[Kernel] Hellcat's Root Kernel v1.25 // root,CWM5+4+stock,CIFS,BLN,BootLOGO and more

Search This thread

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
OMG, *another* rooting kernel :eek:

Yes :p, wanted to try to dive into this, and so here is my selfbuilt kernel.
The kernel is built from the original Samy sources, not just a modded initramfs and repacked, actually built from scratch.

img-10727_hcsu_g-r-full.gif

Features

• Root
    Kernel comes "instant rooted", after flashing this kernel your system is completely rooted (su, busybox and the Superuser app).
    Nothing more needs to be done, totally newb friendly :)
  • MULTIPLE Recoveries!
    By default this kernel will run ClockworkMod 5.0.2.3 when booting into recovery.
    You can, however, set an option to boot two other recoveries:
    Create a file "opt.recovery.cwm4" in /sdcard to get ClockWorkMod Recovery 4.0.1.4 when booting to recovery.
    Create a file "opt.recovery.stock" in /sdcard to get original stock (e3) recovery when booting to recovery.
    Content of the files doesn't matter, a 0-byte size is good enough already, it just needs to exist and have the above stated names.
  • ADB with root priv's in recovery mode
    When booted into recovery mode you have ADB available to connect to from your PC.
    ADB also runns with full root priv's in recovery mode for all your haxx'n'tinker needs (in normally booted OS mode ADB still runns "secure" with only user priv's, use su to get root there)
  • Custom boot scripts
    There is some bootscripts you can put your own commands in for being executed during boot.
    The scripts are /system/bootrc.sh and /data/bootrc.sh.
  • Additional modules natively supported and loaded on boot
    The original plan was to integrate these into the kernel, but due to hitting size limits of the zImage I decided to have them loaded from external directories.
    Currently supported modules: (these modules are compiled together with the kernel and are included in the download!)
    - slow-work.ko (not needed on Android 2.3.4 FWs, like XXKG2, e.t.c.)
    - cifs.ko
    If these modules are present in either /system/lib/modules or /data/lib/modules they will be automatically loaded at boot and are available to use (for example in case of CIFS, just get CifsManager from the marketplace and start mounting your shares)
  • Custom Bootanimation and Bootsound
    This kernel also supports using a custom bootanim (bootanimation.zip) and bootsound (PowerOn.wav).
    To install, simply create a folder "import" on in your /sdcard and drop your files into it, i.e.:
    /sdcard/import/bootanimation.zip -> for bootanimation
    /sdcard/import/PowerOn.wav -> for bootsound
    If either one of those is present upon the next boot they will automatically be installed to the correct path and be available.
  • Custom Boot-LOGO !
    This let's you change the logo shown BEFORE the bootanimation (usually the "Samsung Galaxy SII" splash screen).
    Similar to the bootanim and -sound, copy the desired logo.jpg (480x800, max. 100k) to:
    /sdcard/import/logo.jpg
    Upon the next boot the new bootlogo will be installed!
    Please read the additional note about installing a new bootlogo bellow!
  • BLN support
    This kernel has BLN (=BackLight Notification) support!
    Just install the BLN Pro App from the market (to actually use/get the notification lights you need the paid version, the free version only lets you test if BLN works propperly) and off your blinkieness goes :)
  • Touchscreen Sensitivity Fix
    vitalij's touchscreen fix to make the touch more responsive again when performing movements on the screen.
  • init.d support
    If you got a lot of shell scripts you want to have executed during boot, just drop them in
    - /system/etc/init.d
    or
    - /data/etc/init.d
    Everything put into those directories will be executed during boot
Might add more features as I go and figure out how they work ;)

Note about installing custom Boot-LOGO:
When you reboot to have the new logo installed you will at first still see the old logo.
When the system comes up it will (esp. at the first time) stay in the bootanimation for quite some time -. this is normal and to be expected!
The phone will eventually reboot again (also normal!) and you should already see your new bootlogo :)
/!\ The custom bootlogo ONLY works when the yellow triangle is NOT shown, in situations where the phone shows the yellow triangle screen, it will override the custom bootlogo.
I figured out how to apply a new bootlogo thanks to this thread and simply automated the process and made it a bit more simple to apply (IMO).

How to install

• Download a build of my kernel that matches your FW/current kernel version und unpack the downloaded archive.
    You will get a .tar file. Don't extract that, you need this .tar.
    (go to Settings -> About this phone -> look at "Kernel Version", this will tell you what kernel build you need)
  • Make sure no Kies related processes are running in the background (start Taskmanager and kill'em all)
  • Launch Odin
  • Select the .tar file extracted previously as PDA
  • Power off your phone and restart it in Download Mode (hold "Vol-Down + Home + Power" to turn it one) and press Vol-Up to confirm and actually entering Download Mode.
  • Connect your phone to the PC via USB
  • When Odin recognized the phone, hit START
  • The phone should reboot shortly after and that's it, you're all set :)

I hope you like it :)

I might build it for other firmware versions as the one I have so far as well, but might take a while as I completely (re)build the kernel for every firmware version, i.e. (re)applying all mods to the original initramfs and then do a clean build (which takes ~45 minutes on my current setup).
It might not be completely neccessary to do that, but it's the most cleanest way IMO, and I like it clean :)

Companion Tool

img-10801_1053_g-r-full.gif

A little tool to aid with some tasks after rooting, makes getting rid of the yellow triangle a bit more easy (see bellow).
This tool can also backup and restore the EFS partition for you, no need to deal with terminal commands anymore :)

Since v1.20 of kTool it also has a function to check/verify the EFS backup, if it's OK and all.

The kernel includes this tool and it will be automatically installed on your system, there is no need to download and install it seperately, I will still provide it as seperate download though for those interested in using the tool but not using the kernel.

Removing the yellow triangle /!\
Getting rid of the yellow triangle in a few simple steps:
  • Flash this (or any other) custom kernel via Odin :eek:
  • Once your system is rooted run the Companion Tool ("HC-kTool")
  • Tap "Dump current kernel"
  • Tap "Reboot to Downloadmode"
  • When back in downloadmode, start Odin, connect the phone and flash any stock Samsung kernel (this will remove the yellow triangle as the phone is now running on an official kernel again)
  • when the phone rebooted after the Odin flash start up the Companion Tool again
  • Tap "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage"
  • Tap "Reboot"
That's it.
You are now running the custom kernel (again) but without having the yellow triangle on boot - also the custom bootlogo now works again (it doesn't when the triangle is shown).
Easy? :)

Thanks and additional credits
  • Chainfire - for his CF-Root, that got my SGS2 rooted in the first place, inspired me to try on my own kernel tinkering and gave me ideas for the initial feature set
  • neldar and creams@nexus - neldar for the original BLN mod and creams for his blog posts here and here that significantly helped me to add BLN support to my kernel
  • connexion2005 - for this thread that got me onto the right track about changing the bootlogo (disclaimer: I did *not* use any of his files, everything has been made and automated from scratch, though the credits for the original method belong to this guy! ;))
  • vitalij - for the touchscreen sensitivity fix he described in this thread

Enjoy:

v1.24 XWKE7 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XWKF1 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XWKF3 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKG1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKG2 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKG3 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKG5 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKG6 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 UHKG7 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]

v1.24 ZSKG2: [ DOWNLOAD ]

Built from Sammy's i9100_update2 source:
v1.24 XXKH1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKH3 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKI3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XXKI4 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XWKI4 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.24 XWKI8 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]

v1.25 XWKI4 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XXKH1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]

Built from Sammy's i9100_update3 source:
v1.25 XWKI8 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XXKI3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XXKI4 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWKJ1 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWKJ2 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWKJ3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWKK2 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWKK5 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XXKL1 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XILA2 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
v1.25 XWLA4 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]

kTool companion tool v1.24 : [ kTool XDA thread (with market link for download) ]

The kernels are compiled pretty universal, so the KE7 one should work on most 2.3.3 based FWs and the KG2 one on most 2.3.4 ones.

Though, if there's demand/requests for a FW version specific build, I can make one :)

Last edited:

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
:)

I also finally figured out how to enable custom boot animation (du'h, Samy uses a different path than default Android for the anim.zip in their bootanimation executable....) and I found a way to replace the boot splash logo, the one before the animation :D (even though this only works when no yellow triangle is shown).

Just have to find a neat and not too messy way to implement my idea, will put both things into the next build then :)

Reactions: uppon2

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
Reactions: uppon2
Took the liberty to make a XXKG6 build - in case some one cares.... ;)

Thank you - testing on stock KG6 (rooted) : on surface appears good.

I see an error when trying to load Tegrak Overclock (Ultimate) modules ...

err1code=1
inSmod: can't insert '/data/data/com.tegrak.overclock.ultimate/files/tegrak_overclock.ko': invalid module format
err2code=255
insmod:intit_module '/data/data/com.tegrak.overclock.ultimate/files/tegrak_overclock.ko' failed (Exec format error).

Running fix_permissions now

Err - I don't want you to loose the kernel publication here : I don't see sources for your work.

Last edited:

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
Great work! Any chance of implementing the BLN kernel-support into the kernel?
https://github.com/creams/Galaxy-S2-liblights-for-BLN
Will try. Ew, looks like I gotta set up a full Android build environment for that.... well, well, we shall see :)
You got a link for me to something I can test it with, in case I actually get something compiled from that? ;)

I see an error when trying to load Tegrak Overclock (Ultimate) modules ...
Looks like the same issue as with the CIFS modules.
The CIFS modules needed to be recompiled for new(er) kernels (they didn't run on stock 2.3.4 as well).

Err - I don't want you to loose the kernel publication here : I don't see sources for your work.
You mean the kernel source code?
That's the untouched Samsung source so far, it's been posted lot's of times. :confused:
Everything has been done in the initramfs, and everyone wanting to peek at that can extract it with one of the many zImage extracters also posted around here :)

I am also close to finishing this little tool, just some polishing and hopefully ready to throw it into the wild by tomorrow:

Should also help a bit with getting rid of the yellow triangle (reflashing the custom kernel after having flashed a stock one and such things).
I'll include it into the next kernel version, until then I'll just post it as seperate .apk :)

Looks like the same issue as with the CIFS modules.
The CIFS modules needed to be recompiled for new(er) kernels (they didn't run on stock 2.3.4 as well).

You mean the kernel source code?
That's the untouched Samsung source so far, it's been posted lot's of times. :confused:
Everything has been done in the initramfs, and everyone wanting to peek at that can extract it with one of the many zImage extracters also posted around here :)

Thanks - CIFS - is that something you plan on doing?

Source - that's my confusion - didn't know - thx

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
Just posted the Companion Tool ("HC-kTool") .apk download and instructions on how to remove the yellow triangle (with help of that tool).

Thanks - CIFS - is that something you plan on doing?
The CIFS modules are already included in the downloads, just copy them to /system/lib/modules or /data/lib/modules and they are loaded on boot and are ready to be used.

S

SLaRe

If you make this Kernel overclockable up to 1600 and undervolted with SetCPU and add the BLN support, would be the icing on the cake :)

I'm currently using your KG6 kernel with Criskelo 9 rom.

Last edited:

HellcatDroid

Jul 15, 2011
Cologne Area
Good news: BLN will be in the next version! :D (I just tested it successfully with the free BLN controll app :cool: )

Just have to recompile every build, so might take a day until I have them all ready for upload (boss is expecting me to do some real work :rolleyes: ), but consider it inbound :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OMG, *another* rooting kernel :eek:

Yes :p, wanted to try to dive into this, and so here is my selfbuilt kernel.
    The kernel is built from the original Samy sources, not just a modded initramfs and repacked, actually built from scratch.

img-10727_hcsu_g-r-full.gif

Features

• Root
      Kernel comes "instant rooted", after flashing this kernel your system is completely rooted (su, busybox and the Superuser app).
      Nothing more needs to be done, totally newb friendly :)
    • MULTIPLE Recoveries!
      By default this kernel will run ClockworkMod 5.0.2.3 when booting into recovery.
      You can, however, set an option to boot two other recoveries:
      Create a file "opt.recovery.cwm4" in /sdcard to get ClockWorkMod Recovery 4.0.1.4 when booting to recovery.
      Create a file "opt.recovery.stock" in /sdcard to get original stock (e3) recovery when booting to recovery.
      Content of the files doesn't matter, a 0-byte size is good enough already, it just needs to exist and have the above stated names.
    • ADB with root priv's in recovery mode
      When booted into recovery mode you have ADB available to connect to from your PC.
      ADB also runns with full root priv's in recovery mode for all your haxx'n'tinker needs (in normally booted OS mode ADB still runns "secure" with only user priv's, use su to get root there)
    • Custom boot scripts
      There is some bootscripts you can put your own commands in for being executed during boot.
      The scripts are /system/bootrc.sh and /data/bootrc.sh.
    • Additional modules natively supported and loaded on boot
      The original plan was to integrate these into the kernel, but due to hitting size limits of the zImage I decided to have them loaded from external directories.
      Currently supported modules: (these modules are compiled together with the kernel and are included in the download!)
      - slow-work.ko (not needed on Android 2.3.4 FWs, like XXKG2, e.t.c.)
      - cifs.ko
      If these modules are present in either /system/lib/modules or /data/lib/modules they will be automatically loaded at boot and are available to use (for example in case of CIFS, just get CifsManager from the marketplace and start mounting your shares)
    • Custom Bootanimation and Bootsound
      This kernel also supports using a custom bootanim (bootanimation.zip) and bootsound (PowerOn.wav).
      To install, simply create a folder "import" on in your /sdcard and drop your files into it, i.e.:
      /sdcard/import/bootanimation.zip -> for bootanimation
      /sdcard/import/PowerOn.wav -> for bootsound
      If either one of those is present upon the next boot they will automatically be installed to the correct path and be available.
    • Custom Boot-LOGO !
      This let's you change the logo shown BEFORE the bootanimation (usually the "Samsung Galaxy SII" splash screen).
      Similar to the bootanim and -sound, copy the desired logo.jpg (480x800, max. 100k) to:
      /sdcard/import/logo.jpg
      Upon the next boot the new bootlogo will be installed!
      Please read the additional note about installing a new bootlogo bellow!
    • BLN support
      This kernel has BLN (=BackLight Notification) support!
      Just install the BLN Pro App from the market (to actually use/get the notification lights you need the paid version, the free version only lets you test if BLN works propperly) and off your blinkieness goes :)
    • Touchscreen Sensitivity Fix
      vitalij's touchscreen fix to make the touch more responsive again when performing movements on the screen.
    • init.d support
      If you got a lot of shell scripts you want to have executed during boot, just drop them in
      - /system/etc/init.d
      or
      - /data/etc/init.d
      Everything put into those directories will be executed during boot
    Might add more features as I go and figure out how they work ;)

Note about installing custom Boot-LOGO:
    When you reboot to have the new logo installed you will at first still see the old logo.
    When the system comes up it will (esp. at the first time) stay in the bootanimation for quite some time -. this is normal and to be expected!
    The phone will eventually reboot again (also normal!) and you should already see your new bootlogo :)
    /!\ The custom bootlogo ONLY works when the yellow triangle is NOT shown, in situations where the phone shows the yellow triangle screen, it will override the custom bootlogo.
    I figured out how to apply a new bootlogo thanks to this thread and simply automated the process and made it a bit more simple to apply (IMO).

How to install

• Download a build of my kernel that matches your FW/current kernel version und unpack the downloaded archive.
      You will get a .tar file. Don't extract that, you need this .tar.
      (go to Settings -> About this phone -> look at "Kernel Version", this will tell you what kernel build you need)
    • Make sure no Kies related processes are running in the background (start Taskmanager and kill'em all)
    • Launch Odin
    • Select the .tar file extracted previously as PDA
    • Power off your phone and restart it in Download Mode (hold "Vol-Down + Home + Power" to turn it one) and press Vol-Up to confirm and actually entering Download Mode.
    • Connect your phone to the PC via USB
    • When Odin recognized the phone, hit START
    • The phone should reboot shortly after and that's it, you're all set :)

I hope you like it :)

I might build it for other firmware versions as the one I have so far as well, but might take a while as I completely (re)build the kernel for every firmware version, i.e. (re)applying all mods to the original initramfs and then do a clean build (which takes ~45 minutes on my current setup).
    It might not be completely neccessary to do that, but it's the most cleanest way IMO, and I like it clean :)

Companion Tool

A little tool to aid with some tasks after rooting, makes getting rid of the yellow triangle a bit more easy (see bellow).
    This tool can also backup and restore the EFS partition for you, no need to deal with terminal commands anymore :)

Since v1.20 of kTool it also has a function to check/verify the EFS backup, if it's OK and all.

The kernel includes this tool and it will be automatically installed on your system, there is no need to download and install it seperately, I will still provide it as seperate download though for those interested in using the tool but not using the kernel.

Removing the yellow triangle /!\
    Getting rid of the yellow triangle in a few simple steps:
    • Flash this (or any other) custom kernel via Odin :eek:
    • Once your system is rooted run the Companion Tool ("HC-kTool")
    • Tap "Dump current kernel"
    • Tap "Reboot to Downloadmode"
    • When back in downloadmode, start Odin, connect the phone and flash any stock Samsung kernel (this will remove the yellow triangle as the phone is now running on an official kernel again)
    • when the phone rebooted after the Odin flash start up the Companion Tool again
    • Tap "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage"
    • Tap "Reboot"
    That's it.
    You are now running the custom kernel (again) but without having the yellow triangle on boot - also the custom bootlogo now works again (it doesn't when the triangle is shown).
    Easy? :)

Thanks and additional credits
    • Chainfire - for his CF-Root, that got my SGS2 rooted in the first place, inspired me to try on my own kernel tinkering and gave me ideas for the initial feature set
    • neldar and creams@nexus - neldar for the original BLN mod and creams for his blog posts here and here that significantly helped me to add BLN support to my kernel
    • connexion2005 - for this thread that got me onto the right track about changing the bootlogo (disclaimer: I did *not* use any of his files, everything has been made and automated from scratch, though the credits for the original method belong to this guy! ;))
    • vitalij - for the touchscreen sensitivity fix he described in this thread

Enjoy:

v1.24 XWKE7 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XWKF1 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XWKF3 (2.3.3): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKG1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKG2 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKG3 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKG5 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKG6 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 UHKG7 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]

v1.24 ZSKG2: [ DOWNLOAD ]

v1.24 XXKH1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKH3 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XXKI3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XWKI4 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.24 XWKI8 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]

v1.25 XWKI4 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XXKH1 (2.3.4): [ DOWNLOAD ]

Built from Sammy's i9100_update3 source:
    v1.25 XWKI8 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XXKI3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XXKI4 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWKJ1 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWKJ2 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWKJ3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWKK2 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWKK5 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XXKL1 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XILA2 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]
    v1.25 XWLA4 (2.3.6): [ DOWNLOAD ]

kTool companion tool v1.24 : [ kTool XDA thread (with market link for download) ]

The kernels are compiled pretty universal, so the KE7 one should work on most 2.3.3 based FWs and the KG2 one on most 2.3.4 ones.

Though, if there's demand/requests for a FW version specific build, I can make one :)
    *plop*

KI3 build has just been posted:
    v1.22 XXKI3 (2.3.5): [ DOWNLOAD ]

As I found a PM about KI4 in my inbox just when I was about to post this, I'll throw a KI4 into the compiler as well while gcc is still warm.
    Hey guys, wowowow, calm down! We're all friends here, aren't we?

If people want Benchmarks, we'll make some - but technically there's ot that much need as (as of yet) there is no performance optimisations or anything applied, so you'd likely get the very same results as with stock Sammy kernels.

Anyways, now that things are all-happy again ;) I'll surely keep trying to tweak and add features as they come up, and even might make some benchies.

Next week will be rather busy for me though (GDC-Europe and GamesCom) so I'll not have too much time to work on my Android projects, but that'll pass and we'll pick up pace again ;)

Just wanted to let you know :)
    If ROM Manager works with this, it's a coincidence - I never used ROM Manager so far.... but might look into it :)

Also:
    Kernels updated to custom version v1.22 (now include the touchscreenfix) and XWKF3 version has been added

I have to go through the remove yellow triangle procedure ooooo..
    It's easy, the Companion Tool can help you, a run-down on what and how to do is in the first post.