FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel][KH3][KI1/KI2]Boog Kernel[Updated 9/29/11]w/Clockwork Recovery init.d support

1,151 posts
Thanks Meter: 584

By boog, Inactive Recognized Developer on 31st August 2011, 03:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok, here it is guys! I know all you stock captivators have been anticipating this!

This is the stock KH3 and now KI1/KI2 kernel with clockwork recovery injected. Also my first go at a project like this.

The only issue I see is that /system won't unmount, so no nandroid backups (they won't restore). /system will now unmount, but restoring a nandroid backup will totally bork your phone, don't even try! (unless you are ready to odin/heimdall back!)

I have to give a huge thanks to eXistZ, he helped point me in the right direction, and generously gave me scripts he uses. And let me bug him on a regular basis. Thanks dude! And a thanks to Chainfire for pointing me in the right direction to finding why system wouldn't unmount.

Anyone is available to use the kernel any way they like. Cook it in roms released here, flash it to your personal rom, or stock KH3! Take it apart, look at the pieces, see if you can make it better! I am far from a pro at this, and it may not be perfect, use at your own risk..yada yadda.

Nandroid is still broken, still looking into it.

Update 9/11/11
I am releasing this now, because it appears that the /system not unmounting issue causes problems for full wipe roms, with big system changes. This should help. Just don't try to do a nandroid restore, it will make your phone hang at the at&t logo! You have been warned!

It is also possible to format /system from cwm if anyone feels the need (you can't boot after, so only do so if you are also planning on also installing a rom).

The links below should be fixed to point at the new versions.
KH3
Here is the odin flashable version flash it first if your on stock: Link Mirror

Here is the KH3 cwm flashable kernel5! Flash it second to get init.d support if your on stock or don't already have cwm LINK It has init.d support and the same tweaks listed for the KI1/KI2 kernel below.

Here is a heimdall package for stock kh3 with the cwm kernel3 built in. Link It will wipe your phone! Make A backup as necessary. Hopefully it can help people go from stock to a custom rom in fewer steps, or recover from a soft brick Let me know if you find an issue with it. It contains factory.rfs, dbdata.rfs, chache.rfs, param.lfs, modem.bin and the cwm_kernel zImage.

KI1 KI2
Update 9/29/11
I'm just going to do one version for KI1/KI2 now that it appears the same kernel will work on both.

Here is the original odin flashable kernel to give you cwm, flash it first to get cwm if you don't already then flash the cwm with init support. Link And my original post with the stock kernel.

Now for the good stuff!
mtcarey modded my kh3 kernel here, to add init.d support, made changes to allow ADB / DDMS to run as root, and symlinks from Busybox to "ls" and "ps" have been removed from /sbin so that DDMS will work correctly. They now fall back to Toolbox links in /system/bin. Thank him in his thread! Awesome work! I think I have all of those mods pulled to ki1/ki2, plus:
+ Juwe11's LMK settings
+ Tweaked Kernel Scheduler Settings
+ Tweaked IO Scheduler Settings
+ Tweaked Ondemand Governor/Sampling Rate
+ Tweaked Readahead to 512 on internal/external SDs (mmcblk blocks)
You can get it here: Link Mirror
If your on stock you will need to flash the odin version to get cwm then the new tweaked one for the init.d scripts, /etc/init.d/S99complete is needed! If you remove it, the phone won't boot!

For any of you losing root when you flash my kernel or for anyone on straight stock, you can get root by flashing ChainsDD root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828 or what I mention below.

If your on straight stock and don't already have cwm, flash my odin version first, then ChainsDD from the above link, or:

Grab my cwm zip that I made from ChainsDD and my latest kernels (with tweaks)

KH3 and root

KI1/KI2 and root

Hopefully those will help.
The Following 86 Users Say Thank You to boog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift boog Ad-Free

31st August 2011, 03:27 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Tuscaloosa
Thanks Meter: 4,977

Donate to Me
More
SWEET!
This Man Is A Beast, like the good one on X-men!!
Great Job.

You all reading this and wondering;
= its Stable
= its has awsome batterylife
= easy to use
= and worry free.

GO TEAM PHOENIX!!!

For those wanting the stock E3 recovery back....(for the life of me I don't know why) I will be posting it here today.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Johnsondr80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Johnsondr80 Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 03:30 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
hah, a fellow ohioan would be the one to release this. good work bud.
31st August 2011, 03:44 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
So...are you guys gonna make my cappy NOT suck anymore?

Sent from my GT-I9000
31st August 2011, 03:45 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Awesome! You rock dude, thanks!
31st August 2011, 03:48 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2,487

More
Great job ! Appreciate the hard work by all !!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4-2ndtwin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 4-2ndtwin Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 03:50 AM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Tuscaloosa
Thanks Meter: 4,977

Donate to Me
More
Dont forget to vote his thread.
a-hem' Fivestar*
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnsondr80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Johnsondr80 Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 03:58 AM |#8  
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 1,417

Donate to Me
More
Amazing!

Sent from my Stock KH3/4 2.3.4 Captivate using the XDA Premium App!
31st August 2011, 04:06 AM |#9  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Thanks a lot...
U R THE BEST!.. Good luck with your future work. Hope to see more work from u.

Thanks again for all the hard work.
The Following User Says Thank You to streetsmart999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift streetsmart999 Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 04:49 AM |#10  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Trenton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 584

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller.jeff

So...are you guys gonna make my cappy NOT suck anymore?

Sent from my GT-I9000

Send it to me, I don't think they suck!

But, yeah, custom stuff on your phone can only make it better.
The Following User Says Thank You to boog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift boog Ad-Free
31st August 2011, 05:17 AM |#11  
Awesomeness.....!!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boog kernel, kh3, ki1 ki2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)