[APP][WVGA][QVGA] Smooth YouTube Downloader V3.0 for Windows Mobile

Search This thread

zorc

Jan 4, 2010
Melbourne
Today, I present to you this application, as a thank you to this forum that has always given me too much, it's a little personal project I've been working on when I'm not doing anything else, basically it allows you to search and download videos from YouTube in different formats and qualities, including MP3.

The App was tested on Topaz (Touch Diamond 2) WVGA Windows Mobile 6.5
But it should work fine on other devices.

V3.0 is out here
  • YouTube Feeds, for example (Most Popular, Music, This Week) etc...
  • History list of search.
  • Ability to set maximum number of simultaneous downloads, and queue the rest.
  • Ability to set the Application you want to open URLs with using an easy file
  • dialog from the UI (Settings Page)
  • You can also set the "Default Format to download" from the UI (Settings Page)
  • Enhanced Performance

Requirements:
1) A working windows mobile 5, 6, 6.5
2) .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Features
  • Ability to Open an external application with a video URL as a parameter. (CorePlayer, TCPMP)
  • Ability to Shorten URLs on Copy/Open (for using with CorePlayer which doesn't support long URLs)
  • Shows thumbnails in the search results.
  • Ability to download multiple videos at the same time.
  • Ability to pause/resume downloads after you exit and run the application again.
  • Supports installing Extensions to support any other video site.
  • Supports Themes.
  • Supports Searching/Downloading from DailyMotion.com.
  • Supports Searching/Downloading from Current.com.
  • A very nice UI and cool transitions between different screens of the app.
  • Ability to expand search results.
  • Ability to choose video format/quality including mp3.
  • Improved QVGA screens support.
  • Ability to switch between full screen and normal mode.
  • Ability to copy download URL.
  • Supports keeping the device awake while downloads are running, so the WiFi connection is not lost.

Screenshots

Search.png

Feeds.png

Settings.png

Formats.png

The post is becoming too big, so I divided it into separate posts as follows:

To Download the application: Click Here

If you're a Developer and you'd like to develop and Extension to support Searching/Downloading from sites other than YouTube : Click Here

If you'd like to learn how to Create Themes: Click Here

THANKS to all of you for the great feedback :)

Attachments

• SmoothYouTubeDownloader.V3.0.cab
    354.5 KB · Views: 10,466
Last edited:

creativcoder

May 2, 2011
Kolkata
www.about.me
whoa..man.cooooool..you have helped me a lot with this app...aweeeeeeesoommmme.......
but one
thing id like to suggest .
u should upgrade this cool app and and more features such as selection of videos size (very important) becoz i also want to download 720p hd videos from you tube...and also...in the search page you can add the button of next page , previous page, and u can set the no of results per page to be 10.....
hope to seen your reply soon with the upgraded app..
once again many many thanks .....
reply...

zorc

Jan 4, 2010
Melbourne
whoa..man.cooooool..you have helped me a lot with this app...aweeeeeeesoommmme.......
but one
thing id like to suggest .
u should upgrade this cool app and and more features such as selection of videos size (very important) becoz i also want to download 720p hd videos from you tube...and also...in the search page you can add the button of next page , previous page, and u can set the no of results per page to be 10.....
hope to seen your reply soon with the upgraded app..
once again many many thanks .....
reply...

Glad you like the app, and I appreciate your suggestions, hopefully version 1.1 meets them all.

vizolover

Dec 23, 2009
Works flawllesly on Samsung i900 winmo 6.5.3, awesome app mate and finger friendly!
Maybe an option to download a video directly to mp3? I know it's not easy since it must be converted somehow, but still i think a lot of people would love this option.
Oh, and the ability to skin is always nice ;)

Last edited:

zorc

Jan 4, 2010
Melbourne
Works flawllesly on Samsung i900 winmo 6.5.3, awesome app mate and finger friendly!
Maybe an option to download a video directly to mp3? I know it's not easy since it must be converted somehow, but still i think a lot of people would love this option.
Oh, and the ability to skin is always nice ;)

Converting to mp3 has always been a feature I wanted to do, but it's not as easy as it sounds, and this is just a little project I like to spend time on when I'm not at work or working on some other projects.
I won't mind giving the source code to anyone who would like to implement it.

vizolover

Dec 23, 2009
Converting to mp3 has always been a feature I wanted to do, but it's not as easy as it sounds, and this is just a little project I like to spend time on when I'm not at work or working on some other projects.
I won't mind giving the source code to anyone who would like to implement it.

Yes i know, my best bet would be to try to use a free web service (like www.youtube-mp3.org ) and then download the converted mp3 from their servers...but that would need the site's permission i guess, and some complex coding? Anyway, keep up the good work!

Reactions: zorc

vyis

Sep 7, 2010
Thanks, the search function is great, I like the search preview. Everything working as it should on my topaz.

One suggestion, is it possible to add a available quality choices menu before commence to download? (240p,360p,480p ...)

zorc

Jan 4, 2010
Melbourne
Yes i know, my best bet would be to try to use a free web service (like www.youtube-mp3.org ) and then download the converted mp3 from their servers...but that would need the site's permission i guess, and some complex coding? Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might give it a try :)

Thanks, the search function is great, I like the search preview. Everything working as it should on my topaz.

One suggestion, is it possible to add a available quality choices menu before commence to download? (240p,360p,480p ...)

That feature is available in version 1.1, you can find it in the attachments :)
in order to turn it on, you need to go to the settings page, and set "Downloade default ..." to "NO"

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2009
Quite interesting program.

My suggestions:

(important)
It would be nice if one can get direct download link, instead of downloading file. It usable for pasting it to player (ex coreplayer).

(less important)
"Downloads" and "Settings" screens looks bad on QVGA.
Add option for non fulscreen mode.
Add option for default download format.
Make context popup menues.
Better support for 5 way navigation key.

Last edited:

zorc

Jan 4, 2010
Melbourne
Quite interesting program.
(important)
It would be nice if one can get direct download link, instead of downloading file. It usable for pasting it to player (ex coreplayer).

The aim of this app is to be a downloader not a player, since HTC Youtube Player does that for you.
I can't see a good reason to implement it.

(less important)
"Downloads" and "Settings" screens looks bad on QVGA.
Add option for non full screen mode.
Add option for default download format.
Make context popup menues.
Better support for 5 way navigation key.

The app hasn't been tweaked for QVGA, but seems like Settings page is not usable in QVGA, so I'll make sure to fix that in the next update.
Can you just give me more details on what's the problem with QVGA in Downloads screen ? (Please, try version 1.3 and tell me what you think)

A default download format is not as easy as it seems, since each video has a different set of supported formats, that's why the only default format can be "360p MP4" (which is available for all videos), other than that you can turn off default download format and choose from the list of supported formats for each video when you download it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vizolover
Aug 17, 2009
The aim of this app is to be a downloader not a player, since HTC Youtube Player does that for you.
I can't see a good reason to implement it.
All of youtube players I tried on my device lags terribly. While coreplayer plays them smooth (300% in benchmark).
RTSP youtube streams gives bad quality.

So, such option would be VERY usable to me and many others.

Can you just give me more details on what's the problem with QVGA in Downloads screen ? (Please, try version 1.3 and tell me what you think)
1.3 Looks OK on QVGA, things like "speed", "error", etc still barely visible (too small), but that isn't very important.

A default download format is not as easy as it seems, since each video has a different set of supported formats, that's why the only default format can be "360p MP4" (which is available for all videos), other than that you can turn off default download format and choose from the list of supported formats for each video when you download it.
Yep. But there is a way: if user chosen format not available, program asks which format to download.

Last edited:

vizolover

Dec 23, 2009
Well.... that was fast!
Nice work, Version 1.3 runs great on Omnia!

I also tried it on a Samsung i8000 i got a .net error while i exited the app and re-open and tried to resume a download but i guess it has something to do with the .net framework version the phone's rom had installed maybe, (winmo6.5.3 23103).
Anyway, great stuff mate! :cool:

raving_nanza

Jul 23, 2009
thanks dude,

gona test it now, if i like it ill add into next version of my rom :)

keep up the good work!

EDIT:

i like it :)

Last edited:

mihals1

Feb 3, 2008
this is exactly the type of app I've been looking for for some time now! I've been using Getytv, but since YT has changed their proxy, it stopped working and the developer is no longer working on any updates.
MANY MANY THANKS!!!
One thing I would suggest (if possible), to add a possibility to update to new version straight in the application.
And also, having the toolbar with battery status and signal strenght visible, would be useful. I spend a lot of time browsing and downloading vids, so I need to go back to homepage everytime I want to check battery.
other than that, it works smooth on my HD2, design is pretty cool and fresh!
Thanks again, keep up the great work!
BTW: in the "about" screen you have v1.2, but it's downloaded as a v1.3 ;o)

Last edited:
Reactions: zorc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today, I present to you this application, as a thank you to this forum that has always given me too much, it's a little personal project I've been working on when I'm not doing anything else, basically it allows you to search and download videos from YouTube in different formats and qualities, including MP3.

The App was tested on Topaz (Touch Diamond 2) WVGA Windows Mobile 6.5
    But it should work fine on other devices.

V3.0 is out here
    • YouTube Feeds, for example (Most Popular, Music, This Week) etc...
    • History list of search.
    • Ability to set maximum number of simultaneous downloads, and queue the rest.
    • Ability to set the Application you want to open URLs with using an easy file
    • dialog from the UI (Settings Page)
    • You can also set the "Default Format to download" from the UI (Settings Page)
    • Enhanced Performance

Requirements:
    1) A working windows mobile 5, 6, 6.5
    2) .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Features
    • Ability to Open an external application with a video URL as a parameter. (CorePlayer, TCPMP)
    • Ability to Shorten URLs on Copy/Open (for using with CorePlayer which doesn't support long URLs)
    • Shows thumbnails in the search results.
    • Ability to download multiple videos at the same time.
    • Ability to pause/resume downloads after you exit and run the application again.
    • Supports installing Extensions to support any other video site.
    • Supports Themes.
    • Supports Searching/Downloading from DailyMotion.com.
    • Supports Searching/Downloading from Current.com.
    • A very nice UI and cool transitions between different screens of the app.
    • Ability to expand search results.
    • Ability to choose video format/quality including mp3.
    • Improved QVGA screens support.
    • Ability to switch between full screen and normal mode.
    • Ability to copy download URL.
    • Supports keeping the device awake while downloads are running, so the WiFi connection is not lost.

Screenshots

Search.png

Feeds.png

Settings.png

Formats.png

The post is becoming too big, so I divided it into separate posts as follows:

To Download the application: Click Here

If you're a Developer and you'd like to develop and Extension to support Searching/Downloading from sites other than YouTube : Click Here

If you'd like to learn how to Create Themes: Click Here

THANKS to all of you for the great feedback :)
    ill give it a try

volume3022.png
    so no more ytdownloader i guess...:(

For wm fans like me ( I like my HD2 :) )...

This is service for new youtube api.
    put files from zip to SmoothYTDownloader\Extensions\
    in program settings for Current Download Service: select "YouTube 22.12.12"
    press Update
    --------------
    Special thanks to the author for a good app
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    that app makes WM to a treasure!
    Thank you :)

Hi.
    Any news about new version?
    Thanx....
    It's out, I hope you like it.
    Working great! Thanks so much for keeping our WM-Devices alife with your developement!

For opening streams directly in Core-Player or TCPMP add the TinyUrl lines in SYTDSettings.xml

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17874961&postcount=99

The last entry must be

Code:
    <ShortenServices>YouTube 22.12.12</ShortenServices>

Greetings and peaceful days to you Atmn and all...

musicus