FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Genre?

Action

177 Vote(s)
23.73%
Comedy

146 Vote(s)
19.57%
Sci-Fi

218 Vote(s)
29.22%
Drama

34 Vote(s)
4.56%
Thriller

77 Vote(s)
10.32%
Horror

57 Vote(s)
7.64%
Other

37 Vote(s)
4.96%

Off-Topic Movie Club

12,130 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,634

By Dirk, Senior Member on 17th September 2011, 02:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th July 2019, 07:37 PM |#7751  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
"I told you to keep away from that radio. If that battery is dead, it'll have company....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6oIq0afOI

9th July 2019, 10:51 PM |#7752  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbigwave

I already read the book Flash Boys by Michael Lewis so I had some idea about High Frequency Trading and tunneling... so agree its crazy what they do.

How about another Jesse Eisenberg movie. Night Moves (2013) is really worth a watch. He and Elle Fanning play Eco-activists who are planning to destroy a Hydro-Electric Dam. A simple but engaging movie. 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean

"I told you to keep away from that radio. If that battery is dead, it'll have company....."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6oIq0afOI

And people complain about Trailers now!
10th July 2019, 02:04 PM |#7753  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk

And people complain about Trailers now!

Cagney never loses his touch.

I'm used to watching those type of movies on an old black-and-white TV set late at night when I was growing up. Now that I've got a 65 inch 4K Samsung TV, those old Cagney movies have much more impact. The quote that I was referring to was the scene where Cagney and his gang were hiding out in an obscure house out in the middle of nowhere and the only contact that they had with the outside world was what they could hear on the car radio. Needless to say, they were waiting for an opportunity to make their getaway and a dead car battery would have thwarted their plans.
10th July 2019, 05:13 PM |#7754  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Anna (2019) - 7/10

Unoriginal to a fault, but thanks to the strong lead, good supporting cast and entertaining scenes, Anna’s still a good film.

It lacks suspense and depth in both the story and action scenes, which are too few and far between, but other than that, it was quite enjoyable.
11th July 2019, 06:17 AM |#7755  
Flag Rahasia
Thanks Meter: 497

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysolive

Anna (2019) - 7/10

Unoriginal to a fault, but thanks to the strong lead, good supporting cast and entertaining scenes, Anna’s still a good film.

It lacks suspense and depth in both the story and action scenes, which are too few and far between, but other than that, it was quite enjoyable.

thanka..that was on my list to watch also..

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Stockholm - over all good movie about a robbery. True story. Ethan Hawke and Mark Strong are good. Im not a great fan of Naomi Rapace but she is ok in the film. 7.5/10

Five Feet Apart - realistic makeup.. Overall a good drama. the ending could have been better but its still a good watch
7/10

Not sure if I mentioned 'The Guilty" (foreign film.. Swedish?) but I'll mention it again.. Good tense moments. Nice plot twist ending. 7.8/10
13th July 2019, 09:47 PM |#7756  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean

Cagney never loses his touch.

I'm used to watching those type of movies on an old black-and-white TV set late at night when I was growing up.

Me too. Black & White TV playing old Black & White movies on repeat all day long on UK TV. It could be anything from those three or four decades. My favorites from the earliest era were Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and Harold Lloyd. (That clock face stunt and the Girder walk stunts transfixed me as a child.)

Then we had Laurel & Hardy on repeat, and i always enjoyed those. Then there were the run-of-the-mill fare through the fourties and fifties, with the usual melodrama and terrible score. The standouts were what are considered classics today. Citizen Cane, Gone With The Wind, 12 Angry Men etc. The ones that stick with me today from that period are the Hitchcocks. He was ahead of the game. Everybody who was anybody was in a Hitchcock movie through three decades of movie making.

Once the transistion to colour happened it was the old epics that i loved. Historical epics like Ben Hur, Spartacus and Cleopatra, and particularly anything that might involve monsters; like Jason & The Argonauts, Sinbad, Clash Of The Titans, Land Before Time etc.

We used to have a thriving movie industry here in the UK, so along with the imported US movies we had a wealth of domestic output too. A lot of the great War films were UK made. Bridge On the River Kwai, for example. Also the bawdy Comedies like the 'Carry On' series.

I blame the BBC for my movie addiction. I was indoctrinated from a young age, and i was exposed to everything! From a cinephile perspective it's the best exposure possible. This was before 'video-on-demand' and before VHS, so if i wanted to watch a movie i had three/four channels to choose from, and they were only playing the classics.

Luckily for me i had a Parent in my Mother who also loved movies, so our treat was to head to the Cinema to see any good contemporary releases. It still boggle my mind how many times i think back on a movie from my childhood, and am able to say, 'i saw that in the theatre when it was released'!

You say Cagney, and that's fair, but i add to that Anthony Quinn, Alec Guinness, James Stewart, Audie Murphy (Medal Of Honor winner WW2), Richard Burton, Kirk Douglas, Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn, Vivian Leigh, Joan Collins, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman (phwaaar..) ... too many to name...

Honestly, i feel sorry for any movie 'fan' who has only watched contemporary movies from the last two decades. Those people really have no idea. And from 1970 onwards....? Bro, we have barely scratched the surface!
15th July 2019, 05:33 AM |#7757  
Flag Rahasia

More
"Crawl (2019)"... WOW.. Sam Raimi is back!! so good to see Sam Raimi back with a good one... definitely much better than I expected.. people in the cinema screamed and shouted and laughed at times.... definitely a must watch... especially if you love the good old Sam Raimi movies....The ending isnsudden but that just makes you want the movie to be longer. (its a 'short' movie ).
So it's an 8/10 for me but because Raimi made it I give it an
8.5/10.
21st July 2019, 05:11 PM |#7758  
Flag Rahasia

More
"Child' Play (2019)“ new Chucky movie... corny but laugh out loud hilarious and many good jump scare scenes.... some tense moments.. Mark Hamill great...worth watching.
7.5/10

" The Gangster, the Cop, the Devil (2019) " Korean movie... great movie... lots tense moments... some silly over-acting scenes but the script, action and funny parts make up for it.. good plot twist ending. Dong-seok Ma (Benedict Wong lookalike) was good actor and a believable gangster in this movie.
7.8/10
Today, 12:14 AM |#7759  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am a huge movie nerd... I have AMC A List, and I definitely utilize it... Huge fan of Dolby Cinema 3D (Alita was amazing this way.) Anything in IMAX 3D I make it a point to see....

Lion King was decent. I saw it in IMAX 3D. Some good 3D parts. As far as movie goes the cartoon was better...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, rosebud is a sled!, say what again!

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)