FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[guide] update Yuki/XBmod rom to 7720 from official cab files (safer, faster)

203 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By HD2-WP7, Senior Member on 5th September 2011, 03:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
following is a guide to install and update (to 7720) yuki and xbmod rom

not a guide, actually. its my experience. it may not be the case for u!!

this is a way to get 7720 running from the official cabs that yuki/xbmod provided with their rom. no zune needed. u will also skip downloads while updating.

benifit of the method over zune method:
if an update goes wrong, there is a chance that u have to start from the begining. when using zune to update, this means re-downloading all updates (some of them are pretty large). u can also mess up if u experience net problems. but in this method retrying updates (or for some reason if u want to re-install the whole thing again) wont require re-downloading. so its safe from net errors and saves time of downloads. one major advantage is that the procedure in this method is pretty much straight forward (u'll see what i mean).

if u feel the thread is useless, pls let me know. i'll ask a mod to remove it.

note: i am using win7 64bit.

Phase 1: preparation

1. of course, u need magldr installed

2. enable to use last 24 mb of nand from magldr menu

3. clear sdmbr from magldr menu

4. flash v2 rom from yuki/xbmod thread

note: if u have any other wp7 already installed, dont bother goin back to stock. just flash v2 over it.

5. download the "official update cab" from post 3 (bottom) of the yuki/xbmod thread and extract in a folder

note: in the procedure that i followed, i didn't need 2 of the rar files in the zip. these are: 7392-7401.rar and 7661-7720.zip.

6. download "WP7 Update Cab Sender.zip" from post from post 3 (bottom) of the yuki/xbmod thread and extract in another folder.

note: if u use xp then probably u need to download "wp7_cabsender_winxpfix.zip" and extract the contents in the extracted "WP7 Update Cab Sender"

7. download "HD2-7720fix.rar", extract in a seperate folder. install update tool form that folder (version that matches u'r os - x64/x86).

phase 2: the fun part (actual update)

note 1: the basic is that in every step that follows, u put the extracted cabs from a particular update rar file (or zip in 1 case) in the "WP7 Update Cab Sender" folder, send the cabs to the device, when done (u'll know when) delete the cabs from this folder. continue in this way untill all updates are done. u can find all update files in the "official cab updates" folder.

note 2: although u have the updates downloaded, the update procedure requires net connection just to start the procedure. actually nothing is downloaded. i guess it just routin checks if pc is connected to the internet since that's the standard procedure.

note 3: u should set date/time settings to auto.

UPDATE 1: 1 shot and 2 shot updates are available now at XBmod/Yuki thread. if i were u i'd try one of those first. when the following steps were written those files were not there. but since i haven't tried those, i'm keeping my old steps as they definitly worked for me..

UPDATE 2: Now u should use 3 step to go to 7740..

7403 14mn

7720 46mn

7740 3mn

1. extract the cab from 7004-7403.rar file into the "WP7 Update Cab Sender" folder. run the bat file (WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat) in the folder. press "s" to send it to the device. it will prepare the update, restart phone, install update, restart phone and tell u that the update has been done. if error occurs it will let u know about it after restart.

2. following step 1, install all 3 updates, one by one. but remember to clean up the folder before proceeding in each step. follow the order of updates.

note: no need to restart/reset or even disconnect the phone after an update is complete. just move on to the next update. just make sure the date in the calendar tile is displayed right. if not adjust the date.

congrats. u have 7740.. it's that simple now a days :)

6. reset from about screen

enjoy.. its a beatiful ROM

hope it helps.

** please suggest correction if u'r sure of it.
** i'm not a developer or expert. i may not be able to help in all querries. if anyone can, pls respond to qn's.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to HD2-WP7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HD2-WP7 Ad-Free

5th September 2011, 05:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you!!! Testing ATM
5th September 2011, 08:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks
Thank you i testing and perfect.
5th September 2011, 10:54 PM |#4  

More
Follow your guide and at first update (7008) receive an error message : 801812CB and the phone is frozen. what wrong did i do ?
6th September 2011, 05:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_surfer30

Follow your guide and at first update (7008) receive an error message : 801812CB and the phone is frozen. what wrong did i do ?

look for the error code in google. check this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484#801812C1

closest match i could find. seems to be a driver issue. i'd suggest get u'r pc and the preparation phase right.
6th September 2011, 08:51 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Unhappy
Tried all i can to update from 7712 to 7720, but failed. Hereby the error msg. Tried using 3 different pc, with n without sd card. plz help.

Installation des mises à jour: Completed in 6,08 seconds
Error:
Update device 80ac3e44 - 8cf1f04c - 80ebe43f - 5e1cecc8 Complete with error code
: 8007000F, error message: Une erreur inattendue s'est produite.

╚══════» Done
Appuyez sur une touche pour continuer...
6th September 2011, 10:40 AM |#7  
Flag Lyon

More
Why creating again what is already good and updated:

[Install Guide] Back to the Future [XBmod-Yuki] [7720 ready]Thread Tools

6th September 2011, 12:22 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjouby

Why creating again what is already good and updated:

[Install Guide] Back to the Future [XBmod-Yuki] [7720 ready]Thread Tools

that thread describes (nicely) how to update to 7720 online using zune.
this thread describes how to update without zune offline.

two different things
6th September 2011, 01:30 PM |#9  

More
Hey I followed this guide step by step to the point...

But I find after all this, my device is still developer locked...

I did do the DEV_UNLOCK.cab
& the ROOT.cab

those two, I ran them both...

but I still have issues, I can not sideload ANYTHING...

I can no longer use the dev unlock & root cabs as it just pops up with an error... any help?
6th September 2011, 02:19 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I used 7661-7220 cab and worked well
The Following User Says Thank You to FD10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FD10 Ad-Free
6th September 2011, 02:45 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD10

I used 7661-7220 cab and worked well

Can you please post back if you are DEV Unlocked...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)