FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Safely and Easily unbrick your LG Optimus V

1,650 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,661

By dingermtb, Senior Member on 20th August 2011, 03:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here's a safe and easy way to unbrick your LG Optimus V. Worked like a charm for me.

First, what happened with me was, I was using Xionia recovery and was wiping in preparation of installing another ROM. Under advance, for curiosity sake I hit "LG Style Wipe", which, from what I understand is just like hitting Factory Reset within the phone in the menu settings. My phone would boot to the screen saying "factory reset...formatting data...formatting cache...do not remove batttery...rebooting", then would sit at the pink LG logo screen. Could not boot into custom recovery at all, no matter what. Could only boot into Emergency Mode.

I wracked my brain trying to use KDZ, KP500 with LG Utility, while in Emergency Recovery to no avail. So finally, here's what I did:

What you'll need is: ROMTools, stock ROM (I made a nandroid backup before I originally rooted), a basic clockwork recovery, and ADB installed on computer.

1) place the recovery in your ADB tools folder

2) prepare a command window: on computer -> Run -> cmd, then start ADB by typing (without the quotes) "cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools" then hit enter (or where ever you installed ADB at)

3) Type (without quotes) "adb reboot bootloader", do not hit enter yet.

4) Now, here's the tricky part. Plug phone in to computer. As the phone goes through the Formatting, blah, blah, blah, go back to ADB and hit enter. This may take a few tries. It may say "device offline" or "no device detected". Just keep trying. This is actually the hardest part.

5) Once your phone reboots into bootloader (blue screen), go back to ADB and type (without quotes) "fastboot boot "recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img" (or whatever recovery you placed in your ADB tools folder in step 1)...If it fails, just try again. It took me a couple tries.

6) Your phone then should reboot into clockwork recovery. You should now be able to mount your phone as "USB mass storage device" under "mounts and storage". If computer does not connect try unplugging and plugging back into computer. If it still doesn't connect, you may need to reinstall LG drivers, which you can do using ROMTools under flash a recovery. but, ONLY install the drivers which it will do first (3 drivers). after drivers install, exit out.

7) Once you mount your phone to computer, put the stock ROM on your SD card.

8) Choose "install zip from sd card" then choose the stock ROM. Unless you have a nandroid backup of stock ROM. In that case choose "backup and restore", then choose the stock nandroid backup. Once it installs, reboot.

9) The phone will still go through the "Factory reset, formatting, blah, blah, blah" screen, but after it reboots, but it will boot into the stock ROM.

10) Now to get rid of that annoying "Factory reset" boot screen. Once your phone fully boots up, open ROMTools. Type 2 (Flash recovery to phone), then 1 (LG Optimus V), then 1 (install drivers, obtain root, flash recovery), but ONLY install drivers (3 of them) then exit out. If you did this in step 6), you shoot be able to skip this step.

11) Open ROMTools folder and click "one.exe" (SuperOneClick) Once it opens click on "UnRoot". This will unroot your phone. After it goes through everything it may say fail at the end because it can't find the busybox folder. No worries, it should be unrooted. I then downloaded Root Checker (free on the market) just to make sure it worked. Exit out when it finishes.

12) Reboot phone...It should now reboot with now problems, just like new.

13) Now you can re-root, flash your custom recovery, then install your ROM of choice.

This whole process takes only about 15-30 minutes. It took longer to re-install everything from Titanium Backup, lol. I spent 4 days trying to figure things out to unbrick my phone, when this simple and quick procedure took such a short amount of time to fix, lol. Not sure why I didn't try this from the beginning, lol.

Well, hopes this helps anybody that was in the same predicament as me
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dingermtb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dingermtb Ad-Free
20th August 2011, 08:20 PM |#2  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Thanks, I've got a stone cold brick(only makes it to LG logo). I'll have to try that. I tried every thing you have, plus a few more and nothing's worked so far. Maybe this will work
21st August 2011, 01:16 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Richeyville

More
Good luck. Like i said, hardest part is timing it to get into bootloader. But after that, it was smooth sailing. Hope it works for you as well.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using XDA Premium App
24th September 2011, 12:23 AM |#4  
Jamaica Queens
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOpie150

Thanks, I've got a stone cold brick(only makes it to LG logo). I'll have to try that. I tried every thing you have, plus a few more and nothing's worked so far. Maybe this will work

did it work????
24th September 2011, 05:18 AM |#5  
Florida
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Sorry,had to put it on hold until I can dedicate sufficient time to studying and implementing said tutorial(it usually takes me a couple of days to make sure I understand the material well enough to implement it).

Sent from my LG-VM670 using xda premium

EDIT: Can't get the computer to recognize the brick. Recognizes the good one fine.
23rd November 2011, 07:04 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
my optimus did not brick, but this info really helps
i can install temporarily, the 3rd party recovery system
24th November 2011, 04:11 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Richeyville

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1ocked

my optimus did not brick, but this info really helps
i can install temporarily, the 3rd party recovery system

Glad the info could help

Sent from my VaderEX-VM670 using xda premium
2nd December 2011, 07:38 AM |#8  
Flag Mountlake Terrace
Thanks Meter: 211

Donate to Me
More
Dude where were you a couple months ago? lol This exact thing happened to me except I did the Factory Reset from the privacy menu by mistake. Couldn't boot for nothin'. Pulled the battery a whole bunch of times and made it worse. Supposedly flashed a custom recovery with ROMtools, but nothing. I was still in the 30 day window from Best Buy so I just had them replace it with another OV, which they did without question (thank you Best Buy!!). Turns out the new phone was much better than the old one in terms of functionality so I'm happy.

Anyway all that to say thank you for posting this! I know where to go next time I brick! (Which hopefully will be never.)
The Following User Says Thank You to deaver_92 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deaver_92 Ad-Free
4th December 2011, 09:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
fyi this does not work on the new Optimus Vs from Virgin Mobile because fastboot is locked.

Also deaver_92, that situation is easy to recover from. Turn phone off, boot into recovery with home, volume up, and power, then restore your nandroid backups.
4th December 2011, 09:42 PM |#10  
Flag Northville, MI
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Umm....just bought a new OV a month and a half ago...i can still fastboot lol....just saying

sent from my vm670 running cm7.2 IHO oc 787
4th December 2011, 10:44 PM |#11  
Flag Springfield
Thanks Meter: 829

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgpk

Umm....just bought a new OV a month and a half ago...i can still fastboot lol....just saying

sent from my vm670 running cm7.2 IHO oc 787

How do you get into fastboot? Sorry if I sound like a noob, just can't figure it out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)