Resumable XAPs: All the details, plus a nice tool

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Hello again ;)
I figured out a quick little change in the WMAppManifest.xml file that allows you to make your XAPs resume, rather than restart, when clicked on from the start menu.
Here's a demonstration:

So here's how it works:
In every WMAppManifest.xml file, located inside the XAPs, there's a line called "DefaultTask". In the Visual Studio IDE, there's little you can do with this line, but if you edit it post-compiling, you can actually do a lot of things. In this case, adding the term ActivationPolicy="Resume" to your DefaultTask will make the application resume the task, rather than replace it (default action). Here's an example:

Original:

Code:
<DefaultTask Name="_default" NavigationPage="PivotPage.xaml" />

Resumable:

Code:
<DefaultTask Name="_default" NavigationPage="PivotPage.xaml" ActivationPolicy="Resume"/>

This follows the same rules as the back button resuming, for example, if my dehydration hack is enabled, the code will resume instantly, and otherwise, it will resume with the usual "resuming..." message. It'll make sense ;)

Should be fairly easy for you guys to figure out, and hopefully we'll see some developers integrate this directly into their code ;)

For the end users, though, I've created a simple tool that does this patch for them, then deploys. Info and download over on my website:
http://windowsphonehacker.com/resumablexap

I'd say more, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Let me know what you guys think, if you have any questions, etc.

Your friend,
Jaxbot ;)

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Awesome. Imma try this in a bit with some .xap files I got stored somewhere... jejeje

Sent from my []D[][]V[][]D ARRIVE using Board Express

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
Cool hack thanks again :)

I have been experimenting with some xaps with this.

I found some quirky apps:

- Facebook (u already know)
- IMDB
- NU.nl
- Daily motion (does not play the video anymore)

All others I tested seem to work fine. I did not test any games.
Its probably bad coding or not storing the back history or something.

Thanks for the tool. It helps with productivity.

I btw notice more quirky behaviour with the dehydrate on (I could be mistaken)... how is your batterylife Jaxbot? Is it fine with normal use? Or do we have to be sure to close the apps etc?

Sakem

Aug 3, 2010
Are the apps stored in ram temporarily?

Does it affect general performances if you have 4/5 apps in "soft sleep" ?

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Are the apps stored in ram temporarily?

Does it affect general performances if you have 4/5 apps in "soft sleep" ?

If you have my dehydration hack enabled, yes, they're in the RAM.
In my experience, no, the performance isn't really affected (there's a reason for that), and as an example, I've had Twitter open for the last few days and I've seen no negative impacts.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com

Not really. That dehydration hack allowed applications to stay open in the background. This method allows applications to be resumed from that state, directly from the start menu.
Eg, the instant resuming allowed Twitter to be instantly resumed when the lock screen popped up, or when you dive into messages and then click Back.
This allows Twitter to be navigated from, and then returned to, say, a day later, and it will still be where you left it. Nifty, I thought.

Reactions: FlowerPotmen

blindpet

Oct 21, 2007
www.htpcguides.com
Does this new hack improve IM+ functionality? Will the app still have to reconnect with this hack? If so is this related to the lack of sockets in NoDo?

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Does this new hack improve IM+ functionality? Will the app still have to reconnect with this hack? If so is this related to the lack of sockets in NoDo?

It has to reconnect yes. This is the way IM+ is coded. However the contacts will still be displayed on the screen so its less annoying for sure.
It will look the same as opening IM+ then exit by pressing windows button, than click back, the exact same effect... only now you will have the same if you press a live tile

parnunu

Mar 4, 2009
if do this to all of your xap and dehydration hack.
it look like u have real multitask.

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
if do this to all of your xap and dehydration hack.
it look like u have real multitask.

Indeed yes... Unfortunately in some cases it screws up the order of the backbutton press and you will not be able to "escape" from apps or go back to the main Menu. IMDB, FB, some others as well will have to be recoded in order to work with this hack

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Xiaomi Mix Fold 3
Yes, but this has nothing to do with Mango. In fact, it probably wouldn't even work on Mango.
Regardless, I do appreciate the mention ;)

and I'm sorry too
I've been trying to amend it and it won't amend
However I did note in the comment it works on all devices
I sincerely apologize for the mixup darn thing didn't save at all ><
wordpress fail sorry man

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
and I'm sorry too
I've been trying to amend it and it won't amend
However I did note in the comment it works on all devices
I sincerely apologize for the mixup darn thing didn't save at all ><
wordpress fail sorry man

No worries, I know the drill ;) Just wanted to make sure you knew, wouldn't want trolls getting on ya ;)
Good luck man, and again, thanks for the mention ;)

~Jaxbot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello again ;)
    I figured out a quick little change in the WMAppManifest.xml file that allows you to make your XAPs resume, rather than restart, when clicked on from the start menu.
    Here's a demonstration:

So here's how it works:
    In every WMAppManifest.xml file, located inside the XAPs, there's a line called "DefaultTask". In the Visual Studio IDE, there's little you can do with this line, but if you edit it post-compiling, you can actually do a lot of things. In this case, adding the term ActivationPolicy="Resume" to your DefaultTask will make the application resume the task, rather than replace it (default action). Here's an example:

Original:

Code:
    <DefaultTask Name="_default" NavigationPage="PivotPage.xaml" />

Resumable:

Code:
    <DefaultTask Name="_default" NavigationPage="PivotPage.xaml" ActivationPolicy="Resume"/>

This follows the same rules as the back button resuming, for example, if my dehydration hack is enabled, the code will resume instantly, and otherwise, it will resume with the usual "resuming..." message. It'll make sense ;)

Should be fairly easy for you guys to figure out, and hopefully we'll see some developers integrate this directly into their code ;)

For the end users, though, I've created a simple tool that does this patch for them, then deploys. Info and download over on my website:
    http://windowsphonehacker.com/resumablexap

I'd say more, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Let me know what you guys think, if you have any questions, etc.

Your friend,
    Jaxbot ;)

Not really. That dehydration hack allowed applications to stay open in the background. This method allows applications to be resumed from that state, directly from the start menu.
    Eg, the instant resuming allowed Twitter to be instantly resumed when the lock screen popped up, or when you dive into messages and then click Back.
    This allows Twitter to be navigated from, and then returned to, say, a day later, and it will still be where you left it. Nifty, I thought.