FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cheap hardware fault...

83 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By chancooluk, Member on 7th July 2011, 06:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've had my optimus black for a few hours now and i'm really liking the screen!

I bought it after being slightly disappointed with the screen and speaker on my desire S (which I still have).

I'm a bit disappointed with the plastic feeling though, and i'm getting a "grip of death" problem with 3G when holding it with my left hand (it loses 2-3 bars compared to holding it in my right hand).

Also i've just noticed a build quality issue on mine, the grill that covers the earpiece has fallen down. I can lift it back up with a pin, but it quickly falls back down again. It looks like the glue didn't work. There is also a small imperfection in the glass right underneath the earpiece. Pic is attached.

Has anybody else had any issues with the cheap build quality?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	648192  

8th July 2011, 12:20 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancooluk

I bought it after being slightly disappointed with the screen and speaker on my desire S (which I still have).

I'm a bit disappointed with the plastic feeling though, and i'm getting a "grip of death" problem with 3G when holding it with my left hand (it loses 2-3 bars compared to holding it in my right hand).

Also i've just noticed a build quality issue on mine, the grill that covers the earpiece has fallen down. I can lift it back up with a pin, but it quickly falls back down again. It looks like the glue didn't work. There is also a small imperfection in the glass right underneath the earpiece. Pic is attached.

I've had no real issues with the build quality.

I do hear a very light squeaking sound when I squeeze the right side of my phone, the plastic side of the back cover.

I'm also happy to know that the LG Optimus Black also has Gorilla Glass (discussed here and listed here).

You may want to return your phone for a replacement if the grill keeps coming off.
8th July 2011, 06:51 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy
Ouch, now I'm chicken out to buy this phone.
Iphone4like antenna problem? Bad building quality? (with the known aspect ratio issue) Eeerrrrr, I think I'll choose another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancooluk

9th July 2011, 09:22 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I have no issues so far. I hold the phone with right hand i can't replicate the issue. I'm actually quite impressed with the durability considering the plastic nature of it.
9th July 2011, 04:24 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
so you think it's not a general issue, with the death grip?
10th July 2011, 08:57 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This is my first Android phone so i have nothing else to compare to, but it seems i don't lose any signal holding it. But i do have smallish hands so it might be just that.

So don't take my word for it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)