FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[Q] How to silence Gmail Notifications?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By missworldx, Junior Member on 29th August 2011, 03:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Edit: Figured it out! go to Gmail>Settings>xxxx@gmail.com>labels to notify>inbox>ringtone (change to silent)

(Im running the latest stock gingerbread and sense on my desire Z)

29th August 2011, 03:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
try turning ur ringer off
29th August 2011, 03:30 PM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 679

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by missworldx

Things Ive Tried:
-> menu>settings>sound>notification sound, but there is no silent option.

-> personalize>notification sound> but there is also no silent option.

->gmail>settings>*click on account*>no options

(Im running the latest stock gingerbread and sense on my desire Z)

Thank you.

this is what i did, menu->more->settings->(your account name eg. 123@gmail.com)->(scroll down to notification setings) uncheck email notifications. hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to evilcuber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift evilcuber Ad-Free
30th August 2011, 06:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 219

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcuber

this is what i did, menu->more->settings->(your account name eg. 123@gmail.com)->(scroll down to notification setings) uncheck email notifications. hope this helps

since its the desire z rom, that should work but if not.. if you have the latest version of gmail, it doesnt have the option anymore.. uninstall the update, go to settings in gmail, do what you need then update again

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
31st August 2011, 02:06 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Here's how I set it to do "silent notifications" with the newest version of Gmail:

a) Open Gmail
b) Hit Menu > More > Settings
c) Select your email address under "Account Settings"
d) Scroll down to "Notification Settings", select "Labels to Notify"
e) Select "Inbox", select "Ringtone", set to "Silent". Hit "OK". Back out of all the menu stuff.

This way, the status bar will still let you know when you have mail (so you can check it at your leisure) but will also NOT ring annoyingly when you have mail

(Of note: This works at least through Gmail v2.3.5, which is the newest in the Market (and one version that is shipped in the GApps pack add-ons for CyanogenMod based ROMs). Pretty much one of the very first things I tend to do in setup )
The Following User Says Thank You to kusuriurikun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kusuriurikun Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 02:13 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles2224

since its the desire z rom, that should work but if not.. if you have the latest version of gmail, it doesnt have the option anymore.. uninstall the update, go to settings in gmail, do what you need then update again

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

That's rather odd--I'm using the latest version of Gmail available in the Market (v2.3.5) and do have that option--that said, Google seems to have made it explicitly difficult to set the thing to not ring when an email comes in (or at least non-intuitive, compared to earlier versions).

There IS a menu option to turn off notifications altogether (both ringing notifications AND in the status bar)--consists of Menu > More > Settings > Account Settings (select yer email address, if you have multiple Gmail accounts, you'll need to do this for each one), scroll down to Notification Settings, uncheck "Email Notifications".

If you merely want to turn off ringtone notifications for email (as opposed to all notifications--that is, if you don't want the thing blooping at you when you have new mail but DO want the status bar to indicate when you have mail) this gets more complex: Menu > More > Settings > Account Settings (per account) > scroll down to Notification Settings > Labels to Notify > Inbox > set Ringtone to "Silent". (There is also a checkbox for "Email notifications" in that same section that you can use to turn off the status bar notification--if for some reason you want it to bloop at you but NOT notify you in the status bar.)

(I am in the "Non Blooping For Email" camp, and with the newest version of Gmail this gave me minor fits until I played with it a bit and found out how to do it )
The Following User Says Thank You to kusuriurikun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kusuriurikun Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 04:01 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Thornhill
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for the replies everyone. It was rather unintuitive but at least its possible
31st August 2011, 04:46 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,545

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeuout

try turning ur ringer off

He just wants Gmail notifications to be silenced, not to miss notifications/ringtones for EVERYTHING.
1st September 2011, 05:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

He just wants Gmail notifications to be silenced, not to miss notifications/ringtones for EVERYTHING.

paint me purple and call me sally....thats what i get for skimming
1st September 2011, 01:55 PM |#10  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 679

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles2224

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I am running virtuous unity 2.35, which includes the latest version of gmail. There is an option to silence notifications in the latest version of gmail.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App
1st September 2011, 02:18 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,545

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeuout

paint me purple and call me sally....thats what i get for skimming

Ok, you're Sally. :P
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)