[Q] adb hangs during push of large files

Search This thread

Ranguvar

Jul 16, 2011
Rochester, NY
My HTC Incredible has 8GiB of internal storage. When I mount it to /emmc and try to push a large (>100MiB or so) file, the push will hang partway through -- no response, only Ctrl+C kills it. I know it has hung because I could check the status of the file via a separate 'adb shell', but the shell also starts returning nothing.

The weird thing is, if I push the large file in recovery mode, it always works completely fine.

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

K

knowledge561

Maybe adb cannot handle pushing a file that large while the phone is operating. It would be better to just copy it over while in recovery mode.

I Haz 3D!

Ranguvar

Jul 16, 2011
Rochester, NY
That doesn't make sense though -- it would still count as a major flaw, the same as if your PC downloads stopped working while you played a game.

Even so, the phone is locked during the transfer, so another reason to think it might be more than that.

K

knowledge561

Yeah, adb has its flaws. I deal with the adb killing error. I never tried pushing a file over 10mb so I would have no idea. I do know the older root method for the HTC Evo 4G included pushing around 4 80mb files or so, so maybe reinstalling adb on your pc would work wonders.

I Haz 3D!

Last edited:

Ranguvar

Jul 16, 2011
Rochester, NY
Found the solution -- I had been bitten by the kernel >2.6.35 slow SD card transfer bug. The transfer was timing out.

Using incredikernel with the fix apk, it's all golden now.

m.mishka

Feb 20, 2010
Old thread, I know, but thought I'd just post in case it helps someone. Same issue here with adb push. By pressing various random buttons, I got it to restart - it is Alt+C while in the CMD window on a PC that seems to get it going again.

Reactions: The War Profiteer

asangam

Jun 27, 2014
Bharatpur
www.asangam.blogspot.com
Not sure if i had the same issue but i guess the command i gave was wrong.

adb push DCIM /sdcard/

Basically i wanted to push the DCIM folder inside the sdcard and the above command worked for me.
Make sure the slash is there infront and back of sdcard as I am pushing into the root of SDcard. I tried it without using the slash at the end and it froze like a minute. It took me some minute to figure it out what was wrong.

Just writing this if someone in the future has the same issue.
I am transferring 33GB photos from my Mac to OnePlus 6T so i dont think there is a lag for transferring file via ADB.

jonawebb

Nov 28, 2008
This comes up when I searched for adb push hanging so maybe my solution will help others. I could not push files larger than about 30 MB to my Android device. Eventually I found that the problem was cross-talk between my USB cable and other cables (power, HDMI) connected to my device. Simply moving the USB cable so it was always a couple inches away from the others solved my problem.

This comes up when I searched for adb push hanging so maybe my solution will help others. I could not push files larger than about 30 MB to my Android device. Eventually I found that the problem was cross-talk between my USB cable and other cables (power, HDMI) connected to my device. Simply moving the USB cable so it was always a couple inches away from the others solved my problem.
Lol. thanks for the tip, it worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Old thread, I know, but thought I'd just post in case it helps someone. Same issue here with adb push. By pressing various random buttons, I got it to restart - it is Alt+C while in the CMD window on a PC that seems to get it going again.