FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How I fixed a broken note (can't open it, stuck constantly saving)

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By rs.saunders, Member on 24th June 2011, 02:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I had trouble with a note that crashed while recording and since then it wouldn't let me back into it. It just continually had the syncing icon in the middle of the note and when I tap on it to open, a toast message appears saying saving.

I have seen posts from others where they fixed a broken note by opening the note on another device that you sync your Evernote with, rename the tile or move the note and that fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaze00

Just ran into an issue where the app crashed while saving a note, and now I see the saving icon on top of the note, and if I click it nothing happens except I occasionally get a toast that says saving. I tried rebooting too. Going to try moving it around on the desktop and see what happens after a sync.

----
Update, editing on my PC by moving and changing the title seem to fix it.

Unfortunately for me though, my broken note was not synced to Evernote so I could not open it on another device.

Thank's to kool2zero who posted this reply from HTC because that helped me fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool2zero

Update from HTC regarding using notes offline and trying to sync an bunch of pictures and notes:

Quote:

I understand that you would like to know if there is a way to retrieve a note that was apparently deleted from your HTC Flyer before it was able to sync. I tried to duplicate this issue by disabling Wi-Fi, creating four new notes with pictures, then reenabling Wi-Fi and attempting to sync but I was unable to replicate the issue. Your best bet for seeing if the notes are still cached somewhere would be to download a file explorer, such as Astro, Linda or ES File Explorer and search the contents. You may want start by looking under SD Card> .data> HTC Notes or if you know the name of the file you lost, try searching by the file name using the file explorer.

This is is a guide how to do it the way I did:

I basically went to the .data/HtcNotes folder on SD Card, found the files for my broken note, created a new temporary note, and overwrote that new note with my broken one.

* Create a new blank note on your flyer
* Record a few seconds of voice on that note (optional) only needed if your broken note has a recording on it you need to recover too (this is so it creates the.amr file to replace)
* Plug Flyer into a PC in Disk Mode (or use a file explorer app like htc suggest)
* Browse to .data/HtcNotes directory (see attached screenshot)
* Find the folder and files related to the broken note (tip: the folder should have the same 'modified date' as your broken note)
* Copy the folder to a temporary location
* Find the folder and files related to the new blank note
* Overwrite the blank note files with your broken note files, Note: make sure the filenames of your broken note are renamed to the blank note's filename
* Disconnect from PC and open notes app on Flyer
* You should now be able to open your note and sync it to Evernote.

It worked for me but I accept no responsibility if you loose your notes, any loss of data or any other problems at all if you try this. :)

Hope this helps anyone else who has trouble with notes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HtcNotesFolder.jpg
Views:	9854
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	635505  
The Following User Says Thank You to rs.saunders For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rs.saunders Ad-Free

4th February 2014, 08:56 AM |#2  
Flag Shimla
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks very much for the tip. Had been struggling for quite long. I had recorded a couple of interviews and as the recordings were quite heavy, the HTC Notes app was crashing. The note wasn't even syncing with Evernote too.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
evernote, fix, flyer, notes

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)