FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Rooting On Linux Using ADB

63 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By samandiriel, Member on 19th August 2011, 12:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wasn't able to find a tidy all in one guide for linux user rooting here on XDA, so I decided to post this one. I was using Ubuntu 10.04 on a 32 bit processor.

This guide assumes you already have ADB up and running on your box. If you can't get ADB going yourself, then this method is most likely beyond your skill level anyhow

First, on your Sidekick ensure Settings>Applications>Development->USB Debugging is checked (just a reminder, I'm so used to this being on I forgot to do it on my new Sidekick)

After you have ADB up and running, make sure that your system has USB rules (a "driver") for communicating with the Sidekick.

As root:
Create or edit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules and add this line:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8″, MODE="0666"
Then secure the file and restart udev:
Code:
# chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
# restart udev
udev start/running, process 3793
As a regular user:
Connect the Sidekick via the USB cable and check that your device appears, killing any previous instances of ADB that might already be running first:
Code:
$ adb kill-server
$ adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
$ adb devices
List of devices attached 
T8394f1f27b0	device
My device's id is T8394f1f27b0. Yours will be different.

Download and unzip the rageagainstthecage-arm5 & Superuser packages from Cyanogen wiki or use the (possibly outdated) files attached below. You'll only need rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, su and Superuser.apk.

From a terminal, run the binary to hack the system as root:
Code:
$ adb push <path>/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp 
$ adb shell 

$ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin 
$ ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C
[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={2650, 2650}[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 4150
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] [email protected] so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
Restart the ADB server, push su & the Superuser app to the system, and set up the root user & group with a blank password. You should have a root (#) prompt; if you don't, repeat the above steps to push & run the bin file.
Code:
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
# exit 
$ adb push <path>/su /system/xbin 
$ adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su 
$ adb push <path>/Superuser.apk /system/app 
$ adb shell 

# echo "root::0:0:root:/data/local:/system/bin/sh" > /etc/passwd
# echo "root::0:" > /etc/group
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system
# exit

$ adb reboot
Your phone should now reboot and be rooted. Yay!
Attached Files
File Type: zip su-2.3.6.2-efgh.zip - [Click for QR Code] (132.9 KB, 1406 views)
File Type: zip rageagainstthecage-arm5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.0 KB, 1845 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samandiriel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samandiriel Ad-Free

19th August 2011, 01:00 AM |#2  
Flag new jersey
Thanks Meter: 65

Donate to Me
More
U should make this in an excutable file so it will do everything automatic instead of imputing everythin but good work man

Sent From My Rooted Sidekick 4g XDA Premium App
19th August 2011, 01:25 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Phoenix, AZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datlilboricua

U should make this in an excutable file so it will do everything automatic instead of imputing everythin but good work man

Thanks amigo. Writing a decent fail-safe script that would execute on any user's system would be way too time consuming though!
19th August 2011, 02:34 AM |#4  
Flag new jersey
Thanks Meter: 65

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samandiriel

Thanks amigo. Writing a decent fail-safe script that would execute on any user's system would be way too time consuming though!

i knoe but it will be much easiet for others lol

19th August 2011, 02:43 AM |#5  
Retired Recognized Developer
MN
Thanks Meter: 333

Donate to Me
More
Any linux user who would be using this method would have no issues following these directions.
19th August 2011, 03:06 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Phoenix, AZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduvick

Any linux user who would be using this method would have no issues following these directions.

Thanks! Good to hear that positive feedback
The Following User Says Thank You to samandiriel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samandiriel Ad-Free
19th August 2011, 10:31 PM |#7  
Account currently disabled
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 4

More
As a linux user, these steps are helpful but as a lazy ass, it's hard to beat the one click root. There are still a few reasons why I still have a windows partition.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App
21st August 2011, 06:28 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
This is the way I rooted my phone. I also installed cwm adb as well

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App
7th February 2013, 11:36 PM |#9  
so ive always wanted a sidekick 4g, just love qwerty phones, got a chance to get a mint one for next to nothing today and of course i grabed it. so i went straight to xda and had to dig to nearly the last page for this guide! (dont trust any one click root me deals but thats besides the point) anyway thanks for this, made figuring out root simple and quick, a whole 4min maybe?
*side note, very dissapointed to see that samsung has left this community with their **** in their hands, kinda depressing and shocking no one has been able to move this phone passed froyo, i almost got this phone like 18months ago but the vision barley edged it out for me, and im glad i did, been running jelly bean on that for a while.
anyway im not a talented dev and i dont use samsung so i dont know how much help ill be here. i can port and i can somewhat build from source but mostly just mod. either way this is a backup backup phone for me so im willing to cause all sorts of harm to it trying to find some missing loopholes. chances are slim if all this other talent hasnt yet but i cant wait to play a bit!
wow... i like to remable...
8th February 2013, 04:06 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 290

Donate to Me
More
Re: [GUIDE] Rooting On Linux Using ADB
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

so ive always wanted a sidekick 4g, just love qwerty phones, got a chance to get a mint one for next to nothing today and of course i grabed it. so i went straight to xda and had to dig to nearly the last page for this guide! (dont trust any one click root me deals but thats besides the point) anyway thanks for this, made figuring out root simple and quick, a whole 4min maybe?
*side note, very dissapointed to see that samsung has left this community with their **** in their hands, kinda depressing and shocking no one has been able to move this phone passed froyo, i almost got this phone like 18months ago but the vision barley edged it out for me, and im glad i did, been running jelly bean on that for a while.
anyway im not a talented dev and i dont use samsung so i dont know how much help ill be here. i can port and i can somewhat build from source but mostly just mod. either way this is a backup backup phone for me so im willing to cause all sorts of harm to it trying to find some missing loopholes. chances are slim if all this other talent hasnt yet but i cant wait to play a bit!
wow... i like to remable...

Keep you eyes on bhundven, dude. He is on the verge of taking it to the next level!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda premium
8th February 2013, 06:03 AM |#11  
hey good to here! just the dinking around ive done on this the past few hours im so not on the verge of anything... except for another softbrick maybe :P
ive seen bhundvens name pop up here and there in threads and he dose look super promising.
and as a side note for other, the rooting method laid out in op is not just for linux, ive soft bricked my new phone like 6 times already today, each time ive had to use hiedmall to restore to stock and then reroot, the last two time i just did it the same way but with windows.... in case anyone cares that is
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, linux, rooting, sidekick

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)