FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Genre?

Action

177 Vote(s)
23.73%
Comedy

146 Vote(s)
19.57%
Sci-Fi

218 Vote(s)
29.22%
Drama

34 Vote(s)
4.56%
Thriller

77 Vote(s)
10.32%
Horror

57 Vote(s)
7.64%
Other

37 Vote(s)
4.96%

Off-Topic Movie Club

12,164 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,664

By Dirk, Senior Member on 17th September 2011, 02:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th July 2019, 03:17 PM |#7761  
Flag Rahasia
Thanks Meter: 497

More
"Billions (Season 4)" - The first two seasons were great, but by Season 4 it hs gone from good acting and partially serious to ridiculous dialogue, bad acting and bad script. I don't think I will watch the next season. Are they just using worse and worse directors? It's nothing special anymore.
I give it a 5/10.

27th July 2019, 11:18 AM |#7762  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbigwave

"Billions (Season 4)" - The first two seasons were great, but by Season 4 it hs gone from good acting and partially serious to ridiculous dialogue, bad acting and bad script. I don't think I will watch the next season. Are they just using worse and worse directors? It's nothing special anymore.
I give it a 5/10.

This show. I dropped it originally. Went back out of desperation for something to watch. Hate watched up to date. Then dropped it for good after the first episode of this season. It's irredeemable. Reminds me of Suits. Borderline watchable for a while but not good for sustained viewing.

The Steven Conrad written shows, Patriot and now Perpetual Grace Ltd are the best shows that people don't know about. Don't sleep on them. You'll fall in love!

Watched the new Godzilla. Pretty awful unless some Monster action is happening. Should have removed the actors entirely and had more destruction and monster fights. Some of that was pretty fun! 5/10

Rewarched the first three Star Trek movies. Yep, that's how desperate the situation is. I need more good entertainment, and even with all the good streaming media, they still don't make enough to fill my plate. Anyway, the movies still hold up. Good dialogue, great chemistry between the characters, models of ships rather than CGI. Best looking Enterprise ever. Only the JJ movies are better.

Let's pick the best movie of the year so far. (I haven't seen the new Tarantino yet which may end up top of the list by years end). I would say Dragged Across Concrete or Apollo 11. What say you?
28th July 2019, 03:38 PM |#7763  
Flag Rahasia

More
watched PISTORIUS "is a feature documentary about the South African Paralympic and Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who shot and killed his girlfriend in the early hours of Valentine's Day 2013." It was much better than expected. Watchable. 7/10

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk

The Steven Conrad written shows, Patriot and now Perpetual Grace Ltd are the best shows that people don't know about. Don't sleep on them. You'll fall in love!

Watched the new Godzilla. Pretty awful unless some Monster action is happening. Should have removed the actors entirely and had more destruction and monster fights. Some of that was pretty fun! 5/10

Let's pick the best movie of the year so far. (I haven't seen the new Tarantino yet which may end up top of the list by years end). I would say Dragged Across Concrete or Apollo 11. What say you?

I never bothered to watch Suits or Godzilla at all... especially after the first Godzilla movie was such a disappointment.

I am also looking forward to the Tarantino movie with Brad & Leonardo.

I think the best movie I rewatched this year was Apocalypse now. I think I seen it over 20 times.

The best movie sp far this year... hard to choose.. not many memorable ones... maybe Crawl or BrightBurn or Glass... with End Game a generous mention (too much CGI and predictable but there were some good scenes).. I guess it shows the movies coming out nowadays are just not as great or mind blowing.as they used to be.

I might give Apollo 11
31st July 2019, 12:52 PM |#7764  
Flag Rahasia

More
"The Curse of La Llorona " - It deserves a much higher rating on IMDB. I was surprised with the low rating on IMBD but IMDB is not always right because of fake accounts and some companies trying to trash other movies.

But this was a great horror.. If you like lots jump scares in movies then this is the one for you. People were screaming watching it. Really enjoyed it.
Apparently has same producers as The Conjuring movies. It's not The Exorcist but its Highly watchable.
8/10 (It's loosely connected to the Annabelle horror movie series)
1st August 2019, 01:34 PM |#7765  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
I just saw "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood." Not a bad movie, and don't regret having spent money to see it, however, I didn't feel it was quite on the same level as some of Tarantino's other movies such as "Pulp Fiction" and "The Hateful Eight." I don't think I would have lost any sleep had I missed this one.

Quote:

Though highly ambitious in scope, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood lacks the finesse and excitement of Tarantino's previous efforts, mainly because it feels unusually laboured for his standards — and he just cannot seem to tie the whole package together into another audacious masterpiece.

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainm...s-6680301.html

This review pretty much hits the nail on the head.
1st August 2019, 05:22 PM |#7766  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Midsommar. Absolutely excellent film. I’ve don’t remember ever seeing Florence Pugh in anything before but I think she’s an excellent actor.
5th August 2019, 10:10 PM |#7767  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysolive

Midsommar. Absolutely excellent film. I’ve don’t remember ever seeing Florence Pugh in anything before but I think she’s an excellent actor.

If you like slow-burn espionage Thrillers, she was excellent in the mini-series adaptation of the John Le Carre novel, The Little Drummer Girl:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7598448/

I really enjoyed it personally. Michael Shannon elevates everything he is in and Alexander Skarsgård was another great addition to the cast.
6th August 2019, 02:20 PM |#7768  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
"The Intruder"
At first thought, when considering watching this movie, I figured that it was just another stalker flick (and in reality that's all it really is). However, Dennis Quaid imparts such a spectacular performance in this role that I give this flick four out of five stars. The critics didn't think much of this movie but the popular vote found it favorable. Two thumbs up for Dennis Quaid's performance and excellent Hitchcockian film editing.
8th August 2019, 04:57 AM |#7769  
Flag Rahasia

More
Take Point - Korean American terror thriller spy movie. 3/10 don't bother.

"Godzilla king of the monsters" nonsensical. 3/10

"MIB (2019)" corny predictable bad cgi.. . 5/10

Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw - Should be called fast and ridiculous hobbs and shaw in the future.. . But some laugh out loud moments. If you liked theMeg you will like this. The motorbike scenes was cool though. 7/10 for entertainment. (Its not Academy Awards stuff)

Killers Anonymous - When big stars like Jessica Alba, Gary Oldman do bad movies for money. Don't bother. 2/10

Krasue Inhuman Kiss - Good Thai horror with strange relationships. 7/10

Dead Water - I lile Judd Nelson.. but not in this bad movie. 5/10 ...watch at home if nothing else on.

Tolkein - boring... so bad. 3/10

Whitney - Not sure if i mentioned it. Its not bad. Not great. 6/10. interesting though.

Cold Blood - jean reno. don't bother. too predictable. Acting not great. 5/10
10th August 2019, 03:33 PM |#7770  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean

"The Intruder"
At first thought, when considering watching this movie, I figured that it was just another stalker flick (and in reality that's all it really is). However, Dennis Quaid imparts such a spectacular performance in this role that I give this flick four out of five stars. The critics didn't think much of this movie but the popular vote found it favorable. Two thumbs up for Dennis Quaid's performance and excellent Hitchcockian film editing.

Dennis Quaid was excellent in the recent-ish TV show, Fortitude. Old and grizzled as a fisherman in the high latitudes. Great show btw. Highly recommended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbigwave

Take Point - Korean American terror thriller spy movie. 3/10 don't bother.

"Godzilla king of the monsters" nonsensical. 3/10

"MIB (2019)" corny predictable bad cgi.. . 5/10

Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw - Should be called fast and ridiculous hobbs and shaw in the future.. . But some laugh out loud moments. If you liked theMeg you will like this. The motorbike scenes was cool though. 7/10 for entertainment. (Its not Academy Awards stuff)

Killers Anonymous - When big stars like Jessica Alba, Gary Oldman do bad movies for money. Don't bother. 2/10

Krasue Inhuman Kiss - Good Thai horror with strange relationships. 7/10

Dead Water - I lile Judd Nelson.. but not in this bad movie. 5/10 ...watch at home if nothing else on.

Tolkein - boring... so bad. 3/10

Whitney - Not sure if i mentioned it. Its not bad. Not great. 6/10. interesting though.

Cold Blood - jean reno. don't bother. too predictable. Acting not great. 5/10

All those terrible movies. You need a palate cleanser after that lot! Something awesome and simple. How about Mad Max Fury Road? Or The Raid 1 & 2. Or less simple, but awesome all the same, Elite Squad 1 & 2 https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/

I rewatched The Man From Nowhere again last night. Shameless Korean 'Man On Fire' ripoff. Not as good as the latter, but still awesome. Korean movies just aren't as good as they used to be. I don't know what happened.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, rosebud is a sled!, say what again!

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)