FORUMS

[HOWTO] Flashing recovery image via shell / via LGMDP.exe on unrooted phone

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By doktornotor, Guest on 29th June 2011, 11:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This HOWTO is only useful for people who have NOT yet installed a stock recovery or who have lost the custom recovery after KDZ or LGMDP flash.

Why I posted it? Since I have had enough of complaints about screwed phones via ROM Manager, also there is some broken rf.sh script I have heard of.

Step 1:
- Download (see attachment) the flash_image.zip
- unzip it
- and put the flash_image binary on the root of your SD card (via USB cable).

Step 2:
- Dowload a recovery of your choice (CWM or AmonRA) from this thread.
- Unzip it on your local box and find the recovery.img file.
- Put the recovery.img to the root of your SD Card (via USB cable)

Step 3a - via terminal emulator

- Run terminal emulator on your phone (download one from market if you do not have it yet, duh!)
- type these command exactly: $ denotes a normal user, # denotes root. This character should NOT be typed into terminal emulator!

Code:
$ su
# mount -o remount rw /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/xbin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/flash_image
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# mount -o remount ro /system
# reboot recovery
or

Step 3b:
- Install Android SDK (EXE installer recommended for Windows users.)
- run command prompt (cmd.exe) on your Windows box, or run the following from shell on your Linux box:
Code:
> adb shell
$ su
# exit
$ exit
> adb reboot recovery
Step 4:

Now you should find yourself in your shiny new custom recovery. Do whatever you need there.

Q: Is not there an easier way? This seems like a lot of typing? It sucks - I have heard about ROM Manager!
A: ROM Manager's way of flashing recovery is broken by design. Do NOT use it unless you are comfortable with rescuing your phone via ADB/fastboot like many people before.

Q: I already have custom recovery. Do I need to do this if I want to switch from CWM to AmonRA or vice versa?
A: No. This thread has recovery ZIPs when can be flashed from recovery itself.

Q: HELP!!! I screwed and now my phone is stuck in fastboot mode! What should I do?!?!
A: You are officially lame, very lame person. Now go here to fix it.

Q: But my phone is not rooted (no su binary) - the above does not work! I tried to root it via z4root, GingerBreak, SuperOneClick but everything failed! What should I do? Am I stuck with stock ROM?
A: No! See the LGMDP method below.
Attached Files
File Type: zip flash_image.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.9 KB, 5110 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doktornotor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doktornotor Ad-Free
29th June 2011, 05:16 PM |#2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Nice guide
This way newbies won't be confused where to search.

BTW, a little mistake: in the adb codes it's flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
The Following User Says Thank You to 22VIN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 22VIN Ad-Free
doktornotor
30th June 2011, 08:43 AM |#3  

More
Alternative method: Flashing custom recovery via LGMDP.exe

Tried to root it via z4root, GingerBreak, SuperOneClick but everything failed? No problem! Flash the recovery via LGMDP.

Step 1:

Download P500-CWM-3.1.0.0.zip (CWM 3.1.0.0 included, if you want something else, replace recovery.img with whatever you want) and unzip it.

Step 2:

- Browse to the folder where you unpacked the ZIP and run LGMDP-v1.5.exe
- Click Download in menu
- Select Port
- Choose your phone, click Connect
- Click Image Folder button, browse to the directory where you unpacked this
- Click OK about 3 times on the warnings
- Close the window
- Click Download button
- Let it do the job. It will backup your IMEI and MACs to .NV2 file, reboot your phone, flash recovery and restore the NV2 backup. Do NOT interrupt it or disconnect your phone until it says "Download complete"! Do NOT delete the NV2 backup!

Step 3:

Done! Now when you press Home + Volume Down + Power, you should find yourself in your shiny new custom recovery. Now you can flash a rooted ROM via flash zip menu.

Q: I am a moron and have interrupted the process. Now I get a black screen with some weird fastboot text, what to do? HELP!!!!
A: Yes, you are a moron. See [HOWTO] Revive a bricked P500 on fastboot mode (the SHORT way) thread.

Q: Can I just quickly root my stock ROM after flashing recovery? I do not want a custom ROM.
A: Yes. Download su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and flash it from recovery. Reboot, download Busybox Installer from the market, run and install busybox on your phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
doktornotor
30th June 2011, 08:48 AM |#4  

More
--- reserved ---
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
30th June 2011, 04:28 PM |#5  
Flag Here...
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thx doktor, it helps some of my friend who lost their recovery while upgrading to official GB...
+1
30th June 2011, 04:44 PM |#6  
Flag msk
Thanks Meter: 377

More
Nice one man, really useful and funny text.
30th June 2011, 04:45 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag /dev/null
Thanks Meter: 4,469

More
Yo,added this to the N00B repo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bytecode For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bytecode Ad-Free
8th July 2011, 09:58 AM |#8  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 6

More
"Q: Can I just quickly root my stock ROM after flashing recovery? I do not want a custom ROM.
A: Yes. Download su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and flash it from recovery. Reboot, download Busybox Installer from the market, run and install busybox on your phone."

In reference to the above words, cud i use this as a method to root my stock GB 2.3.3??? cos nothing else seems to root it and installing sdk and adb and all tat, seems too complex!
doktornotor
8th July 2011, 10:22 AM |#9  

More
Of course.
8th July 2011, 10:52 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 823

Donate to Me
More
nice guide TS
but this guide also can use for thunderg recovery right ???
and i not quite understanding ur step 3a
which is this :

Quote:

type these command exactly: $ denotes a normal user, # denotes root. This character should NOT be typed into terminal emulator!

but in my mind just type EXACTLY what the below quote write

Quote:

$ su
# reboot recovery

but you say the things in 1st post make me confuse
so just follow and type the word exactly ???
doktornotor
8th July 2011, 11:03 AM |#11  

More
No comment, everything I wanted to say has been censored
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flash_image, howto, recovery

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)