By VerizonKoolaid, Member on 3rd September 2011, 11:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
AdFree was great.. thanks for all the fish and whatnot

however I have abandoned it in favor of the much more versatile, open source:

AdAway

Code:
http://code.google.com/p/ad-away
http://www.mediafire.com/?ntn284cyk5n52cf {1.07}
sadly the more recent builds seem to be only available in the market. find a friend willing to liberate it via dropbox or S3 [obviously not an eye patch crowd activity, GPL v3]

Added functionality of AdAway vs AdFree

+ select multiple sources of maintained HOSTS
+ white list
+ black list
+ user list
* also symlink
+ add host by scanning QR

CONS:

- downloads are concatenated and conformed in the foreground each update
- no loopback app to fix broken rendering ** although several suggestions stewing

PROS:

+ very clean UI
+ lightweight
+ only two permissions, essentials
+ ideology agnostic

both require root/SU

plays well with:

Droid X, CyanoGenmod 7, nightlies
Droid X, froyo OTA rooted
Droid X, froyo SBF rooted
Droid X, GB OTA rooted

if rooted please also consider adding to the security mix:

LBE Privacy Guard
Droid Wall
Permissions Denied

While there are builds of DroidWall in F-droid ( F-droid.org ) that repository is a little slow to update current builds from the google code project.

I would like a forensic type utility to simplify nailing down wayward ads hosts as Shark for droid is a bit cumbersome. But this is a great way to block the malware functions of TextPlus, Pinger, HeyWire et al... until there is a sensible client for alternatives to the cashcow of carrier sms (other than the awesomeness of jabber [xmpp]) ... appx $30 billion by verizon in 2007.

I only hang onto SMS for a few people. Everyone else I have 'sold' on dumping SMS (text messaging) for the huge improvement of jabber [xmpp]. For almost every phone using a jabber app is EXACTLY the same number of keystrokes (button mashes) from start to send as texting (SMS) is!! Encrypting jabber is much less arduous.

jappix.com
core.im
chatme.im
hot-chilli.net
jabber.org

excellent android jabber clients

yaxim
xabber
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to VerizonKoolaid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VerizonKoolaid Ad-Free

28th September 2011, 05:57 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Stupid question but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Is it necessary to switch the webserver on in adaway for it to block adverts, or is that extra functionality which enables me to handle the blocked requests in a bespoke way if I so choose?

Thanks,

Jim
3rd October 2011, 08:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Thanks for the review on my app

@jimwormold@gmail.com:
The webserver is only an extra, you don't have to enable it!

Some apps refuse to work when the server that serve ads are not
reachable. In this case you can enable the local webserver to answer
these requests without serving real ads.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dominiksch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dominiksch Ad-Free
24th October 2011, 12:13 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
works great thanks for your work
6th January 2012, 12:17 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
When I rooted (straight out the box ) my Acer Iconia A501 installed Harkon firmware Ad-Free refused to to install the hosts file.. so Ive found Ad-Away that has worked.. although always had thought that Ad-Free must be better...

Now I run Taboonay 2.2 with Ad-Free having stumbled upon this thread I tried too get Ad-Away to install its hosts file.. of cource I reverted to stock with Ad-Free before installing hosts with Ad-Away.

Now the problem is the other way around Ad-Away says it has installed all fine... I reboot device checked the hosts file to find it empty... Ive tried numerous times..

Now im running the hosts installed with Ad-Free...

Edit: Fixed typo
6th January 2012, 12:21 PM |#6  
Flag Bendigo
Thanks Meter: 487

More
Works much better than AdFree
6th January 2012, 01:38 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvictory

Hmm Ill try to get it running correctly... for some reason it says that the hosts file are updated but when you check with root explorer it stays unchanged..
6th January 2012, 02:55 PM |#8  

More
Angry
Ad-Away is now able to install its HOSTS file I see that its only 7XX Kb insize while Ad-Free HOSTS file is 9XX Kb so hencefor should eat more banners... hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceDie

When I rooted (straight out the box ) my Acer Iconia A501 installed Harkon firmware Ad-Free refused to to install the hosts file.. so Ive found Ad-Away that has worked.. although always had thought that Ad-Free must be better...

Now I run Taboonay 2.2 with Ad-Free having stumbled upon this thread I tried too get Ad-Away to install its hosts file.. of cource I reverted to stock with Ad-Free before installing hosts with Ad-Away.

Now the problem is the other way around Ad-Away says it has installed all fine... I reboot device checked the hosts file to find it empty... Ive tried numerous times..

Now im running the hosts installed with Ad-Free...

Edit: Fixed typo

6th January 2012, 04:22 PM |#9  

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvictory

With `root explorer` Ive opened HOSTS with a text editor and added to the list next line

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com as I know such lines could be found on some HOSTS file around the web for the PC's

So far everything is working... I guess this should help me stay incognito from Google some what
8th February 2012, 06:50 PM |#10  
Flag Brasov
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Question
The permissions say that it can hold a wakelock. This is only for the option "Check for updates automatically" right? I don't need another wakelock to ruin my battery life...

P.S. I installed AdAway and it gave me an error that it could not modify the /sistem/etc/host file and could not even create a symlink /data/data/hosts... tried AdFree and worked flawlessly ... got to give it credit for Samsung Galaxy Ace compatibility
4th March 2012, 04:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybres

P.S. I installed AdAway and it gave me an error that it could not modify the /sistem/etc/host file and could not even create a symlink /data/data/hosts... tried AdFree and worked flawlessly ... got to give it credit for Samsung Galaxy Ace compatibility

on my galaxy ace is also the problem, only works adfree :\
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adblock, adware, hosts, malware, privacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)