FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[How-To] Testing or Using Custom Kernels on Xperia X10 [SE 2.1 FW based ROMs]

13,194 posts
Thanks Meter: 39,785

Post Reply Email Thread
THIS IS OLD INFO

IT IS VALID IF U ARE STILL USING STOCK 2.1 SE ROM OR ROM BASED ON OLD 2.1 SE FW

most of the info in this thread was already posted 3 months back (19 April 2011) here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post13022717

BUT since most new users are not sure how to use SEARCH i have decided to make a separate thread for this...

thank you MODS for making this thread a sticky

PLEASE read the COMPLETE post before trying out anything

TAKE NOTE:
  1. YOU HAVE TO READ THE COMPLETE POST/THREAD BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS
  2. only genuine difficulties will be answered
  3. repeat questions WILL BE IGNORED
  4. DO NOT FILL UP ROM/KERNEL THREADS WITH SAME QUESTIONS
  5. ALL RELEASED CUSTOM KERNELS (boot.img & wifi module) can be found here: Custom Kernel Development thread
  6. the following should work with ALL ROMs
  7. BUT... BE WARNED: some custom roms have modifications in the chargemon (to introduce some additional features) which differ from the universal version (provided by FreeXperia recovery). So if u follow the procedure given below you might end up loosing those features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD

How-To for testing custom kernel

---[ UPDATED: June 23, 2011 17:30 GMT ]---

WARNING:
THIS INVOLVES SYSTEM MODIFICATIONS AND MAY RENDER UR CURRENT ROM UNUSABLE/BROKEN
TAKE A FULL NANDROID/RECOVERY BACKUP BEFORE TESTING
MAKE SURE U HAVE STOCK FW WITH U SO THAT CAN USE FLASHTOOL IF U ARE UNABLE TO ACCESS RECOVERY

[IMPORTANT NOTE]

• All information provided below is only supported if you use FreeXperia Recovery via Flashtool v0.2.9.1
  • PLEASE read the COMPLETE post before trying out anything
  • Also some custom roms have modifications in the chargemon (to introduce some additional features) which differ from the universal version (provided by FreeXperia recovery). So if u follow the procedure given below you might end up loosing those features.

Steps for testing:

*** Ideally I will recommend that everyone uses the latest FLASHTOOL (v0.2.9.1) to do this testing ***

[ STEP 0 ] Requirements

< for kernels requiring baseband 2.0.52 >
  • FLASHTOOL
  • Baseband 2.0.52 (you can download it from BaseBand Collection)
  • there is a newer baseband package provided in CM7 J022 please flash the baseband from that package if u want to use FreeXperiaKernel-k011 and above... also u will need to flash bootloader_bypass_files_v4.zip (links are provided in STEP 2) after u install bootkit to update the miniloader to work properly with FreeXperiaKernel-k011 and above
  • ROM compatible with baseband 2.0.52
  • if u are on a different baseband flash baseband 2.0.52 using flashtool
  • if ur current rom doesnt have baseband 2.0.52 support... before booting into OS get into recovery and flash the above mentioned Base Band Patch

< for kernels requiring baseband 2.1.xx >

[ STEP 1 ] Install FreeXperia Recovery
  • Even if u have any other recovery installed I highly recommend that u shift to FreeXperia recovery for the purpose of this testing
  • FreeXperia recovery is compatible with all ROMs (stock & custom) available for X10
  • FreeXperia recovery already has all necessary modifications in chargemon file which are required for custom kernel testing
  • to install FreeXperia recovery:
    1. connect ur X10 to PC using USB cable and start FLASHTOOL...
    2. click "Ask Root Perms" button...
    3. if any Superuser prompt appears on ur x10 screen accept it by clicking "Allow"...
    4. now in FLASHTOOL click on the "xRecovery" button...
  • this will delete/remove any existing recovery and install FreeXperia recovery

[ STEP 2 ] Install BootKit
  • this will create the /system/kernel/ folder and copy the bootkit files
    • splboot.ko
    • miniloader
    • boot.img (i think this is the first release of the custom kernel)
  • to install bootkit:
    3. if any Superuser prompt appears on ur x10 screen accept it by clicking "Allow"...
    4. now in FLASHTOOL go to menu Advanced -> Kernel -> Install bootkit

There seems to be some issues face by some users, where in using a different version of miniloader helped them sort out the issues. So I will provide all those versions.
Flashable update.zip via recovery, contains miniloader & splboot.ko:
  1. bootloader_bypass_files_v1.zip [slightly older miniloader] {came with older FreeXperiaKernels}
  2. bootloader_bypass_files_v2.zip [older miniloader] (testing only) {came with FreeKernel by zdzihu}
  3. bootloader_bypass_files_v3.zip [older miniloader] (testing only) {came with Flashtool v0.2.9.1}
  4. bootloader_bypass_files_v4.zip [newest miniloader] {comes with newer FreeXperiaKernels (from CM7 J022 K011 onwards)} (recommended)
[IMP] for v4 miniloader: u need to be on the baseband from the baseband package provided in CM7 J022 for the v4 miniloader to work properly... even if u already have baseband 2.0.52 please reflash using the baseband package provided in CM7 J022... even if u are on a different ROM u will need to use the baseband from the above package to get custom kernel to work properly

[ STEP 3 ] Install custom kernel (boot.img)
  • the custom kernel is actually in the file boot.img which needs to be place in /system/kernel/
  • mostly when a custom kernel is released an update.zip will be provided which can be used to install that custom kernel at the specified location
  • u can either reboot into recovery the normal way OR using the reboot script i had posted before (gscript) OR using FLASHTOOL (go to menu Advanced -> xRecovery -> Reboot into Recovery)
  • flash the update.zip which has the custom kernel

[ STEP 4 ] Install modified/additional modules (wifi modules/etc)
  • some modified/updated modules (e.g. wifi.ko) are provided for compatibility with the custom kernel
  • mostly when a custom kernel is released an update.zip will be provided which will have the modified/additional modules also (it might be in the same update.zip as the custom kernel or might be provided seperately)
  • u can either reboot into recovery the normal way OR using the reboot script i had posted before (gscript) OR using FLASHTOOL (go to menu Advanced -> xRecovery -> Reboot into Recovery)
  • flash the update.zip which has the modified/additional module
  • [FROYO USERS] to get wifi working properly use the [wifi_bt_fix-fxk_froyo_v01.1.zip : patch module] from here: [PATCH] Fix WiFi and BT for FreeXperia Kernel (froyo)

[ STEP 5 ] Boot using the custom kernel
  • just to make things clear... since we are in testing phase the chargemon file, installed by FLASHTOOL during FreeXperia recovery installation, will keep stock kernel booting as DEFAULT and give u the option to boot using custom kernel for next boot-up
  • to reboot using custom kernel:
    4. now in FLASHTOOL go to menu Advanced -> Kernel -> Reboot custom Kernel
  • [OPTIONAL] if u want to make CUSTOM kernel as DEFAULT booting option then flash this file: chargemon_FXRec_default_CUSTOM.zip using recovery ONLY after u have installed the BootKit [Step 2]
  • [OPTIONAL] if u want to make STOCK kernel as DEFAULT booting option then flash this file: chargemon_FXRec_default_STOCK.zip using recovery

Additional Info:
  • u do not need to go thru steps 1 & 2 again if u already have installed FreeXperia recovery
  • CM7 rom by jerpelea already comes with FreeXperia recovery... so if u are on CM7 rom u can skip step 1
  • if there are any changes i will keep updating this post
  • if there is anything that i might have missed or if i have made any error please point it out... i will happily add/correct it...

Extra:
  • MrHassell & myself have prepared an app for users to reboot into recovery/custom kernel without using flashtool everytime to do the rebooting.
    get it here: Xperia Reboot Options

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
25th July 2011, 05:18 PM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter: 3,120

Donate to Me
More
Nice one Doomlord and yes mods please sticky to save the hundreds of repeated questions.
25th July 2011, 05:21 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
great source
25th July 2011, 05:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 967

More
What the hell is this? why it is so long? I just want to make my phone super cool, I don't want to read a novel
hehe, kidding, good work as always, Hope mods make this sticky
25th July 2011, 07:44 PM |#5  
Flag Gods Own Place
Thanks Meter: 124

Donate to Me
More
VERY NICE!

This is one of THE best threads of this forum. Thanks DooM!
20th August 2011, 01:11 PM |#6  
Flag Toulouse
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Where can I find the original SE Kernel please ?

EDIT : please delete :x
24th August 2011, 02:33 PM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 206

More
So after install custom kernel, the test is..... the phone can boot up and run properly?
24th August 2011, 03:07 PM |#8  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveraero

So after install custom kernel, the test is..... the phone can boot up and run properly?

which one? the one from Flashtool?

btw this thread needs to be updated...

the current info in this thread is correct for old 2.1 SE FW based kernels.... the newer SE 2.3 FW (GB) need slight changes...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
24th August 2011, 05:35 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 206

More
Ya, I just see the difference so I must ask. lol
28th August 2011, 01:15 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD

which one? the one from Flashtool?

btw this thread needs to be updated...

the current info in this thread is correct for old 2.1 SE FW based kernels.... the newer SE 2.3 FW (GB) need slight changes...

Can we get an updated set of instructions please, thanks in advance Mr.D...

from your KERNEL thread tried flashing (v4) through xrecovery (no change) and renamed the file Update.zip and installed as update.zip and still no change in kernel for Z's CM7 ROM...

again thank you in advance and bless you...
28th August 2011, 01:20 AM |#11  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingin

Can we get an updated set of instructions please, thanks in advance Mr.D...

from your KERNEL thread tried flashing (v4) through xrecovery (no change) and renamed the file Update.zip and installed as update.zip and still no change in kernel for Z's CM7 ROM...

again thank you in advance and bless you...

yes i will update this when i get time...

if u have issues with my kernel please post them at the kernel thread...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)