FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Accidentally bought a demo unit, any way to fix it?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By couchlife, Junior Member on 22nd August 2011, 03:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I bought the NST online from a forum and the punk sent me a demo unit. It just scrolls through the various promotional screens. I've tried doing the software update and factory reset but neither of them work. Is there any way I can "unlock" everything?

22nd August 2011, 09:04 AM |#2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchlife

I bought the NST online from a forum and the punk sent me a demo unit. It just scrolls through the various promotional screens. I've tried doing the software update and factory reset but neither of them work. Is there any way I can "unlock" everything?

Try this:

1. turn it off completely
2. press at the same time the power button (back side) and the two lower side buttons (bottom left and bottom right page)
3. it should start the recovery and restore your device to stock

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1137967

Let us know if it works.
22nd August 2011, 09:15 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
hi,
now i don't have the Nook available (i'm at office), but yesterday i was playing with ADB and having a look at nook system folders; i remember seeing a property file in which there is a property like demoMode=enable/disable or something like that (i'm not sure, but if i remember well this file should be in the same folder where also other device specific properties like serial number, mac address, etc.. are stored).
Until reading your message i didn't even know such a mode existed. But now i think that maybe it could be possible to edit that file and enable the "regular" mode on your Nook.
Of course, even if that is possible, you would need to get root and ADB access to to that, and there is the risk of bricking the unit (even though if you can create a backup image to be on the safe side).
When i'll be back home, i will try to find further info about the above mentioned file.

Regards
23rd August 2011, 08:13 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
hi,
i don't know if you already solved, in any case i had a better look at the system folders of Nook, and it seems to me that the Demo Mode is managed by a dedicated application (/system/app/DemoMode.apk). Baksmaling the source code of this app, it seems that it is activated on any Nook unit after boot, but in case the value of setting "demo_mode" is not set to "on", it just exits without doing anything; on contrary, the demo mode is activated (i.e. the continuous loop through a set of images).
So, to get rid of demo mode is activated, you could launch a script to change the relevant value of the setting "demo_mode", to set it to "off"; and then reboot the Nook:
Code:
echo *************************
echo * Setting Demo-Mode off *
echo *************************
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value='off' where name='demo_mode';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
del settings.db
Of course, to be able to launch it, you need to have your Nook already rooted, so that ADB is enabled.

The script is inspired from similar scripts present in the batch file "xe-autoroot.bat" from user xboxexpert of this forum. Therefore, in case you still don't have rooted your Nook, i suggest you to use its script to get it (link to the thread). In this case, you can easily launch the script to disable demo mode from the same folder where you have xe-autoroot.bat, since yu already have all the needed software (sqlite3).

Another possible solution could be just to remove DemoMode.apk from /system/app folder (but i'm not 100% sure this would have side effect).

In any case, not having a demo mode Nook unit, i cannot be sure these methods would work.

Hope this help
12th October 2013, 01:02 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
That doesn't work
When I have tried to root it I can't because I can not get to the menu to setup the wifi it won't let me get away from the screen saver my mom ordered one of these off ebay for like $40
12th October 2013, 07:44 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Smile Figured it out
If it is on an older version you can just drop the official firmware on your nook let it update and it worked like a charm
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Sof...uch/379003175/
28th August 2014, 09:47 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
how to disable DEMO mode on Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchlife

a lot of time passed since other guys had a problem of demo mode on nook. i got my nook (simple touch) as secondhand, unfortunately locked to demo mode.

below is step-by-step how to switch it back to 'normal' mode >>>>>>

--- turn your Nook ON
--- go to Settings - Screen - on Screen window press-and-hold top-right button AND same time keep tapping the "Screen" caption (on a top of display)
--- Demo Mode will pop up on your display
--- undo 'Toggle the demo mode'
--- now to activate "normal" mode switch off-and-on your Nook !

that's It
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerardinio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gerardinio Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)