Wildfire (buzz) S-OFF, ROOTING,
& Flashing CM7 Full Guide
I am not responsible if your phone gets bricked, by following the process you are voiding your warranty and significant damage may be caused to your device.
If you are naive enough to screw somewhere, then it is your responsibility.
Software are unpredictable in nature, one may/may not act as predicted especially in case of rooting (personal experience). Hence my friend, treat with ULTRA care.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE
(Please Read Through Before Starting Any Process)
With reference to member "euqiddis", regarding "backup". He's absolutely right !!
So here we go,
- Before doing anything, make sure you have the latest HTC SYNC on your PC (get it from here).
- Connect your phone to PC and sync all your data (contacts, media, docs...etc.)
- Disconnect your phone, then uninstall HTC SYNC, but you must leave the drivers on your PC.
Downgrade to HTC Froyo WWE for AlphaRevX "now named: Revolutionary" (HBOOT 1.01.0001)
It has been confirmed that AlphaRevX "Revolutionary" tool is not S-OFFing wildfire (buzz) 2.2.1, with HBOOT 1.01.0002!
Therefore, downgrading the HBOOT to 1.01.0001 is must for the meantime, to get an efficient S-OFF.
Lots of people seem to be having issues when trying to downgrade their Wildfire from a carrier-branded version (HBOOT 1.01.0002) to unbranded WWE (HBOOT 1.01.0001).
So, here’s a small package to help you do this.
Extract this package somewhere you can find it, like your “Desktop” for example.
Step 1: run step1.bat from the package. This will downgrade your MISC partition to allow for the RUU downgrade.
At the end, GoldCardTool will start up, to allow you to create a goldcard which you will need before starting Step 2.
How to deal with Gold-Card Tool:
1. Switch off your phone, remove your microSD card.
2. Insert the microSD card into your card reader, connect it to your computer and format the card to FAT32 file system.
3. Insert the card into your HTC Wildfire and power it on.
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone in Menu > Settings > Applications > Development.
5. Connect the phone to your computer via USB and set the mode to charge only.
6. Launch Gold-Card Tool on your computer and click ‘GetCID’.
7. Copy the CID code from the text box and click the link shown below that text box to open it in your browser window.
8. In the browser window, enter all the details required and submit that form.
9. You should now get an email from PSAS. Open it and download the ‘GoldCard.img’ attachment.
10. Now set your phone’s USB mode to Mass Storage.
11. In Gold-Card Tool, click ‘Refresh’.
12. Select your mounted SD card from the drop-down menu saying “HTC MMC:”
13. Click ‘Load Goldcard.img’ and select the file downloaded in Step 11.
14. Click ‘Patch MMC’ and your Gold Card will be created. You may exit Gold Card Tool once done.
After you've made the goldcard, and patched it, continue with step 2.
• Step 2: run step2.bat from the package. This will downgrade your ROM version to HTC WWE Froyo for Wildfire (unbranded).
If you get a Customer ID error while doing this, your goldcard is not working!
Create a new goldcard and re-run step2.
1st You need to get to: http://revolutionary.io/ to download the tool, and to get your “beta key” which you’ll get in a pop-up window in the same download page after you click the download link for (windows version).
The “beta key” is a must; the tool won’t work without it!
You’ll be asked to provide your phone “serial no.”, typically it should be something like HTXXETDXXXXX, and you can get it from:
Settings --> about phone --> phone identity.
Now, do the following:
1. Run latest version of HTC Sync on your PC and connect phone in HTC Sync mode and sync all your files. Remove HTC Sync and not the drivers.
2. Reboot phone.
3. Settings->Applications->Development->Check “USB Debugging”.
4. Run Revolutionary and connect phone to PC in “Charge Only mode”.
5. Revolutionary should recognize your phone and show your Device Serial number.
7. Type out the “key” in the Revolutionary tool software, keeping in mind the upper and lower case letters and press enter (you can copy / paste the key).
8. Revolutionary should start doing its job and you’ll get S-OFF in less than 90 seconds.
9. If it takes longer, just wait for the 15 minutes mark, if nothing, then reboot phone and retry.
(Some members got S-OFF after multiple tries)
Rooting the device:
Step 1 - Installing the USB drivers
Download USB drivers (here) and extract them on desktop. Turn off your wildfire and boot into HBOOT by holding the VOLUME DOWN + POWER button. Connect your phone to your PC and it will show "drivers installing" or similar there for Android device. When prompted, install the drivers by going to device manager and browsing to the folder where you extracted the drivers. Once installed, disconnect and reboot your phone normally.
Now you need to install the “Android bootloader interface”.
Connect your HTC wildfire to the PC and it will ask for drivers again, now go to device manager, click on unknown device “other devices”.
Click on update driver -> install from specific location -> No i will choose to install -> choose Android phone and click on “adb interface” -> click next -> when asked to install click on continue anyway, just install them.
Once done you will see your phone recognized as "Android bootloader interface".
Now disconnect your phone and go into:
Settings -> applications - > development - > enable USB Debugging.
At that point, I got a real headache trying to fix that driver thing! What happened with me was totally different, the windows (7, 32-bit) didn’t seem to recognize any of these drivers and I was really so desperate, was about to give up the whole thing!
But, I’ve tried something that perfectly worked, and the driver was fixed!
How? Here we go:
If the drivers didn’t work, proceed with Step 2.
While the RUU installation is proceeding it will fix the driver itself, the installation will stop giving you a connection error, don’t panic, just exit, restart your computer (keep your phone connected, DO NOT unplug it), then start the RUU again, it will proceed normally till the end.
Step 2 - Downgrading from Android 2.2.1 Froyo to Android 2.1 Éclair
Download the RUU rom (here) which is an original stock rom. Plug your phone into the PC and set it to "Charge through USB". Double click RUU rom .exe
Follow the on screen instructions and then let it install. Your phone will reboot into stock HTC 2.1
This will be the last time you will be seeing it though.
Step 3 - Gaining root using Unrevoked, get ClockworkMod and set your phone free
Download the test version of unrevoked (here). Let me repeat, DO NOT USE UNREVOKED 3.32 as it will lead to CID errors or to be precise this error
"Validation error, backup CID is missing"
This may be caused as the 3.32 does not support the HBOOT. Hence you need specific test version of Unrevoked 3.2 to do the job. Download it, save it on desktop, and run it. Now connect your phone and the rooting will start. Once done, you will have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
Reboot your phone now (using the VOLUME UP/DOWN key for navigation and clicking using TRACKBALL, the POWER button takes you back in menus). Once rebooted, you will see the “Superuser” app in your phone and....
congratulations, your phone is successfully rooted.
Flashing CM-7 ROM (or any other ROM)
Installing CyanogenMod 7 (Android Gingerbread 2.3.3)
Download the CyanogenMod 7 (here) (choose stable mod) for best results and download the latest version.
You will also need Google apps (here) or here (for latest version).
Place both files on desktop, connect your phone as USB disk-drive and transfer both zip files on SD card. Once done, reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery (booting by holding the VOLUME DOWN + POWER button and clicking on recovery)
Once the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery, use the side VOLUME buttons to move around, and either the POWER button or the TRACKBALL to select.
• Select the option to “Wipe data/factory reset”.
• Then select the option to “Wipe cache partition”.
• Select Install zip from SDcard.
• Select Choose zip from SDcard.
• Choose update-cm-7.0.3-buzz-signed.zip & Let it install.
• Once done, Select Install zip from SDcard.
• Select Choose zip from SDcard, choose gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
• Once the installation has finished, get back to the main menu by clicking the POWER button and select the “Reboot system now” option.
The HTC Wildfire should now boot into CyanogenMod
Now all what you need to do is to download and install some essential applications which will make your wildfire much more stylish and amazing.
It's my own collection, but these apps have fixed most of my problems with cm7.
Download apps here.
I have to thank everyone and all the threads' owners that I've collected and rearranged their work.
Hope it was useful..