Note:this is a mashup of many sources. The only thing I take credit for is mashing it all up into one post. Many other users made all these news bits possible, and credit goes to many for keeping us updated as well.
LAST UPDATED:30 JULY 2011
MEGA UPDATE 30th July
Gingerbread love is spreading hot and fast all over our X10 devices. Some nice users have made reviews and bundled all ftfs, so people can flash easily and have a good look at what to expect.
Review of STOCK 2.3.3 Gingerbread by Sammyjc89:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9a3s_n9U-c
Sony Ericsson have said that The rollout will commence and finish in a week, so if you don't have it now you can either wait OR flash this pre-rooted and ready-to-go Gingerbread from Doomlord. It's up to you!
UPDATE 27th July
WHY HELLO THERE. HOPEFULLY THIS REALLY BIG AND SHOCKING PINK TEXT HAS YOUR ATTENTION. NOW, WE ALL KNOW THAT REGIONAL SE SITES AND NEWS SITES ARE SAYING THAT THE GB UPDATE IS OUT. WELL, IT ISN'T YET. WE KNOW THAT. YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST ONE TO NOTICE THIS. YOU ARE NOT EVEN THE THOUSANDTH TO NOTICE THIS. NOW STOP POSTING ABOUT IT.
Ok, in other news. Thanks to these PMs, we now have a rough idea of what's going on.
Europe should be receiving their update this Friday. Other regions by end of next week.
AT&T will not be updating the X10 to GB. they released that 2011 phones will be updated.
here is press release link along with what phones will get update: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...126113088.html
my post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1032
also might want to add that link everyone keeps posting... they don't act stupid and keep posting it.
UPDATE 26th July
Sony Ericsson has confirmed on Facebook that the Android 2.3 Xperia X10 update should be landing this week. “The launch of the 2.3 software for X10 is getting closer, and the planned release date is approx. w30. The date could still be changed, since the launch is depending on operators approval,” says a posting by a Sony Ericsson employee.
Week 30 runs from 25th July to 31st July i.e. this week and means if everything goes to plan the Gingerbread update will be rolling out in the coming days. We’ll bring you any news as soon as we have it, but in the meantime see the Sony Ericsson statement in full after the break.
UPDATE 25th July
I can't believe I missed this important information, but here it is. This was posted back in May but I overlooked it completely.
I already got some confirmation that if you modified the firmware or using any modded firmware, you will not be able to update to 2.3. The updater will give you a message that your firmware is not genuine. Like I said, to update, just switch back to SE's stock firmware and do not root it. Root AFTER you update to 2.3.
UPDATE 23rd July
As the release date gets closer and closer, rumours spread farther and farther. And one such rumour is that the update might come out in China next week.
Translation over here.
Of course if we were to believe all rumours then the X10 would have a quad core processor with 16 Megapixel camera and a proximity sensor that is also a front camera, and a screen capable of displaying 256 million colours and 73 touches, so take all news with a grain of salt. What is for sure, though, is that the update looks to be coming smoothly and on time.
Please note, though. The update will not come all at once. As in, some countries will get it before other countries, so it could still take a month or two to come to, say, Uganda. But, things look good so far .
UPDATE 20th July
-As we near release date, there seems to be a NEW leaked official 2.3 video of the X10! It seems we are just a week or two away from release!
VIDEO FOUND HERE.
-SE Brazil have confirmed there will be NO MULTITOUCH and what they said was wrong, and have apologized.The buggy dualtouch we have now will remain.
UPDATE 8th July
A few things have gone on, positive things, that confirm that the update is going according to plan and WILL release in August, preferably early August.
-SE is allegedly testing the X10 on Android 2.3.4. What this means for us, I don't know, and some people are saying this might delay the update, but.....
-PTCRB, which shows all of the updates that are upcoming to a device,shows a new upcoming update for the X10, called 3.0.1.G.0.70. That is the Gingerbread update, since GB are classified as 3.X.X.X firmware numbers. The update can now come anytime from tomorrow to next month, but it IS close.
-Thanks to My_Immortal for these small updates:[*] We don't know if Gingerbread on our X10s will be rootable immediately.
There are some doubts when taking into consideration the Arc 2.3.3 firmware, in which the X10 GB is based[*]We don't know if we will be able to downgrade with FlashTool to the rootable 2.1.[*]If the bootloader unlock is released, we might be able to flash kernels that allow root exploit/busybox installation etc.[*]Modified firmware and ROMs (aka all custom ROMs) will cause SEUS to say your software isn't genuine and SEUS WILL NOT WORK. So remember to be back on stock firmware BEFORE the 2.3 update!
------MAIN POST/ALL OTHER INFO----
So, here it goes.
What we know
- The update is coming out early August 2011
- This will update the X10 to Android 2.3.3
- The update will wipe all user data. Look below for how to backup and restore your data.
- ALL generic kits (unbranded) will get the 2.3.3 update. People on contracts MIGHT NOT get the update, it depends on the phone company and whether they are willing to update. That is not in SE's control.
- The update will include Xperia Arc apps, including (but not limited to) full Facebook Inside Xperia, Media discovery widget, new Timescape, new Music app with Equalizer
- The update will include the 2.1 Eclair X10 Camera UI
- The update will NOT include DLNA support
- The update WILL add native tethering/hotspot, Apps to SD, and Adobe flash support
- The update will include most of the Arc UI, including the new launcher
- The update will only be released through the PC programs Sony Ericsson Update Service or PC Companion. You cannot update it On the Air, aka through the phone.
- There will be no multitouch, and instead keep the buggy dualtouch we have now.
- It will be impossible to go back to stock 2.1 once the update is released (officially, still possible if phone is flashable).
What is tentative/What we DO NOT know
Rikard has made a comment on the blog mentioning a few things about his PROTOTYPE X10 gingerbread he got. This is what he said. I say this is TENTATIVE because it is a prototype build he has and is subject to change.
- The update WILL NOT add 16m colors, WILL NOT have an unlocked bootloader
- The update MIGHT uncap the FPS. Rikard has said that they are working on it, but that's all the info we have right now.
- The X10 is being tested on Android 2.3.4, apparently.
- We don't know if Gingerbread on our X10s will be rootable immediately.
There are some doubts when taking into consideration the Arc 2.3.3 firmware, in which the X10 GB is based
- We don't know if we will be able to downgrade with FlashTool to the rootable 2.1.
- If the bootloader unlock is released, we might be able to flash kernels that allow root exploit/busybox installation etc.
There are many, crucial differences between this GB update and the stock 2.1 and the custom ROMs right now. Firstly, Gingerbread is much faster than 2.1 Eclair, almost 4-5 times faster. The software itself has been so heavily tweaked since 2.1, that it's a completely new OS, and a much better one. The improvements don't stop at speed either. New functionality has been added. There is now native tethering, like what is present on the iPhone 4, so you don't need an app to tether, it's there in the OS. Another crucial feature is Apps to SD. You can move your apps to your SD card, which means you can free up much more space and have much more apps than the 350 odd MB you only had before.also, Adobe flash will also be supported so you can watch YouTube, or any flash video, right from your browser.
As for custom ROMs. Yes, they're great, like Jerpeplea's CM7 Gingerbread, or Trip's GB MIUI. But, they're not fully functional. One of their biggest shortcomings is a lack of 8MP camera. That won't happen until SE update their drivers to work with Gingerbread, and that will only happen when they release the official version. Also, due to kernel incompatibilities (running 2.3 on a 2.1 kernel), there are instability problems that can be ironed out immediately after SE release their update. So, if you don't like the bloatware SE put on their stock ROM, just wait a few days after release and it's guaranteed that the devs would have finally finished, fully, a working, and fast, custom ROM
A crucial point to remember
This update will wipe all your data, including SMSs, apps, contacts, etc. Contacts should be taken care of with google sync, but to backup your SMS and Apps, I suggest to do the following.
1.Root the phone using Flashtool
2.Download, from the market, Titanium Backup/Mybackup Root AND Mybackup (regular one). Then, backup everything you want.
The regular mybackup will be used to backup your SMSes, playlists and APKS (NOT YOUR APK DATA). The Mybackup Root will be used to backup your APK DATA (saves for games, stuff like that), since root is required to save data.
That said, there's a problem to this. When GB comes out, it might take some time for the devs to root the phone, so you won't be able to restore your app data for a while because Mybackup Root won't work, but all stuff backed up using regular Mybackup will restore fine.
Also, things saved on the SD card will not be affected.
Videos and Sources
KunalGahlot and others,
1) 16M Colors – No, sorry.
2) Upgraded from dual touch – No, still dual touch with focus on pinch gestures, as described in earlier posts and video on that update.
3) No as Karl-Johan has been clear on over at the developer blog this does not enable bootloader unlock on X10.
4) FPS cap, I still haven’t got all details around that but are still trying to get a final answer. Do you have a suggestion on a proper way for me to test on the SW I have?