FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Solution to orphan apps in storage

777 posts
Thanks Meter: 357

By arpruss, Senior Member on 4th July 2011, 01:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I posted this a variant of this in the general Android app forum, but the experiments there suggest that the problem may be Archos-specific.

I noticed that after resetting Android on my A43 a couple of times, there were a number of orphan applications in the external storage area. You move an app to /storage on Android 2.2 or higher. Then you reset Android, and you reinstall your apps. Well, it turns out that the app in the storage area can stay there, and a new copy is installed beside it. So, now, you have two 21mb encrypted apk files for Angry Birds sitting there, taking up room on /storage, and you never notice because they're in the hidden secure area on the card. There

I don't know how common this problem is. But I intend to find out. To that end, I made an app that searches that area and, if you allow it, cleans it up. It needs a rooted 2.2 or higher device.

You can download it and run it. But I ask one thing. If you do download it and run it, let me know (a) what device you're using with which OS version, and (b) how much total orphan space it reported being taken up (if it's zero, let me know that, too). You can send me this information by email to [email protected] or just post in this thread. Oh, and bug reports, too, of course.

And one suggestion. If you run this after a reboot, wait for all the icons to show up in the launcher. (The important thing is not to run it before the SD-based app areas get mounted, or CleanApp will think there are more orphans than there are.)

Here it is.

5th July 2011, 09:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4,306

More
Thanks for posting - seems like you've been busy recently!

Worked fine on my A101 - saved me .... 23.3kb!!

FWIW: Tried it on my Desire too .. runs fine, but no orphan files found.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)