FORUMS

[Q] Cant seem to factory/data reset -remove encryption

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By SnarfSnarf, Member on 27th July 2011, 03:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am a noob looking to try out the touchwiz rom,

My 10.1 is encrypted and trying to remove the encryption using the menu option in settings- factory data reset - it just reboots like nothing happened and asks for the password (I wanted to turn off/get rid of the encryption). I get a box open and android icon for a brief moment at reboot.

Using ClockworkMod Recovery v4.0.0.4 the wipe/factory reset option selected and it errors on the mounting /data. Can't mount or format /data too.

This 10.1 retail has a locked bootloader and is rooted.

Anybody? So far not bricked, ,
27th July 2011, 04:16 AM |#2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
got it
I used odin and followed instructions here- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1119492

I lost clockworkmod and it did not recognize my password on reboot, but it did let me wipe everything.
27th July 2011, 05:52 AM |#3  
Flag sydney
Thanks Meter: 3

More
You might have to wipe user data to get rid of the encryption. But you will loose all ur data
8th February 2012, 04:42 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
<bump>

I'm having the same trouble - and no amount of flashing various stock or CWM recovery gets me to a point where I can actually format / remove the encrypted partition.

The device had been rooted - and then encrypted - and it wasn't until I attempted to reboot into recovery with CWM (hoping to perform a factory reset) that I got into a boot loop.

Days, and countless flashing later - I'm no closer. The one thing I find interesting: when I flash particular (CWM) recovery / images, and reboot - I actually get the 'pre-boot authentication' page, which still accepts my encryption passphrase. It's after this point - that I'm just staring at a black screen.

Perhaps nvflash might be the right tool for the job - so off to learn about THAT. Every day, a new adventure - and another twist down the rabbit hole.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight / links / tips to share.
13th September 2012, 08:22 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
encryption owns me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoWake4Me

<bump>

I'm having the same trouble - and no amount of flashing various stock or CWM recovery gets me to a point where I can actually format / remove the encrypted partition.

The device had been rooted - and then encrypted - and it wasn't until I attempted to reboot into recovery with CWM (hoping to perform a factory reset) that I got into a boot loop.

Days, and countless flashing later - I'm no closer. The one thing I find interesting: when I flash particular (CWM) recovery / images, and reboot - I actually get the 'pre-boot authentication' page, which still accepts my encryption passphrase. It's after this point - that I'm just staring at a black screen.

Perhaps nvflash might be the right tool for the job - so off to learn about THAT. Every day, a new adventure - and another twist down the rabbit hole.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight / links / tips to share.

I'm facing what I think is a similar problem on an AT&T Galaxy s3 i747 with Paranoid Android. I had to encrypt for work email, and ever since then it regularly reboots whenever I try to do something (~25 second effort)... when I do the factory reset, or try reflashing a ROM, it seems to reboot before the action completes... Can you advise how I might solve this?

I've already tried CWM to redo everything... Factory reset does not complete as it always asks for the encryption password once started again... I just want to get back to unencrypted please. Any ideas? Maybe ODIN CWM then try a new install? formatting my SD card? Thanks in advance...
18th December 2012, 10:28 PM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi, I had the same problem as above.

I was unable to factory reset with CWM recovery as it couldn't flash the data partition or sd card and couldn't mount them.

However, using the stock recovery, the factory reset and formatting worked fine returning back to an unencrypted device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)