FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Battery life in the last few days

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By nir0th, Junior Member on 28th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone notice a change in their battery life in the past few days? My girlfriend and I both are going through our batteries in just over half a day with no use. It's like the phone isn't sleeping. Looking at battery use Display is using all of the battery. I'm running CM7.0.3 and she's on stock. Looking at mine right now the phone has been on battery for 1 hour 34 minutes, and Display is taking 57% of the battery and I'm down to 84% battery.

28th July 2011, 06:59 PM |#2  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Yes! I've had my N1 since January 2010. I stayed stock until recently when I installed CM 7.1 RC1 shortly after it was released. Battery life had always been great, both stock and under CM7, especially with SS4N1. Then, a few days ago it just fell off a cliff. I now get only about 7-8 hours, even with little to no usage. Before I'd barely lose anything if the phone wasn't being used (a percent every couple hours).

Now the Nexus One Battery Calibrator application shows a drain of ~200 mA or more constantly.

I've been tearing my hair out for the last few days, uninstalling apps right and left, trying in vain to figure out what's causing this. I even considered a full wipe and reinstall of CM 7, thinking that some system setting somewhere had gotten horked.

I've always had WiFi set to never sleep, since I'm usually either at work or home. I've also had preferred network type (*#*#4636#*#* -> Phone Info) set to "GSM auto (PRL)" for months.

I've not made any other changes I can think of that would've had such a drastic impact on power consumption. I didn't track all the app updates that happened around the time it started, so I suppose it could be one of those. But I've uninstalled just about everything and it's still happening.
29th July 2011, 06:05 PM |#3  
North of the Columbia River
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I have the same issue! Just in the past week or so. I have about 50% battery then a hour or so later it's dead! I was going to get a new battery today but maybe it's a CM7 issue. I use the nightly as soon as they hit the mirror.
29th July 2011, 06:53 PM |#4  

More
An update on this... There may be a big issue going on with T-Mobile or some recent update:

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/07/t-mob...-battery-loss/

Looks like other users on different phones have the same issue!
29th July 2011, 08:36 PM |#5  
Flag Portland, OR

More
Thanks for that article, Lost Dog. Makes me feel a bit better. At least I know I'm not just going nuts.

My phone still has increased battery drain even if I put it in airplane mode though. It helps, but it's still much faster than before. This makes me really puzzled as to what the cause could be. How could the cell network still be causing increased drain if the phone's completely disconnected from it? Some sort of configuration information it received that persists even after the cell radio is turned off? EDIT: I may be wrong on this one, see below.

Last night I tried a complete wipe (using Temasek's full format "Format-signed.zip" first), and re-installed CM7.1 RC1 completely fresh. I installed only the minimal Google applications and a couple crucial tools (my password safe app). However, I'm still getting the same quick battery drain today.

I hope we (or T-Moblie) can figure out how to fix this. It really cripples my phone as a useful tool to have such short life!

EDIT: I'm going to try a workaround I've seen mentioned in comments on the TMoNews and Phandroid articles about this: limiting the cellular connection to 2G/EDGE only. It seems to have made a significant difference so far. I may have been incorrect then about airplane mode not having an impact. I'd only been checking current drain with the N1 Battery Calibrator app, and never left it in airplane mode for long. Anyway, I'll post back later this afternoon with results.
30th July 2011, 12:08 AM |#6  
Flag Portland, OR

More
Ok, so switching to 2G-only for the cellular connection seems to have made a HUGE difference. The drain rate seems to be back at around what I'd expect. Everything else I left exactly the same (WiFi on, GPS enabled, same applications, etc.)

So, I'm starting to suspect something may be up with T-Mobile's 3G/3G+ service in some areas that's preventing phones from idling properly.

Anyone else want to give it a try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2G-only.png
Views:	225
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	670728  
30th July 2011, 01:01 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Interesting, I'll switch over to 2G only and see how that affects my phone.

I've gone as far as wiping everything and that didn't help so if it really is a t-mobile issue then that would shed some light on the situation.
30th July 2011, 03:30 AM |#8  

More
I see the same trend when switching to 2G only. Very steep power usage with 3G then a dramatic decrease in the discharge slope in 2G.

T-Mobile has an issue. The trick will be getting someone there to listen.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
30th July 2011, 06:15 PM |#9  

More
Here is my screenshot. You can clearly see when I turned on 3G. Dramatic difference. Looking on the T-Mobile forum there are many people seeing the same issue but there's mostly finger pointing and speculation as to the cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1312045201322.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	671431  
31st July 2011, 04:30 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nir0th

Anyone notice a change in their battery life in the past few days? My girlfriend and I both are going through our batteries in just over half a day with no use. It's like the phone isn't sleeping. Looking at battery use Display is using all of the battery. I'm running CM7.0.3 and she's on stock. Looking at mine right now the phone has been on battery for 1 hour 34 minutes, and Display is taking 57% of the battery and I'm down to 84% battery.

I also got the same rapid battery drain since last Wednesday. At that time, I thought there may be a hardware/battery issue for my nexus one. To test this, I switched my rom from CM7 back to GB stock. After a few updates for the GB stock and used it for a day, same battery drain happened. So, I changed to use another backup battery yesterday. It did not help also. I thought it may be a real hardware issue.

Then, I found this thread and research a bit in the web. I found out it could be either caused by tmobile or google map updates. I first uninstall google map and reinstall the new version right from the market again. I also switch off 3G as well. No rapid battery drain for the entire day. The battery runs normally. When I came back home today, I turned on 3G, let it for a couple of hours, checked a couple of emails and received a 20min phone call. Everything seems to work fine. No noticeable rapid battery drain was observed. My conclusion so far is: this is caused by google map 5.8 update.

Try to uninstall it and reinstall the google map from the market to see if it helps.

Good luck.
31st July 2011, 09:26 AM |#11  
Flag Portland, OR

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky9237

I also got the same rapid battery drain since last Wednesday. At that time, I thought there may be a hardware/battery issue for my nexus one. To test this, I switched my rom from CM7 back to GB stock. After a few updates for the GB stock and used it for a day, same battery drain happened. So, I changed to use another backup battery yesterday. It did not help also. I thought it may be a real hardware issue.

Then, I found this thread and research a bit in the web. I found out it could be either caused by tmobile or google map updates. I first uninstall google map and reinstall the new version right from the market again. I also switch off 3G as well. No rapid battery drain for the entire day. The battery runs normally. When I came back home today, I turned on 3G, let it for a couple of hours, checked a couple of emails and received a 20min phone call. Everything seems to work fine. No noticeable rapid battery drain was observed. My conclusion so far is: this is caused by google map 5.8 update.

Try to uninstall it and reinstall the google map from the market to see if it helps.

Good luck.

Well, I'm willing to give it a try, but I'm skeptical. If it were the Maps 5.8 application that was preventing the phone from idling correctly, or transmitting tons of data, wouldn't we expect it to happen regardless of whether the phone was using the 2G or 3G radio connection? Sure, there might be a slight difference in the drain rate, but we'd still expect to see it in both cases. And yet the accelerated drain is alleviated completely by using only 2G. I have the Maps 5.8 application and can fix the problem by using 2G only. That indicates to me it's not an issue with the application.

I'll try uninstalling Maps tomorrow (I'm using CyanogenMod, so it's possible to remove it completely). Then I'll put the phone back on 3G and report back on what happens.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)