Yes it's true, Motorola has every OTA, every non-accepted OTA, and every non-release OTA and sbf sitting on a sever. Special Motorola employees get access to these, even on their phones through the access of the blur cloud. There are 19 servers.
Project Cheesecake was a success on finding a few dev builds for the Defy, Atrix, and Photon which lead to an unlocked bootloader on these devices. There is bound to be something on ONE of these servers, and eventually we'll strike gold and find an unlock. Just takes checking everyday.
How you can help:
Check the servers every change you get! Every phone is a little different, plus keep in mind these are ftp servers, so you might get lucky when you do your scan and you might catch something someone else didn't see before; or you might find something that was uploaded, and then later deleted. Wifi is recommended (but not required) when scanning the servers.
You need to use Root Explorer or another file manager with root permissions, because when you find an update, it's going to put it in /cache and you need to copy it from there to the sd card.
Please be on stock 2.3.5 (1.3.412) or 2.3.4 OTA. If you have deleted stuff or are running a custom rom or something, you will need to sbf for this to work.
1)You need to be on stock latest OTA!!
2) WIPE DATA AND CACHE!!!!
Now an app does it all for you. Imagine that.
1. Okay, so, download THIS APP RIGHT HERE. Edit: Updated link ~ 0vermind
2. Install the app on your phone.
3. Open the app. Click the first button.
5. Open app, click second button. Select a server. QA And Staging servers seem most common for updates, but we need to check them all. The default is in Production -> master-blur.whatever.com if you need to get back to it.
6. now click third button in app to check for update. click setup (the moto account thing is bs). Now if it gives you a wifi error, that means the server is down that you chose. If the server is up it will check for an update.
7. If that didn't work, select a new server with button 2, and then check again with button 3.
8. Any comments in this post about the ghettoness or difficulty of scrolling in my app will result in replies including but not limited to A) Slander, B) flaming, and C) death. Try to keep the thread pretty on topic to cheesecake method and other info. I know my app can be refined, jcase has been giving me some tips on streamlining my programming and su permission reduction, but it does good stuff, don't worry. It even remounts system as RO when it uses it.
Thanks for participating!