Here's my ArpegGioMod ROM, for the Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M. Current (and final) version is 0.9
(ArpegGioMod has had over 1500 downloads! Thanks!)
- Deodexed apps and framework. (Optional)
- Working FM radio (remember, your headphones are the antenna!)
- No power on sound.
- Restored support for the normal Android bootanimation.zip format. Right now it's just running the "base" animation (with the green Android text). I'm open to suggestions/logos/proposals!
- CRT screen off animation re-enabled, you do need to turn back animations on in the settings to see it.
- ADW Launcher (I just used the "standalone" version and placed it in /system/app/, not the cleanest way, but it works, and leaves you the choice between that and Touchwiz Launcher)
- Removed all Bell software, as well as some Samsung apps.
New in 0.6
- Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.
- Car mode.
New in 0.7
Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone.
- Changed the default browser homepage to Google instead of Bell's.
New in 0.8
- Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone. (Turns out I mixed up some files and uploaded a version with Bell apps left in the CSC folder, along with the unmodified customer.xml. Not an issue, until someone did a factory reset.)
- Unsecure kernel. So now, adb remount and push work. adb shell is permanently root.
New in 0.9
- CWM installation instead of Odin
- Using Phiexz's customized stock ROM kernel, with support for both ext4 and RFS partitions. The kernel also includes different wifi drivers, and they work for me!
- Updated superuser apps (3.0.7) and binaries (126.96.36.199). The upgrade of su from 3.0.3 to 188.8.131.52 seems to have fixed whatever caused the crashes.
- Reodexed, this seems to provide better performance.
- Removed the annoying "Full charge" notification.
- Enabled native SIP functionality. (Untested.)
- Removed the "Android Tips" widget.
- Added the "Roboto" FlipFont apk, found on XDA.
- No-frills CPU Control 1.20
Google Application updates:
- Android Market 3.4.4
- Gmail 184.108.40.206
- Google Maps 6.3.0
- Google Search 220.127.116.11963
- Street View 18.104.22.168
- Voice Search 2.1.4
- YouTube 2.3.4
- Implement BLN by patching /system/framework/services.jar
Things I will not do. (Or at least, not without significant assistance from those requesting it.)
- Additional languages.
Files required to install 0.9:
Galaxy Gio ext4 converter
Backup RFS User Data (Optional)
Restore User Data to ext4 (Optional)
ROM Zip file: ArpegGioMod 0.9 MD5 hash: 010DA7C4542537443D2DD2E9BDBAFC43
Re-odex script (Optional)
Short Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
- If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Backup User Data Script
(You'll probably want to delete the two tar.gz files remaining on your SD card afterwards.)
- As required: format from RFS to ext4.
- If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Restore User Data Script
- Flash ROM zip
- Re-odex as required
Detailed Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
(Or, the "this is my first time trying this out and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed with information" version.)
I'm going to start this one with a brand new, freshly out of the box Gio. I will however assume that you already have a working Odin and Android SDK install. Plenty of tutorials out there for both. (See links below for the correct Odin version.)
- Copy the zip files to your MicroSD card.
- Reboot your phone in Download Mode. (Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. There will be a pink warning screen. Press Volume Up.)
- Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery with Odin.
- Reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. (adb reboot recovery, or Home + Power)
- "install zip from sdcard"
- "choose zip from sdcard"
- Install the ext4 converter zip.
- Install the ROM zip.
- Install the Re-odex script zip.
- Optional: adb shell, then dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/bml5 bs=4096 to get your unlock code as per Tweakradje's unlock tutorial.
Version 0.8 Installation instructions:
Un7zip and flash with Odin.
I strongly suggest you do a factory reflash and reset if you're flashing from something other than stock or ArpegGioMod.
Version 0.8: http://www.mediafire.com/?nxp0ce21909c676 7-Zip file MD5 hash: 6CEE73812AF9D30189A5F808CE0A7DEA
Tools and additional information:
CWM 22.214.171.124-based recovery, compiled for the 5660 by Phiexz, modified for the 5660M by Peteragent5: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1493932
"Supersafe" bml5 unlock method by Tweakradje, originally meant for the GT-I5500, should also work with little or no modifications for the 5660M: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=828534
My other thread from which all of this started: Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 and GT-S5660M Partition Mapping This thread contains links to a rooted, but otherwise completely stock ROM backup I made prior to starting my work on ArpegGioMod.
Older Clockworkmod-based recovery, meant for the Europe/Asia 5660, but working fine on the 5660M: http://particle.blurringexistence.ne...rkmod-recovery
Tutorial on flashing with Odin, with link for the appropriate version for our phone.