FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB to Ethernet dongle (from DealExtreme) - WORKS!

41 posts
Thanks Meter: 57

Post Reply Email Thread
This is a DEV thread.
Unfortunately can't post in DEV forums as i never wrote in this site.

I've been working on enabling USB to Ethernet dongle on our Transformers as i didn't see any successful attempt in this area.

For my experiments I use USB to ethernet dongle from DealExtreme: (Link deleted. Can't post links. Search for "SKU 34691")
This dongle is based on ASIX AX88772B chipset.
Linux Driver was downloaded from: (Link deleted. Can't post links. Google for the driver v4.1.0)

I've compiled the driver with latest Clemsyn kernel downloaded from his git: (Link deleted. Can't post links)

The driver compiles without errors to asix.ko file (attached)

After insmoding the driver into the kernel i connected the dongle to USB port on the keyboard dock and connected RJ45 cable to it from my router. The blue led turned on and started to blink!! (Never happened before!).

Encouraged by this development i've executed the following sequence in terminal:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 10.0.1.17 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.1.255
route add default gw 10.0.1.1
The commands executed without errors and i tried to ping my router
Code:
ping 10.0.1.1
and.. it WORKED!
Started pinging computers in my local LAN - everything WORKED!
Access to router web interface via browser - WORKS!

Here the happy story ends.
I couldn't manage to ping any IP addresses outside the local network.

I think i'm very close to make this work.
Any help will be appreciated.

Edit:
FULLY WORKS!!!
Need to add DNS configuration (i set to Google DNS server):
Code:
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
And that is it!
USB to Ethernet dongle fully works on Asus Transformer

Edit 2:
Not all applications work with wired connection.
Browser and Gmail work, but Skype does not.
Need to investigate further.
Attached Files
File Type: zip asix.ko.zip - [Click for QR Code] (123.9 KB, 4951 views)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MarkLuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarkLuk Ad-Free

19th August 2011, 12:08 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,103

More
Good stuff! It would be nice to have the option to use a wired network in case you needed to! Great work!
25th August 2011, 05:43 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
dear Quiethinker~~

i have been searching for whole day and finally reach your post. good stuffs
it would be even better if you can share the procedures step by step, such as how to "insmod" ....

thank you very much~~
26th August 2011, 10:24 PM |#4  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseli

dear Quiethinker~~

i have been searching for whole day and finally reach your post. good stuffs
it would be even better if you can share the procedures step by step, such as how to "insmod" ....

thank you very much~~

I'll try to explain the procedure step by step (a bit improved sequence since my first trails):
1. Get USB to Ethernet dongle from DealExtreme (SKU 34691) - Do not attach it yet.
2. Install terminal application on the Transformer (such as "Android Terminal Emulator")
3. Turn off the WIFI.
4. Extract axis.ko.zip to some location in the Transformer (for example root of the sdcard)
5. Open terminal application and execute the following commands in the command line:
Code:
su
insmod [PATH_TO_KO]/axis.ko
6. Attach USB to Ethernet dongle to USB port on the Transformer's dock and connect RJ45 network cable. (Blue led on the dongle should start blinking)
7. Execute the following commands in the command line:
Code:
/system/bin/dhcpdc eth0
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8
8. Test that you have internet connection:
Code:
ping google.com
Currently there is lots of limitations with this solution:
- I compiled the KO module with clemsyn kernel v8b and checked only with this kernel.
- Android system doesn't recognize wired connection and therefore many apps think that there is no connection available
- When transformer going to power-down mode it disconnects the USB network. After waking up need to execute step 7 again.

I'm currently working on several directions in this area:
- Enabling support for more USB to Ethernet sticks within the kernel (custom kernel release is needed unless kernel devs will push the changes into their kernels)
- Enabling automatic configuration for wired network in android (Some scripting)

The achievement in this post is a proof of concept. I'm making a progress but very slowly due to very limited time. I hope more devs will pick this up.

Also attaching the sources for asix.ko driver so people can compile it with different available kernels
26th August 2011, 11:02 PM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 2,266

Donate to Me
More
The drivers for ASIX AX88772B chipset are already in the kernel

I have one of these usb-eth dongles too and it works without the need for any extra drivers.

I simply run dhcpcd eth0 to pickup an ip address from dhcp and then setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8 for dns.

I have an EDIMAX EU-4207

Other dongles using this chipset include the WII adapter, the Apple dongle and the linksys/cisco USB200M or USB300M
The Following User Says Thank You to Roach2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Roach2010 Ad-Free
26th August 2011, 11:30 PM |#6  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach2010

The drivers for ASIX AX88772B chipset are already in the kernel

I have one of these usb-eth dongles too and it works without the need for any extra drivers.

I simply run dhcpcd eth0 to pickup an ip address from dhcp and then setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8 for dns.

I have an EDIMAX EU-4207

Other dongles using this chipset include the WII adapter, the Apple dongle and the linksys/cisco USB200M or USB300M

Good to know that your kernel includes it!
(Checked your GITHUB, do your refer to CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X=y ?)
Till now i worked with Clemsyn-Blades kernel and this wasn't included (maybe need to switch kernels )
Now only need to find automatic way to configure eth0 on insert/wake-up and it will be usable for regular users.
26th August 2011, 11:52 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 2,266

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiethinker

Good to know that your kernel includes it!
(Checked your GITHUB, do your refer to CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X=y ?)
Till now i worked with Clemsyn-Blades kernel and this wasn't included (maybe need to switch kernels )
Now only need to find automatic way to configure eth0 on insert/wake-up and it will be usable for regular users.

Ah yes, Asus added support since 3.2. I think we can enable it via a service call in init.rc but eth0 doesn't play too well with wlan0 I've found.
29th August 2011, 01:28 AM |#8  
Flag Markham
Thanks Meter: 71

More
proby a dumb question anyways
but has to be a rooted device doesn't it? :P
30th August 2011, 10:03 PM |#9  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-devil

proby a dumb question anyways
but has to be a rooted device doesn't it? :P

Shortly - yes
31st August 2011, 02:36 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Ok, it works well with my USB Lan adapter (Browser, Market browsing, etc.), but if I want to download an app from the market it doesnt work (only over Bluetooth or Wifi).

Lines I used:

dhcpcd eth0
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

Is there a solution for the market download problem?
31st August 2011, 09:13 PM |#11  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 116

Donate to Me
More
Would one or both of these adapters be supported?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...&cs_id=1031102

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)