FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stop trying to hack NoDo. Start hacking Mango.

147 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By WithinRafael, Senior Member on 25th June 2011, 11:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As I briefly posted on my blog Monday, Mango will no longer support the deployment of XAPs containing the ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES flag. This means you won't be able to deploy your web servers, root tools, and other assorted unsupported hackery.

With our sanctioned, dirt cheap unlock service around the corner, trying to jailbreak NoDo (without upgrade hacks) is a waste of time. I believe the ROI on time spent on hacking this interop limitation is much greater.

This limitation is implemented in PacmanInstaller.exe (on the phone); it scans the manifest for the flag and bails with HRESULT 0x81030120.

As Mango FFUs haven't been released yet, I haven't tested upgrade path 'hacks'; worse, this behavior doesn't appear to be reproducible in the emulator limiting current testing to those w/ Mango phones. (That should change in the next few weeks, hopefully.)

I'm interested to see what ideas you guys have!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WithinRafael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WithinRafael Ad-Free

25th June 2011, 11:54 AM |#2  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 45

More
How does Microsoft even explain this? What's the point in allowing your unlock officially and then blocking the very functionality we unlock devices for?

Maybe this is a temporary problem?
25th June 2011, 12:04 PM |#3  
Flag Linz
Thanks Meter: 119

More
As far as Microsoft is concerned the new Unlock variant is for people who want to develop for their devices but without intention to publish the results to the Marketplace, e.g. people who want to play around with things.

If you're a Nokia Dev today you get the unlock for free - allowing people to access undocumented APIs is not what Microsoft wants to happen but more to make people experiment with the platform and then perhaps publish their work to Marketplace later on - but that would not be able to happen if those experiments used COM-Interop which is not allowed on the Marketplace.
25th June 2011, 12:26 PM |#4  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Well, this way, from an end user perspective, unlocking is useful only for piracy. Getting sideloading without extended capabilities is a weird proposition.

Re hacking Mango, I guess people need to get it on their phones somehow to begin with.
25th June 2011, 01:37 PM |#5  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,629

Donate to Me
More
In the other thread I requested that everyone who upgrades makes a wireshark log and post it here, so we can tear it apart. I also left some instductions there.

Plz also let know if apps with native code survive the upgrade and if the chevron unlock with prevent relock survives the update.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74
25th June 2011, 03:40 PM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 226

Donate to Me
More
mfw i already found out a possible solution how to bypass this.
>NoDo needed before Mango.

No trolling. Also, cant say it here on xda, then the Microsofties will pick it up and block...

>Trusted people i can tell, sry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fiinix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fiinix Ad-Free
25th June 2011, 04:23 PM |#7  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 12

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for sharing this secret, but up to this moment, Ansar way (flashing stock ROM, then using advanced configuration utility to avoid relocking) is the only effective way.
25th June 2011, 08:26 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Bellevue, WA
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Exclamation
One could write an application for NoDo, for example a ChevronWP7 Homebrew Enabler, that uses native APIs to modify manifests of homebrew applications found on the phone. Then upgrade to Mango.

There are lots of upgrade scenarios but we have to remember -- new phones will only ship with Mango.
25th June 2011, 08:46 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
yeah lets tell rafael and his ms homies how the people here try to hack mango, so that he can tell ms to fix it before mango released to everyone.

I hope you wont tell a thing in the public @ fiinix, jaxbox, heathcliff
25th June 2011, 08:59 PM |#10  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diboze

rafael and his ms homies

Really? Rafael informs us of an important issue that we should try resolving, and your response is "OMG he's in bed with Microsoft let's ostracize him"? That saddens me.
25th June 2011, 09:20 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
@arktronic: please...you cant be this naive...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
81030120, homebrew, interopservices, mango

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)