FORUMS

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Genre?

Action

180 Vote(s)
23.78%
Comedy

149 Vote(s)
19.68%
Sci-Fi

220 Vote(s)
29.06%
Drama

35 Vote(s)
4.62%
Thriller

78 Vote(s)
10.30%
Horror

57 Vote(s)
7.53%
Other

38 Vote(s)
5.02%

Off-Topic Movie Club

12,361 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,840

By Dirk, Senior Member on 17th September 2011, 02:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2020, 12:47 PM |#7861  
Digital Domain
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk

Better Call Saul - It's back and as good as ever. A must watch for Breaking Bad fans.

Yeah, buddy!
16th March 2020, 09:27 PM |#7862  
OP Senior Member

More
Westworld Season 3 has begun. This is the one i've been waiting for. The weekly head-scratcher and Reddit scramble for theories. Aaron Paul plays a main character this season, and this is finally the sort of role i've been hoping to see him in since Breaking Bad.
26th March 2020, 11:00 AM |#7863  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm so disappointed with the new Star Wars trilogy. I hope we get more projects like Mandalorian in the future, it has a chance to save a franchise.
28th March 2020, 03:42 AM |#7864  
Flag Planet Omicron Persei 8
Thanks Meter: 1,115

More
Quote:

Birds of Prey aka Harley Quinn.... Silly girl power flick that's only watchable at all because of some fun action scenes. Pretty forgettable nonsense but not the worst thing in the world. 6/10

My friends decided it'll be fun to watch in 4Dx (or whatever it's called). It was hard to sleep with the chairs moving and blowing air and water at you.
Also the girl playing Harley was trying too hard to have crazy eyes, but it didn't work.

Parasite is a good film, watch it if you haven't. It left a feeling of disgust after I finished it, idk how to explain it.

1917 is also worth the watch.

Joker is very overrated, I only watched it because of FOMO, totally not worth it.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels one of the good dark comedies out there, just a bunch of random people killing each other, what's not to like?
28th March 2020, 10:46 AM |#7865  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by husam666

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels one of the good dark comedies out there, just a bunch of random people killing each other, what's not to like?

You must be famliar with Guy Richie's other work? Snatch, Sherlock Holmes etc? Also see below:

The Gentlemen - New Guy Richie flick. While there are parts of this movie that feel sillier than his other movies, overall there's a lot to like about it. It's hugely fun for a start, and the casting is amazing. The likes of Colin Farrell and Matthew McConaughey elevate the movie, but it's Hugh Grant that steals the show with the best acting i've ever seen from him. It's a must watch movie and a deserving 9/10

Vivarium - Quirky and creepy film starring Imogen Poots and Jessie Eisenburg. Watch the Trailer to get a feel for the story to see if it grabs you. I was hooked from the Trailer and the movie didn't disappoint. It is pretty unique and in some ways plays like a fever dream. Worth a watch. 8/10

Underwater - Didn't know too much going into this watch. Seemed like a standard disaster/survival flick to begin with but turns out to be more than that. Parallels could be drawn to James Cameron's The Abyss, which is the better movie tbh. Not that Underwater is bad, because it's actually quite enjoyable.

From the start the movie wastes no time getting into the action. We get a minute or two with lead actress Kristen Stewart, looking different than usual with close cropped hair, before the movie kicks into high gear. From then on it's a highly claustrophobic scramble for survival. We pick up more characters along the way. Vincent Cassell is a great addition to any movie and i only wish he'd been given more to do. TJ Miller is there to provide the one-liners and comic relief, which seems to be his lot in life. There's also the sacrificial lambs, albiet one or two recognisable faces in there.

Story wise i almost wish it had been made as a simple survival tale. The Lovecraftian content which comes into it was a bit forced and unnecessary. Still, there's very little filler and a lot of tense action. It's better than Deep Blue Sea, which is another movie that comes to mind that plays in the same genre. At just over 90 Minutes it's worth taking the time to watch it. Stewart alone is worth the entrance fee. 7/10
29th March 2020, 07:32 PM |#7866  

More
Quote:

You must be famliar with Guy Richie's other work? Snatch, Sherlock Holmes etc? Also see below:

The Gentlemen - New Guy Richie flick. While there are parts of this movie that feel sillier than his other movies, overall there's a lot to like about it. It's hugely fun for a start, and the casting is amazing. The likes of Colin Farrell and Matthew McConaughey elevate the movie, but it's Hugh Grant that steals the show with the best acting i've ever seen from him. It's a must watch movie and a deserving 9/10

Vivarium - Quirky and creepy film starring Imogen Poots and Jessie Eisenburg. Watch the Trailer to get a feel for the story to see if it grabs you. I was hooked from the Trailer and the movie didn't disappoint. It is pretty unique and in some ways plays like a fever dream. Worth a watch. 8/10

Underwater - Didn't know too much going into this watch. Seemed like a standard disaster/survival flick to begin with but turns out to be more than that. Parallels could be drawn to James Cameron's The Abyss, which is the better movie tbh. Not that Underwater is bad, because it's actually quite enjoyable.

From the start the movie wastes no time getting into the action. We get a minute or two with lead actress Kristen Stewart, looking different than usual with close cropped hair, before the movie kicks into high gear. From then on it's a highly claustrophobic scramble for survival. We pick up more characters along the way. Vincent Cassell is a great addition to any movie and i only wish he'd been given more to do. TJ Miller is there to provide the one-liners and comic relief, which seems to be his lot in life. There's also the sacrificial lambs, albiet one or two recognisable faces in there.

Story wise i almost wish it had been made as a simple survival tale. The Lovecraftian content which comes into it was a bit forced and unnecessary. Still, there's very little filler and a lot of tense action. It's better than Deep Blue Sea, which is another movie that comes to mind that plays in the same genre. At just over 90 Minutes it's worth taking the time to watch it. Stewart alone is worth the entrance fee. 7/10

I'm not familiar with Guy, but now I am. I'll be watching The Gentlemen now... You had me at Colin Farrell
30th March 2020, 09:23 AM |#7867  
Flag Manama
Thanks Meter: 302

More
I did watch Birds of Prey before the whole situation and I would say it was okay. Would give it 5 or 6 out of 10
2nd April 2020, 07:08 PM |#7868  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I'm not familiar with Guy, but now I am. I'll be watching The Gentlemen now... You had me at Colin Farrell

Love me some Colin Farrell. The best movie with him starring is 'In Bruges'. It's awesome in every way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman38102

I did watch Birds of Prey before the whole situation and I would say it was okay. Would give it 5 or 6 out of 10

Funny that today, out of any movie i could have rewatched, i chose Underwater again. Sometimes a silly but fun action film with a sexy lead actress is all you need out of life!
2nd April 2020, 08:52 PM |#7869  

More
Quote:

Love me some Colin Farrell. The best movie with him starring is 'In Bruges'. It's awesome in every way!

In Bruges is one of my favourites. It made me put Bruges on my places to go list just to see if it's actually that boring... But after being in a similar situation in Prague last year while on a business trip, it moved to the bottom of that list.

I saw The Gentlemen a few days ago, it's very well written and the acting is on point. It was a nice trip 8.5/10

I'll see Snatch now
2nd April 2020, 09:01 PM |#7870  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I'll see Snatch now

Good call!

You go on Business trips now? Whatever next... Milad running for President?

I guess everyone in OT is growing old and getting on with life. Nice to see but kinda weird too.
2nd April 2020, 11:16 PM |#7871  

More
Quote:

Good call!

You go on Business trips now? Whatever next... Milad running for President?

I guess everyone in OT is growing old and getting on with life. Nice to see but kinda weird too.

ey mate, I'm growing old too fast. It's killing me (pun intended)

Snatch is brilliant. I feel like my new favourite genre is pointless action drama comedy.

If you want to taste something similar but from the eastern part of Europe, I suggest a Russian film called: Brat (brother)
It a bit tricky to find a high quality one and english subtitles that work. But still the quality wasn't that much. You can find it with translation from the official studio on youtube in the glory of 480p.
The sequel however is in 1080p and it's glorious.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, rosebud is a sled!, say what again!

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)