~~~~~OVERCLOCKING GUIDE for DROID2~~~~~
This process can possibly damage your phone and phone CPU if abused or used incorrectly, and may also cause your phone to lock up and restart and possibly bootloop itself,!!!MAKE BACKUPS!!! and if bootlooping occurs, go into the stock recovery and clear data/factory reset to restore bootup process.
I am not responsible for any damages which may occur. GOODLUCK
~Things you need~
1. To be rooted (works on Froyo 2.2 and Gingerbread 2.3, including CM7 and custom roms)
2. Access to the App Market VIA cell network or wireless internet (downloading overclocking apps)
3. Milestone Overclock and SetCPU (both available in the market to download)
~Steps for Overclocking your phone~
1. Make sure Both apps listed in the needed section have been installed
2. Open up Milestone Overclock and it will look like
3. Click on the Load module button and it will look like
What we have done thus far, is loaded into the kernel of the OS custom CPU clock settings, which we can edit at will with this application.
4. Set what you want the maximum cpu clock speed and also the vsel setting (hit the button on the bottom left of phone to access this )
The vsel is the voltage used by the cpu so be careful when changing this setting. (the stock voltage is 66 on my droid, others may be different)
5. Once that is done hit ok and then the back button on your phone.
6. Now go into your apps and open up SetCPU which should give you this
7. Click on Autodetect Speeds (Recommended) which will then give you this
8. With the slider bars, you can control the max and min speed of the cpu, so with the top bar, slide it all the way to the right to achieve the new maximum speed you want for your phone.
(its auto set to use max speed on demand and idle down to min speed when not in use)
You can change this usage by switching the scaling from ondemand to performance which will keep the cpu at max speed 24/7.
9. Now that your phone is overclocked, you need to perform a stress test on the cpu to make sure your setting are stable enough to run at the maximum speed you have chosen for any length of time, in order to do this, go into the Info tab in SetCPU and scroll to the bottom of the list in order to find the stress test utility
10. Once you have overclocked your phone, play around with certain apps and the web browser to see if you can tell a speed increase in how fast apps load and how fast content responds.
In case anyone is curious as to the settings I currently use.
Maximum CPU speed = 1.3Ghz/1300Mhz
Voltage = 66 vsel (system default)
Both are set on load at boot and so far I'm completely stable.
If this guide has been helpful in any way, feel free to add to my thanks points