[ROM][JULE19]-=Virtuous Thrive v. 1.0.1=- [Honeycomb 3.1][Kernel: UNITY V8]

2,615 posts
Thanks Meter: 12,696

By mdeejay, Retired Recognized Developer on 18th July 2011, 11:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
discontinued on XDA

Quote:

Quote:

Based on Toshiba Thrive OTA 01.5.0022 (Honeycomb 3.1 HMJ37)
Kernel:
2.6.36.4 UNITY V8 OC kernel

If you want to use it as base then you must have the permission from us. If you want to join us to improve the ROM please contact us and we will be happy to find new members.

Quote:

- 99.9% stock Toshiba Thrive ROM
- Awesome SRS postprocessing & Equalizer
- Multilanguages
- Improved EXT4 performance
- Ultra Fast
- Virtuous CPU scaling scripts - READ MORE
- Deodexed
- Zipaligned
- 216-1200MHz default
- OC up to 1600MHz (with SetCPU or other apps)
- Busybox / Superuser
- 3G modem support (Huawei)
- Nano text editor support
- Bash command shell support
- and more

Quote:

Issues (WIP):
- microSD mounted in "/storages/sdcard-disk0" or "mnt/storages/sdcard-disk0"
- USB Flash Drive mounted in "/storages/usb0-disk0" or "mnt/storages/usb0-disk0"
- you tell me

Quote:

- Flash via ClockworkMod Recovery
[TUTORIAL] How to Flash Virtuous Rom On the Acer Iconia A500:
(Thanks to cfcoleman)

Quote:

V1.0.1 Full ROM:
http://www.multiupload.com/DE8VNOGAMY
Audio fix for v.1.0.1: http://www.multiupload.com/16KBWLBKU7
Do a full wipe & format /system before first flash

More Info & GPL:
Acer: http://www.acer.com/
Kernel: http://gitorious.org/picasso-hc-kern...asso-hc-kernel
Credits: Google, Virtuous Dev Team (m-deejay, seo), fguy, roggin & others
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mdeejay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdeejay Ad-Free
18th July 2011, 11:10 PM |#2  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Abakan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Screenshots:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdeejay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdeejay Ad-Free
18th July 2011, 11:10 PM |#3  
Flag Abakan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Changelog:

Code:
v.1.0.1:
- Fixed mount USB Drives
- Removed Toshiba File Manager
- Added ES File Explorer
- Other minor fixes & tweaks
v.1.0.0: - http://www.multiupload.com/HBO8ISCD1C
- Initial Release
Quote:

Introduction to the new Overclocking Daemon

This ROM features a completely new way of Overclocking and managing screen states.

The History
But before explaining it further, let's talk about previous solutions.
There are several different approaches to archieve "screen-state-scaling".
That means basically that the govenor changes if you turn the screen off and changes back to normal when turning the screen on.

This is mainly used to restrict the amount of CPU usage (the frequency in fact) during screen off. This can lead to a major battery life increase.

The solutions so far were:
  • App like SetCPU, which change automatically the govenor based on profiles
  • integrated solutions in the govenor itself

Both these solutions have major problems.

The one with a tuner app is always a little laggy right after turning on the screen because SetCPU (or any other CPU tuner) needs some time to change the govenors (up to 7 seconds). This leads mostly to major lag in the lockscreen.

The second solution is the smartass govenor. It has already a screen-state-scaling included, so it reduces the frequency when the screen turn off.
This could be a really nice solution but it has some problems too.
Smartass most of the time is not really stable and has problems with its frequency scaling.

State-of-the-art-solution
So we (more precisely rmk40) thought of a better solution.
He wrote a native C Daemon which changes the govenors instantly without any lag.

This leads to major performance improvements right after turning on the screen and in the lockscreen.

But at the moment this solution is a little bit harder to configure. We are plaing to make a GUI for this, so you get the same comfort as using SetCPU.
Nevertheless you can even now adjust the daemon to your needs.

Be aware that the daemon only works if all CPU tuner apps are deinstalled. Otherwise it deactivates itself.
Quote:

How to adjust the daemon

The daemon is configured with 6 files in the folder /system/etc/virtuous_oc/.
There are 3 files for the wake state and 3 for the sleep state. For each state one file for the govenor, one for the minimal frequency and one for the maximal frequency.

You can easily edit these files eg. with RootExplorer or any other app which can edit system files. So you can adjust the frequencies and the govenor for each state just like with SetCPU.

In order to get the available frequencies for the current kernel, just open your favorite terminal app and type
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
You could also use adb shell to show the frequencies on your computer.

To get the available govenors use a similar approach:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

Please make sure, you are entering the right values in the daemon's config files.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdeejay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdeejay Ad-Free
kjy2010
18th July 2011, 11:30 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
deejay, not to question your motives, nor your talent, because you churn out more ROMS than any other dev on the A500 forums, but whatever possessed you to port the Thrive over to the A500?!?!?
I had this tablet for three days last week before taking it back for a full refund.
The initial build had the "infamous" sleep bug built in right from the factory. Toshiba was aware of it, and as of last week were supposedly working hard to correct it.
It has a very nice stock video player in it, but other than that, IMHO the rom was horrid!
Knowing you, you've probably already worked the sleep bug out of it, even though the devs at Toshiba couldn't lol!
18th July 2011, 11:30 PM |#5  
Flag IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER :)
Thanks Meter: 319

More
Wow! That was quick

Will be havin' a go on this

MJ-12
18th July 2011, 11:31 PM |#6  
Flag Hollywood, FL
Thanks Meter: 57

More
How come no other responses? This is either brand spankin new or after they run it it killed everyone!

PS. Just got home and found 1.1.1 of Xoom at 4% (from 85%) last night. It said Android took 54% and 19 hours of the battery.
18th July 2011, 11:33 PM |#7  
Flag Abakan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjy2010

deejay, not to question your motives, nor your talent, because you churn out more ROMS than any other dev on the A500 forums, but whatever possessed you to port the Thrive over to the A500?!?!?
I had this tablet for three days last week before taking it back for a full refund.
The initial build had the "infamous" sleep bug built in right from the factory. Toshiba was aware of it, and as of last week were supposedly working hard to correct it.
It has a very nice stock video player in it, but other than that, IMHO the rom was horrid!
Knowing you, you've probably already worked the sleep bug out of it, even though the devs at Toshiba couldn't lol!

no sleep bug here.
works fine. and very fast

i love sound & srs
kjy2010
18th July 2011, 11:36 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-deejay

no sleep bug here.
works fine. and very fast

i love sound & srs

lol You might want to give Toshiba a call, and give them some help then!
kjy2010
18th July 2011, 11:38 PM |#9  

More
d/l now. I'll let you know how it compares to the actual ROM the thrive came with in a bit
18th July 2011, 11:51 PM |#10  
Flag Prescott AZ
Thanks Meter: 53

More
im a little confused though- aside from an equalizer, what does this have to offer? And what are the possibilities of a super rom? As in all of the best features of all of your Roms in one?
kjy2010
19th July 2011, 12:48 AM |#11  

More
1st little bug, stock file explorer doesn't see the external sd card. Notification in the lower right tray shows up as "sd card inserted", but the icons at the top of the stock file explorer do not respond to the external sd card. root explorer finds it in "storage" just fine though.

Have to format, wipe and reinstall with my "browser.apk" so I don't have to keep setting ua string.
bbl with more after re-install.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
virtuous thrive mdj

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)