Thanks to the efforts of Ketut.Kumajaya, Samsung's latest firmware release of Gingerbread 2.3.3 KPN can now enjoy A2SD, ext4 filesystem and all the benefits of CF-Root.
This guide is as newbie friendly as possible. If you want the short instruction, this is it: Flash CF-Root 3.7 b78, Have Clockworkmod recovery, Flash CF-Root 3.7 b80 (so that everything is compatible to KPN). If you want to apply apps2sd and ext4 filesystem, you can do so.
Here's the newbie friendly guide -
What's New in 2.3.3 KPN?
- Lots of bug fixes
- Smoother firmware
- Faster modem
- New option in power menu (Network Data)
What's the difference of 2.3.3 KPN to 2.3.4 KPH?
- 2.3.3 KPN is an official Samsung firmware release dated July 13, 2011 while 2.3.4 KPH is a leaked firmware dated June 2, 2011.
- 2.3.3 has lots of bug fixes including the Wifi SOD that plagues a lot of Galaxy Ace users. If you don't want your phone to turn off for no reason at all, go 2.3.3 KPN.
- 2.3.4's only advantage is the video call on Gtalk. If you don't use this feature, might as well go to 2.3.3 KPN since 2.3.4 KPH doesn't have the bug fixes of KPN.
Requirements before flashing CF-Root to 2.3.3 KPN
- 2.3.3 KPN firmware - http://www.multiupload.com/Y643XGWMMN (password: sampro.pl) OR http://hotfile.com/dl/124821364/f954...XXKP7.rar.html (password: samfirmware.com)
- Odin 4.38 (download from below)
- CF-Root 3.7 - b78 (you will flash this via Odin later) - http://www.multiupload.com/KZII7KZEKV
- ClockWorkMod Recovery (you can flash the CWM from CF-Root 3.7 or this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1168417 )
- CF-Root 3.7 - b80 (this will ensure that CF-Root is compatible with 2.3.3 KPN - download from below)
Optional - Both added in CF-Root 3.7 download - http://www.multiupload.com/KZII7KZEKV
- CF-Root-S5830-ext4-v1.3u-Addon (if you want an ext4 filesystem)
- CF-Root-S5830-dtapps2sd-v1.1-Addon (if you want apps2SD - you will need to format your SD card with a Fat32 for 1st partition and ext4 for 2nd partition if you want to use this.)
FLASHING 2.3.3. KPN to your Phone
- Download the firmware - http://www.multiupload.com/Y643XGWMMN (password: sampro.pl) OR http://hotfile.com/dl/124821364/f954...XXKP7.rar.html (password: samfirmware.com)
- Flash via Odin as shown here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=22
STEPS: HOW TO FLASH CF-ROOT TO 2.3.3 KPN
If you have downloaded the required files above, then move on to this. If not, download the files first.
STEP 1 : Flashing CF-Root 3.7 b78 through Odin first
- Open Odin
- Put the Cooper_v1.0.ops file in OPS and the CODE_S5830XXKPH_CL260130_REV03-CF-Root-v3.7-b78.tar.md5 at the PDA
- Put your phone to download mode (press POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + VOLUME DOWN simultaneously)
- Connect your phone to your PC (ODIN will detect your phone if it's on download mode once connected.
- Click Start on ODIN.
- Put your phone to download mode (by pressing POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + VOLUME DOWN)
STEP 2 : Have ClockWorkMod Recovery as you Recovery - follow the steps here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1168417
STEP 3 : Flash CF-Root 3.7 b80 through ClockWorkMod recovery
You need to do this to make sure CF-Root is compatible with 2.3.3 KPN because these are the files that will make sure that everything is working for 2.3.3 KPN after flashing.
- Go to recovery mode (Press POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON simultaneously)
- Choose "Install zip from SDcard"
- Choose "choose zip from SDcard"
- Choose CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b80_boot
- When done, press "Reboot".
By now, you have CF-Root for you KPN! You also know now how to flash via Odin and via ClockWorkMod recovery.
You can now install the following if you want to:
Install CF-Root-S5830-dtapps2sd-v1.1-Addon.zip via recovery mode on CWM Manager.
If you install the ext4 manager, you can convert all your phone's file system to ext4.
If you choose to install dtapps2sd, make sure that your SD card has been formatted like this (First partition FAT32, Second partition ext4 - 512mb partition size for ext4 is enough and the remaining of your sdcard is fat32 - yes, fat3t should be bigger. Your media, pictures, music, videos will be placed in the fat32 eventually)
Also, if you choose to install dtapps2sd make sure that you check "DT: Auto Start" in Tweaks manager and apply the changes.