FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[I9000][Heimdall][Jan.30.2012] Firmware packages for stock ROMs

1,121 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,999

Post Reply Email Thread
Heimdall firmware packages for stock GT-I9000 firmwares

Heimdall 1.3 included support for "Heimdall Firmware Packages," an XML-driven way to define, create, and distribute firmwares. This is a powerful tool for ROM developers, but I haven't seen it being used yet. In order to encourage and support the use of these new firmware packages, I've packaged up a few stock Samsung firmwares for use with Heimdall.

For those that don't know, Heimdall is an open-source, cross-platform tool written by Benjamin Dobell which can flash complete ROMs, kernels, modems, etc to Samsung Galaxy S devices. It's preferable over Odin as its source code is open and it is therefore undergoing public development, and we can review the code. In comparison, Odin is a closed-source, Windows-only internal Samsung utility, and what we know very little about it.

Downloads

These are stock ROMs, just as you'd find on Samfirmware or wherever else. I have not modified them other than unpacking and repacking for flashing with Heimdall (meaning they are odexed). If the upstream firmware includes bootloaders, I've included them*. I'll do my best to indicate additional information next to each ROM.

Gingerbread:*Note: Even though I've included bootloaders you'll be able to remove them in Heimdall's GUI right before flashing if you so please.

Froyo:
Credits...

Thanks to Benjamin Dobell for writing Heimdall. Thanks to [Ramad] for the idea of listing unadulterated stock ROMs. Thanks to Supercurio for being a role model of openness and transparency. We need more pro-community devs.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free

1st August 2011, 07:52 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Flashing instructions
Flashing instructions

Make sure you've installed Heimdall version 1.3 or higher. Do not unzip the firmware package, we open it up directly in the heimdall frontend graphical user interface! This procedure will wipe your device and you will lose all your installed applications.

Step 1: Open Heimdall's frontend (heimdall-frontend on Linux)

Step 2: Load the downloaded tar.gz into Heimdall

Step 3: Press "Load / Customize"

Step 4: Reboot your phone in Download mode and connect it to your computer

Step 5 (optional): Customize the installation before flashing by removing or adding different files (such as pre-rooted kernels or different modems)

Step 6: Press "Start"

Your phone will begin to flash and then reboot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heimdall_flash1.jpg
Views:	3233
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	673597   Click image for larger version

Name:	heimdall_flash2.jpg
Views:	2921
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	673598  
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free
1st August 2011, 07:53 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Reserved...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aorth Ad-Free
1st August 2011, 10:30 AM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 592

Donate to Me
More
It's great to see some Heimdall Firmware Packages for the GT-I9000. The instructions and screenshots you've included should make it super easy for beginners to get going. Keep up the good work!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benjamin Dobell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st August 2011, 10:32 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I put together an XWJSD package (latest 2.2.1 firmware) which you're welcome to add to the collection. http://mir.cr/0XZMZGFA
1st August 2011, 04:30 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothatt

I put together an XWJSD package (latest 2.2.1 firmware) which you're welcome to add to the collection. http://mir.cr/0XZMZGFA

Ok, cool. I thought it might be useful to have some Froyo packages around. I've added it, thanks!
1st August 2011, 10:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You are both legendy legends from the land of the legendary legend people! I was beginning to get beside myself with frustration - no matter how hard I tried I simply couldn't get kies/samsung drivers installed ON ANYTHING - I tried about 4 different Win7 x64 machines, a 2008R2 and even a Vista x86 and NONE of them would get me a working install. I inherently mistrust odin and when I saw heimdall (so I could run it on Linux) I was just over the moon. Not having any heimdall-native packages though, I got pretty frustrated and ended up soft-bricking my phone at about 2am this morning :). So after arriving after a long day at work I was very happy to see some packages finally get released and what's more - my phone was back up and running from the death-screen in under 10 minutes!
So now I can experiment with lots of funky ROMs and I know I'll always be able to get my I9000 back again!
You both rock.
A
4th August 2011, 08:25 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nairobi, Kenya

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonDreams

You are both legendy legends from the land of the legendary legend people! I was beginning to get beside myself with frustration - no matter how hard I tried I simply couldn't get kies/samsung drivers installed ON ANYTHING - I tried about 4 different Win7 x64 machines, a 2008R2 and even a Vista x86 and NONE of them would get me a working install. I inherently mistrust odin and when I saw heimdall (so I could run it on Linux) I was just over the moon. Not having any heimdall-native packages though, I got pretty frustrated and ended up soft-bricking my phone at about 2am this morning :). So after arriving after a long day at work I was very happy to see some packages finally get released and what's more - my phone was back up and running from the death-screen in under 10 minutes!
So now I can experiment with lots of funky ROMs and I know I'll always be able to get my I9000 back again!
You both rock.
A

Yes, we're really lucky that this phone is so robust and the bootloaders are open. As long as download mode is working you can resurrect your phone (and even sometimes when download mode isn't working)!
6th August 2011, 10:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Thanks for these man, it really is the best way to flash everything, pity it isn't as widely used as it should be! Keep it up
7th August 2011, 01:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
First of all thank you!
Kies for Mac was really harassing me for such a long time nor I could using Odin on Parallels.
After playing with some roms and messing up my device (Samsung Galaxy S)I was happy to come back to an official release.

Your guide to Heimdall was simply great.
Now that I'm on Gingerbread JVR 2.3.4 I wanted to root my phone.
Here I found CF-Root and I downaloaded the zip file for my firmware (JVR)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108
The file is zip and when you unpack you get a Zimage file.
I'm using Heimdall fronted 1.3.0 how can I flash this file in order to toot my phone ?
9th August 2011, 07:59 PM |#11  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Realy glad that you let us take one more step to the use of Heimdall.
Is this JVR rom NEE/XEE csc compatible?

Don't want to screw up to KOR again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
heimdall, stock firmware

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)