Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2020, 09:16 AM |#37151  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2,816

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucfig

Yes, I'm aware that most people prefer to have a connection always on.

Tonight I tested leaving WiFi on. Everything else is the same. Still have good (low) drain, just a little higher but still under 1%. Attachment 5024413

Enviado de meu HD1903 usando o Tapatalk

Now Tasker is setting off alarms. And Location/scanning. I have not seen so many Location related alarms in all my 6 yrs on XDA.

Anyway, if you are happy with the setup (drain is only 0.6% per hr), leave it and enjoy the device.
23rd May 2020, 03:31 PM |#37152  
Flag Rio das Ostras
Thanks Meter: 221

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSMANI

Now Tasker is setting off alarms. And Location/scanning. I have not seen so many Location related alarms in all my 6 yrs on XDA.

Anyway, if you are happy with the setup (drain is only 0.6% per hr), leave it and enjoy the device.

I will stick with the profile that turned off everything, including WiFi. That one gave me 0,31 drain during the night and 1% half an hour before wake, as I run a couple of tasks.
Overall 4% drain per hour.
But how do you know tasker is asking for location? It should not as all location related profiles are off. And actually location services in Android system is set to off, the only thing on is WiFi.

Regards

23rd May 2020, 03:59 PM |#37153  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2,816

More
Quote:

I will stick with the profile that turned off everything, including WiFi. That one gave me 0,31 drain during the night and 1% half an hour before wake, as I run a couple of tasks.
Overall 4% drain per hour.
But how do you know tasker is asking for location? It should not as all location related profiles are off. And actually location services in Android system is set to off, the only thing on is WiFi.

Regards

I am not saying that Tasker is setting off Location alarms. But Location alarms are very high in the dump. If Location is off, what about Scanning in Settings>Location? There is something which triggers Location.
23rd May 2020, 08:23 PM |#37154  
Flag Rio das Ostras

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSMANI

I am not saying that Tasker is setting off Location alarms. But Location alarms are very high in the dump. If Location is off, what about Scanning in Settings>Location? There is something which triggers Location.

It is also off.
I see lots of location alarms in the format below, but they are all equal to zero:
com.google.android.gms.location.fused.SEND_LOCATIO N_IN_STATIONARY_MODE_ALARM_ALARM_XXX

All of them under Google services. I don't know if this is the normal behavior but I don't think they'll are impacting battery since the number of questions is 0.

24th May 2020, 11:27 AM |#37155  
Thanks Meter: 9,888

More
Quote:

It is also off.
I see lots of location alarms in the format below, but they are all equal to zero:
com.google.android.gms.location.fused.SEND_LOCATIO N_IN_STATIONARY_MODE_ALARM_ALARM_XXX

All of them under Google services. I don't know if this is the normal behavior but I don't think they'll are impacting battery since the number of questions is 0.

Wakelocks in the absence of subsequent (presumably undesirable) actions are not evil. Good chance Google, at the request of some other application, is asking for location but can't get it due to device config. Rinse and repeat. Maintaining network connectivity typically resolves that behavior (if you care; ask yourself why...) and probably won't increase battery consumption in any meaningful manner.
24th May 2020, 06:33 PM |#37156  
Flag Rio das Ostras

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

Wakelocks in the absence of subsequent (presumably undesirable) actions are not evil. Good chance Google, at the request of some other application, is asking for location but can't get it due to device config. Rinse and repeat. Maintaining network connectivity typically resolves that behavior (if you care; ask yourself why...) and probably won't increase battery consumption in any meaningful manner.

That makes sense. Right now I have no idea what is causing that behavior. The location settings does not show any app different than the ones I expected.
But it is not causing much overnight drain. During the day is a different story as Google play services is consuming almost as much battery as the display.

25th May 2020, 02:04 AM |#37157  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 3,035

More
Quote:

That makes sense. Right now I have no idea what is causing that behavior. The location settings does not show any app different than the ones I expected.
But it is not causing much overnight drain. During the day is a different story as Google play services is consuming almost as much battery as the display.

let me prefix the following with the caveat its all random unproven and untested thoughts, based on thinly veiled info made to look like actual knowledge. So prefix everything statement below with "possibly" or "maybe", and post fix it with "I dont know"

In regards to location, one unidentifiable source of location search/attainment not allocated to a specific app is a part of doze. In the config of doze there are two parameters that relate to location.
1. locating_to = LOCATING_TIMEOUT which is the max time it waits to get a location before allowing the phone to enter idle modes.
2. location_accuracy = LOCATION_ACCURACY which is the accuracy of the location before it is accepted as a valid location before allowing the phone to enter an idle mode.

I have edited my doze parameters such that the timeout is minimal and the location accuracy is very rough.

As for the playstore being a culprit,I have not done it myself, but I have seen code that removes googles vending from the whitelist (I am guessing for doze and/or battery optimisation).

Code:
sed -i '/<allow-in-power-save package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
sed -i '/<allow-in-data-usage-save package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
sed -i '/<allow-unthrottled-location package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
EDIT:Just read my post after posting, and I notice there is a location related item in the code above
25th May 2020, 02:19 AM |#37158  
Flag Rio das Ostras

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

let me prefix the following with the caveat its all random unproven and untested thoughts, based on thinly veiled info made to look like actual knowledge. So prefix everything statement below with "possibly" or "maybe", and post fix it with "I dont know"

In regards to location, one unidentifiable source of location search/attainment not allocated to a specific app is a part of doze. In the config of doze there are two parameters that relate to location.

1. locating_to = LOCATING_TIMEOUT which is the max time it waits to get a location before allowing the phone to enter idle modes.

2. location_accuracy = LOCATION_ACCURACY which is the accuracy of the location before it is accepted as a valid location before allowing the phone to enter an idle mode.

I have edited my doze parameters such that the timeout is minimal and the location accuracy is very rough.

As for the playstore being a culprit,I have not done it myself, but I have seen code that removes googles vending from the whitelist (I am guessing for doze and/or battery optimisation).

Code:
sed -i '/<allow-in-power-save package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml

sed -i '/<allow-in-data-usage-save package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml

sed -i '/<allow-unthrottled-location package="com.google.android.gms"/d' /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml

EDIT:Just read my post after posting, and I notice there is a location related item in the code above

Thanks, I don't think it is Doze as my settings are similar to yours, quick and rough location.
Honestly I don't mind the location alarms during the night as my battery drainage is at 0.6% per hour, which is acceptable. And BBS is a great tool for analyzing that during the night.
My issue now is the drainage during the day and screen on. Google play services shouldn't be draining as much as the display.
How do you guys analyze that? Do you recommend another app or another form of analyzing BBS?

25th May 2020, 02:40 AM |#37159  
Thanks Meter: 9,888

More
Quote:

My issue now is the drainage during the day and screen on. Google play services shouldn't be draining as much as the display.

Yeah, it could - or more. Depends on services apps are requesting. Need location? GPS handles that. Notifications? Good chance GPS is involved. Physically active device? Yep, you guessed it - GPS is aware and paying attention. And getting the blame.
25th May 2020, 03:15 AM |#37160  
Thanks Meter: 319

More
Hello Guys.

I always see 7 to 8 % overnight drain. I have got dumps and I see the phone was awake for more than 50 mins and it says no data connection for about 7 hrs (though I had data connection always on)

I see an app (my jio) has highest wakelocks.

Can anyone see what else apps/processes caused this. Thanks.
25th May 2020, 09:46 AM |#37161  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 3,035

More
Quote:

But it is from what you say. Never assume, prove it to yourself.

Quote:

How do you guys analyze that? Do you recommend another app or another form of analyzing BBS?

My suggestions are as before. see the post and the two posts it links off to: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=37141

A lot of information is stored in the battery history. The above posts also explain how to get to graphical displays and how to drill-down into the details.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alarms, android, battery drain, battery monitor, battery stats, bbs, betterbatterystats, failed, wakelock, wakeup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)