Why I posted it? Since I have had enough of complaints about screwed phones via ROM Manager, also there is some broken rf.sh script I have heard of.
- Download (see attachment) the flash_image.zip
- unzip it
- and put the flash_image binary on the root of your SD card (via USB cable).
- Dowload a recovery of your choice (CWM or AmonRA) from this thread.
- Unzip it on your local box and find the recovery.img file.
- Put the recovery.img to the root of your SD Card (via USB cable)
Step 3a - via terminal emulator
- Run terminal emulator on your phone (download one from market if you do not have it yet, duh!)
- type these command exactly: $ denotes a normal user, # denotes root. This character should NOT be typed into terminal emulator!
$ su # mount -o remount rw /system # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image # chmod 755 /system/xbin/flash_image # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img # mount -o remount ro /system # reboot recovery
- Install Android SDK (EXE installer recommended for Windows users.)
- run command prompt (cmd.exe) on your Windows box, or run the following from shell on your Linux box:
> adb shell $ su # mount -o remount rw /system # cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image # chmod 755 /system/xbin/flash_image # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img # mount -o remount ro /system # exit $ exit > adb reboot recovery
Now you should find yourself in your shiny new custom recovery. Do whatever you need there.
Q: Is not there an easier way? This seems like a lot of typing? It sucks - I have heard about ROM Manager!
A: ROM Manager's way of flashing recovery is broken by design. Do NOT use it unless you are comfortable with rescuing your phone via ADB/fastboot like many people before.
Q: I already have custom recovery. Do I need to do this if I want to switch from CWM to AmonRA or vice versa?
A: No. This thread has recovery ZIPs when can be flashed from recovery itself.
Q: HELP!!! I screwed and now my phone is stuck in fastboot mode! What should I do?!?!
A: You are officially lame, very lame person. Now go here to fix it.
Q: But my phone is not rooted (no su binary) - the above does not work! I tried to root it via z4root, GingerBreak, SuperOneClick but everything failed! What should I do? Am I stuck with stock ROM?
A: No! See the LGMDP method below.