FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[CLIENT-APP] MetroPack - Cydia for Windows Phone 7 (desktop)

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By ZeBond, Member on 8th September 2011, 10:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It is a desktop client (package management on the phone is another topic) that aggregates existing repositories (my own basic format - currently no APT or NuGet) and provides a way to distribute homebrew applications in a more convenient manner.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZeBond For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZeBond Ad-Free

9th September 2011, 12:05 AM |#2  
Flag Bayamon
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
this looks great! but wheres the download file?
it said "This project has no releases."
The Following User Says Thank You to moe dope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moe dope Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 02:01 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
As I said in the main post, the binaries are not there yet, but you can always compile the source code yourself. Binaries will be available this weekend.

Here is the latest changeset.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeBond For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ZeBond Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 05:13 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Looks really good.
Downloaded,compiled,ran,downloaded the test apps. IT WORKS!! Really nice concept. I do hope you make some documentation for it. For all I know, this could be the next big thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to amannigam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amannigam Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 06:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Thanks. Compiled it and ran it. Works.

What i'd like to see is some kind of
- rating.
- possible to not show only screenshots but maybe short videos to demonstrate app.
- possibility to upload also source code of the xaps, so developers can decide if they want to brew this app by themselves or install "unchecked" xaps

thanks so far. i think youre on a good way!

ps: i remember last year there were big discussions microsoft wanted allow homebrew and integrate this into marketplace. hello? chevron? hello? so hopefully youre work is not for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to oOp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oOp Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 06:39 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
@amannigam @oOp thanks for the feedback! It works at a very basic level - many more improvements have to be made, but that's going to happen over the weekend.

What specific documentation would you need for it?

Also, ratings sounds like a good idea. The only thing is I need to think of is a way to write those to the repository the user is exposing. Or, I could simply create a central repo/pack-ID link database on my own server that will keep a record of app ratings (can cause some problems, but I am plainly thinking of a PoC now).

I appreciate the feedback!
9th September 2011, 03:30 PM |#7  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 119

More
mwang's post about the DFT 7220 release says that the ROM includes the ability to install XAP's over the net. Homebrew like this but on phone. Just thought you'd be interested in that.
The Following User Says Thank You to thesecondsfade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thesecondsfade Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 03:39 PM |#8  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Dub V
Thanks Meter: 1,190

Donate to Me
More
Great concept! I'll have to join in on this. I'll be setting up a repository later on.
The Following User Says Thank You to snickler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2011, 08:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
What I feel that this project can go a really long way. So try making docs for everything that is being added. So people never lose track of anything. Also info of how to create a repo and adding the repo to app will help them jump to it easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to amannigam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amannigam Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 09:20 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Looks great! c# WPF, nothing beats this.

1. The new Mango hack allows downloading and installing XAPS directly from the OS (without a PC connected). Maybe we can use the infrastructure of your PC app and make another mobile app?
2. How can I contribute?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lidanh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lidanh Ad-Free
9th September 2011, 11:28 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickler

Great concept! I'll have to join in on this. I'll be setting up a repository later on.

Awesome! Let me know what the URL is when it's ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amannigam

What I feel that this project can go a really long way. So try making docs for everything that is being added. So people never lose track of anything. Also info of how to create a repo and adding the repo to app will help them jump to it easy.

Will try to do that. I will put together a tool to automatically create a repo in the next hours and will make it available by tomorrow. It will be bundled as a part of MetroPack. Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you all!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cydia, metropack, windows-phone, wp7, wpdev

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)