Use it for your BT or USB Keyboard.
I have a 3G Xoom with hc 3.2 modded for european running but it should work on every xoom afaik.
If you have root and you know what you do and you want a german keyboard layout for your german bluetooth or your usb keyboard you will have to take the following steps:
- download zip to your device
- move it to external sdcard (or internal in case you have the modded recovery for this)
- boot into recovery
- use "install zip from sdcard" to install
How it works:
- it replaces (/system/usr/... keychars/Generic.kcm and keylayout/Generic.kl) in your system directory to give android the right mapping for a QWERTZ Keyboard.
- if you toast your cat with this - I am not responsible for that!
- if you brick your device - look at the cat - I am not responsible for that!
For german speaking audience...
For the lookup of the keyboard scancodes use KeyTest.apk from Chris Boyle.
To edit you have to use a program that is able to handle Unix carrige returns and the file has to stay at UTF8 - I myself use PSPad for this task (there is a russian version available and its totally free!).
Your primary target is Generic.kcm (changes to Generic.kl are very difficult because you are not free to choose the keycode name - they depend on some internal android header on compile time!) - some of the mapping are obvious some other not. For russian I think you will have to put them like in a special notation like " '\u00e7' " (it just an example how to notate hex chars - my best guess is to have a look here).
Will it work with the original Motorola Xoom Keyboard?
I do not know - but if you tell me it does not I will my best to make it work. The original Xoom Keyboard has a vendor code that may or may not be known to the us version of 3.2 now - if you want me to fix it contact me please.
Will it work with my XYZ brand keyboard?
That depends. In most cases - for example you can connect that keyboard to your pc successfully - it will work. Contact me if it does not.
Is it possible to remap the windows key to home?
Yes it is. Find the 'special version' (QWERTZ_Xoom_DE_Windowskey_as_Home.zip) below.