FORUMS

[CF-Root-S5830 3.7 b80] For Samsung Official firmware 2.3.3 KPN (released July 13)

231 posts
Thanks Meter: 159

By chinoyray, Senior Member on 1st August 2011, 02:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
FIRST THINGS FIRST: WARNING - FLASHING A FIRMWARE, CUSTOM ROM, MOD TO ANY PHONE IS RISKY. WHAT YOU HAVE HERE IS THE SAME RISK AS TO EVERYWHERE ELSE. SO FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks to the efforts of Ketut.Kumajaya, Samsung's latest firmware release of Gingerbread 2.3.3 KPN can now enjoy A2SD, ext4 filesystem and all the benefits of CF-Root.

This guide is as newbie friendly as possible. If you want the short instruction, this is it: Flash CF-Root 3.7 b78, Have Clockworkmod recovery, Flash CF-Root 3.7 b80 (so that everything is compatible to KPN). If you want to apply apps2sd and ext4 filesystem, you can do so.

Here's the newbie friendly guide -

What's New in 2.3.3 KPN?
  • Lots of bug fixes
  • Smoother firmware
  • Faster modem
  • New option in power menu (Network Data)

What's the difference of 2.3.3 KPN to 2.3.4 KPH?
  • 2.3.3 KPN is an official Samsung firmware release dated July 13, 2011 while 2.3.4 KPH is a leaked firmware dated June 2, 2011.
  • 2.3.3 has lots of bug fixes including the Wifi SOD that plagues a lot of Galaxy Ace users. If you don't want your phone to turn off for no reason at all, go 2.3.3 KPN.
  • 2.3.4's only advantage is the video call on Gtalk. If you don't use this feature, might as well go to 2.3.3 KPN since 2.3.4 KPH doesn't have the bug fixes of KPN.

Requirements before flashing CF-Root to 2.3.3 KPN
  1. 2.3.3 KPN firmware - http://www.multiupload.com/Y643XGWMMN (password: sampro.pl) OR http://hotfile.com/dl/124821364/f954...XXKP7.rar.html (password: samfirmware.com)
  2. Odin 4.38 (download from below)
  3. CF-Root 3.7 - b78 (you will flash this via Odin later) - http://www.multiupload.com/KZII7KZEKV
  4. ClockWorkMod Recovery (you can flash the CWM from CF-Root 3.7 or this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1168417 )
  5. CF-Root 3.7 - b80 (this will ensure that CF-Root is compatible with 2.3.3 KPN - download from below)

Optional - Both added in CF-Root 3.7 download - http://www.multiupload.com/KZII7KZEKV
  • CF-Root-S5830-ext4-v1.3u-Addon (if you want an ext4 filesystem)
  • CF-Root-S5830-dtapps2sd-v1.1-Addon (if you want apps2SD - you will need to format your SD card with a Fat32 for 1st partition and ext4 for 2nd partition if you want to use this.)

FLASHING 2.3.3. KPN to your Phone
STEPS: HOW TO FLASH CF-ROOT TO 2.3.3 KPN
If you have downloaded the required files above, then move on to this. If not, download the files first.

STEP 1 : Flashing CF-Root 3.7 b78 through Odin first
  • Open Odin
  • Put the Cooper_v1.0.ops file in OPS and the CODE_S5830XXKPH_CL260130_REV03-CF-Root-v3.7-b78.tar.md5 at the PDA
  • Put your phone to download mode (press POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + VOLUME DOWN simultaneously)
  • Connect your phone to your PC (ODIN will detect your phone if it's on download mode once connected.
  • Click Start on ODIN.
  • Put your phone to download mode (by pressing POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + VOLUME DOWN)

STEP 2 : Have ClockWorkMod Recovery as you Recovery - follow the steps here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1168417

STEP 3 : Flash CF-Root 3.7 b80 through ClockWorkMod recovery
You need to do this to make sure CF-Root is compatible with 2.3.3 KPN because these are the files that will make sure that everything is working for 2.3.3 KPN after flashing.
  • Go to recovery mode (Press POWER BUTTON + HOME BUTTON simultaneously)
  • Choose "Install zip from SDcard"
  • Choose "choose zip from SDcard"
  • Choose CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b80_boot
  • When done, press "Reboot".

By now, you have CF-Root for you KPN! You also know now how to flash via Odin and via ClockWorkMod recovery.

You can now install the following if you want to:
Install CF-Root-S5830-ext4-v1.3u-Addon.apk
Install CF-Root-S5830-dtapps2sd-v1.1-Addon.zip via recovery mode on CWM Manager.

If you install the ext4 manager, you can convert all your phone's file system to ext4.

If you choose to install dtapps2sd, make sure that your SD card has been formatted like this (First partition FAT32, Second partition ext4 - 512mb partition size for ext4 is enough and the remaining of your sdcard is fat32 - yes, fat3t should be bigger. Your media, pictures, music, videos will be placed in the fat32 eventually)

Also, if you choose to install dtapps2sd make sure that you check "DT: Auto Start" in Tweaks manager and apply the changes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Odin Multi Downloader v4.38.zip - [Click for QR Code] (201.7 KB, 2100 views)
File Type: zip CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b80_boot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.59 MB, 13217 views)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chinoyray For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chinoyray Ad-Free
1st August 2011, 02:22 AM |#2  
Flag <b>Location:</b>
Thanks Meter: 423

More
Finally!
Hey, thanks for sharing to us. By the way, where is ketut.kumajaya (the creator) ?

One question: is that flashing b78 before b80 really necessary?
The Following User Says Thank You to fla.sh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fla.sh Ad-Free
1st August 2011, 02:43 AM |#3  
Flag Sta. Rosa, Laguna PH
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Hello kabayan. Is it okay to flash this rom from 2.3.4 kph to 2.3.3 kpn? No risk? It will not be a downgrade right??

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA Premium App
1st August 2011, 02:59 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muntinlupa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by migz012788

Hello kabayan. Is it okay to flash this rom from 2.3.4 kph to 2.3.3 kpn? No risk? It will not be a downgrade right??

Nope. Like I said above:

• 2.3.3 KPN is an official Samsung firmware release dated July 13, 2011 while 2.3.4 KPH is a leaked firmware dated June 2, 2011.
  • 2.3.3 has lots of bug fixes including the Wifi SOD that plagues a lot of Galaxy Ace users. If you don't want your phone to turn off for no reason at all, go 2.3.3 KPN.
  • 2.3.4's only advantage is the video call on Gtalk. If you don't use this feature, might as well go to 2.3.3 KPN since 2.3.4 KPH doesn't have the bug fixes of KPN.

Enjoy!
1st August 2011, 03:09 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoyray

Nope. Like I said above:

Enjoy!

Ahh so i can flash directly form 2.3.4 kph to 2.3.3 kpn?? Without any risk?? My current rom is coderomv2 kph

1st August 2011, 03:15 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muntinlupa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by migz012788

Ahh so i can flash directly form 2.3.4 kph to 2.3.3 kpn?? Without any risk?? My current rom is coderomv2 kph

Flashing is already risky. Whether you flash an official firmware, mod, custom firmware, it's already risky.

It's the same risk that you will take everywhere.

Anyway, to directly answer your question, you can flash directly from 2.3.4 kph to 2.3.3 kpn. It's like applying a lot of bug fixes to kph.
1st August 2011, 03:18 AM |#7  

More
Okay i try this one. Thanks

1st August 2011, 03:18 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:

Nope. Like I said above:

Enjoy!

Wifi SOD fixed? That's good news.. how long did u on your wifi daily since u flash to XWKPN?
1st August 2011, 03:26 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muntinlupa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzoe

Wifi SOD fixed? That's good news.. how long did u on your wifi daily since u flash to XWKPN?

Since 2 weeks ago? I've been using KPN since its release.

I made sure that I use only 2.3.3 KPN. So I flashed from Froyo KC1 to Gingerbread KPN rather than 2.3.4 kph to kpn.

I suggest you try the raw smoothness of KPN first as a stock ROM before flashing anything above it or applying a mod or this CF-Root. You'll feel the difference already.
1st August 2011, 03:29 AM |#10  

More
Do i need to deodex before i can delete the system apps that i am not using?

1st August 2011, 03:32 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:

Since 2 weeks ago? I've been using KPN since its release.

I made sure that I use only 2.3.3 KPN. So I flashed from Froyo KC1 to Gingerbread KPN rather than 2.3.4 kph to kpn.

I suggest you try the raw smoothness of KPN first as a stock ROM before flashing anything above it or applying a mod or this CF-Root. You'll feel the difference already.

You switch on your wifi constantly and no SOD.. that's pretty huge news.. Will try it and combine with cf-root..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)