got eight specs of dust in 4 days I can imagine what I can get in a year!

This one goes back to Bets Buy too and this time for a refund.
It is really a pity, I really liked this tab!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)