FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Sprint service and repair policy FACTS

3,848 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,754

By Lokifish Marz, Inactive Recognized Developer on 25th July 2011, 01:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Copypasta from the Photon forum:

If juggs knows how to flash a pre-rooted on an unlocked phone he hasn't shared it and would much rather post that the workaround is bullshit. I'm not really in the mood for this crap. I put up with a lot of BS when working on HDMwIn and FullHDMI. I have deleted the guide, Evo Desktop, Sprint S&R policy threads and other contribs. Don't expect any other projects from me to be posted on xda.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lokifish Marz Ad-Free

25th July 2011, 01:26 AM |#2  
Flag Fort Lewis, WA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
7. If you bring you rooted phone in for service because you screwed up I will try to fix it but reserve the right to laugh at you, unroot your phone and flash it to the latest software and laugh at you some more.

I lol'd.
25th July 2011, 01:43 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goth_

7. If you bring you rooted phone in for service because you screwed up I will try to fix it but reserve the right to laugh at you, unroot your phone and flash it to the latest software and laugh at you some more.

I lol'd.

lmao!!! BUT JUST remember. not every tech will know everything about rooting. We try. but sometimes, we just don't have time in our lives.

but still. LOL!!!!! ON THE screwing it up part.... the customer should be billed for a trouble ticket. It isn't sprints responsibility to fix the customers mistakes.
25th July 2011, 02:15 AM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcool

not every tech will know everything about rooting. We try. but sometimes, we just don't have time in our lives.

Agreed. Considering the level of experience I have with deving and testing it's even more frustrating as an ISC tech. ISC techs are generally ignored and denied Sprint forum access simply because they don't work at a corporate location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcool

the customer should be billed for a trouble ticket. It isn't sprints responsibility to fix the customers mistakes.

I agree with this point as well however it can be very difficult and time consuming to dig through the phone to see if it's a corrupt ROM, incompatible app and so on or just user error.
25th July 2011, 02:47 AM |#5  
Flag Kansas City Mo
Thanks Meter: 263

Donate to Me
More
what about if you have a hardware problem (usb port) and you've already taken the phone apart?
25th July 2011, 03:02 AM |#6  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudejdog

what about if you have a hardware problem (usb port) and you've already taken the phone apart?

If the tamper sticker is missing that puts the burden of proof of "customer tampering" on the service department. Expect the phone to be thoroughly inspected for signs of tampering. If no evidence can be found then it's treated as any other device.

My two questions to you are: Why was the phone disassembled and are the solder points (aka pads) on the board intact? The first one is because I'm curious but the second determines if the device damage is classified as defect (pads intact) or abuse (pads missing or pulled up from the board).
25th July 2011, 03:18 AM |#7  
Flag Kansas City Mo
Thanks Meter: 263

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

If the tamper sticker is missing that puts the burden of proof of "customer tampering" on the service department. Expect the phone to be thoroughly inspected for signs of tampering. If no evidence can be found then it's treated as any other device.

My two questions to you are: Why was the phone disassembled and are the solder points (aka pads) on the board intact? The first one is because I'm curious but the second determines if the device damage is classified as defect (pads intact) or abuse (pads missing or pulled up from the board).

the phone was taken apart to sand the black paint off the rim to make the phone red. clearly tampered with

i didn't think to check the usb port while i was inside the phone but i know it's my fault. i used a cheap off-brand car charger one time and ever since then it's been loose.

my question mostly leads to, is it worth it keep my TEP for $7/month when my phone won't be able to be repaired because the tamper sticker is gone and it shows very awesome and visible signs or customer tampering.
25th July 2011, 04:06 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
once you like do something like that, WHY ON EARTH would you pay 7 bucks a month? LMAO! OMG. lol. However, YOU CAN just say you lost the phone. haha. But if it is a cool tech, maybe he'll cut you some slack if you tell him you'll pay up whatever is needed to fix the issue.
25th July 2011, 04:26 PM |#9  
Des Moines IA
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Thanks for the info guys
26th July 2011, 01:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Sooo, I have a question for you. I've been trying to deal with this for over a week now. The battery life on my Evo has been horrid as of late. I've had the phone for a little under a year now. I'm not exaclty a n00b. I know how to flash ROMs, kernels, ect. Battery life was never really a problem (not the best, but I knew what to expect). I could get around 22-26 hours with moderate use on a normal day. All of a sudden (since flashing a sense 3.0 ROM) my battery life was took a complete dump. I'm lucky to get around 6 hours of use now. The battery drains almost 15% in about 5 minutes after being unplugged from the charger and exponentially after that.

I already unrooted the phone, rooted it again, flashed a new ROM, and nothing seems to help. I took the phone to Sprint and they said the phone and battery checked out perfectly fine. Well, I'm not buying it as obviously something here is not right. If it's not the battery then it's the phone and they should be able to give me a replacement as I'm stil under the 1 year manufacturer warrenty that they do indeed cover correct?

Well, I dropped off the phone today for over 2 hours only to have it returned, not replaced, and told they "updated" it. I'm still having the same exact issue so what do I need to do/tell these people to have the phone replaced!?

Thanks!
27th July 2011, 06:48 AM |#11  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by illatwill

Sooo, I have a question for you. I've been trying to deal with this for over a week now. The battery life on my Evo has been horrid as of late. I've had the phone for a little under a year now. I'm not exaclty a n00b. I know how to flash ROMs, kernels, ect. Battery life was never really a problem (not the best, but I knew what to expect). I could get around 22-26 hours with moderate use on a normal day. All of a sudden (since flashing a sense 3.0 ROM) my battery life was took a complete dump. I'm lucky to get around 6 hours of use now. The battery drains almost 15% in about 5 minutes after being unplugged from the charger and exponentially after that.

I already unrooted the phone, rooted it again, flashed a new ROM, and nothing seems to help. I took the phone to Sprint and they said the phone and battery checked out perfectly fine. Well, I'm not buying it as obviously something here is not right. If it's not the battery then it's the phone and they should be able to give me a replacement as I'm stil under the 1 year manufacturer warrenty that they do indeed cover correct?

Well, I dropped off the phone today for over 2 hours only to have it returned, not replaced, and told they "updated" it. I'm still having the same exact issue so what do I need to do/tell these people to have the phone replaced!?

Thanks!

To clear some things up. A proper battery test takes 6-8 hours, any store tell you otherwise they're full of it. It's also generally agreed that any ROM/Kernel change needs atleast 2 days of use before you can trust battery life results. In addition, a battery calibration should be the first thing done with a ROM/Kernel change.
I personally feel that if a user flashes a custom ROM/Kernel and it has an adverse and unresolvable effect on the phone that it should not be covered however Sprint rooted phone policy says otherwise. You also have to consider that any replacement will end up being a refurb and I'm not sure how things are where you are but I wouldn't take a refub in my regoin unless I had no choice.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)