FORUMS

Vibrant T959 Only Turns On With Charger Connected

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By we87, Member on 18th September 2011, 08:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a Samsung Vibrant T959 TMobile US with 2.1-update1, Baseband T959UVJI6.

The battery is fully charged, it registers in the phone as fully charged 100%, but when I hit the power button I get a progess wheel that gets stuck, then the phone just turns off. It never gets passed that wheel, it only displays for a second then dies.

However, when I plug in the USB and hit the power button, it comes right up like it should. Then I can unplug the usb and use the phone just fine. Its almost as if I need to jump-start the phone with a power source.

I have reset the phone, even re-flashed the stock firmware using Odin. Same results. I have even swapped batteries with a buddy just to see if that was the case, but I still got the same results.

Any advice or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks Very Much In Advance!
21st September 2011, 08:59 PM |#2  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Anybody? Any ideas?
21st September 2011, 09:44 PM |#3  
Flag N.C.
Thanks Meter: 1,152

Donate to Me
More
Well, that is new to me...

I'll preface with, I have no clue how/why that is happening. But, this is what I would do:

1 - If really opposed to rooting, I'd call T-Mo / Samsung and get a replacement.

2 - If I liked my phone and wanted to make it better, I'd root it and flash a custom ROM. It likely would take care of the issue, as it clearly is not a hardware thing (well, I say clearly).

Worst case with #2, ODIN back to stock and then do option 1.
26th September 2011, 01:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
possible solution
also it says "USB connected" even when cable is unplugged? I had similar problem.. I tried everything, flashing, changing batteries.. none of that was useful. Then I find some post on some forum that says it might be corrosion, so i scratched my USB with thin wire and everything worked fine, but also scratching USB I was doing one more thing. In my opinion, I think that it's not corrosion. I think that USB is slightly bent (middle part of it), try to bent it in other direction, possible that it's too close to edge. That solved my problem. Tell me if this helpful for you, sorry about my english
10th April 2012, 07:26 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by we87

Anybody? Any ideas?

did you ever figure out? im in the same boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by admirh

also it says "USB connected" even when cable is unplugged? I had similar problem.. I tried everything, flashing, changing batteries.. none of that was useful. Then I find some post on some forum that says it might be corrosion, so i scratched my USB with thin wire and everything worked fine, but also scratching USB I was doing one more thing. In my opinion, I think that it's not corrosion. I think that USB is slightly bent (middle part of it), try to bent it in other direction, possible that it's too close to edge. That solved my problem. Tell me if this helpful for you, sorry about my english

i think i can get what you are saying, cleaning the usb port on the phone right??

BUT how does this affect turning the phone on?? if usb port is rusty, it will only affect charging, not turning the power on?
10th April 2012, 08:46 PM |#6  
Flag Loveland
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I experienced this identical issue last fall -- the USB would always say it was connected, wouldn't startup unless connected to actual USB, but otherwise worked fine.

Take your phone apart and look at the solder joints on your microUSB port... mine all had cracks in them or had broken free. I re-flowed the solder while holding the port down and it resolved my issues. (put on some flux, and run a hot soldering iron across the joints, clean up... it's not very difficult. just be sure you don't short out any of the pins.) I also added additional solder to the four points that just hold the mircoUSB to the circuit board. It's been rock solid since
10th April 2012, 09:18 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahhstah

I experienced this identical issue last fall -- the USB would always say it was connected, wouldn't startup unless connected to actual USB, but otherwise worked fine.

Take your phone apart and look at the solder joints on your microUSB port... mine all had cracks in them or had broken free. I re-flowed the solder while holding the port down and it resolved my issues. (put on some flux, and run a hot soldering iron across the joints, clean up... it's not very difficult. just be sure you don't short out any of the pins.) I also added additional solder to the four points that just hold the mircoUSB to the circuit board. It's been rock solid since

that sounds very difficult actually.. as I dont own any of the tools

anywhere cheap to recommend?
10th April 2012, 09:39 PM |#8  
Flag Springfield, MO
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi punk

See if there is a TV or electronic repair place still in business in your area. Or post an ad on CL asking someone with knowledge and skill to do it. Be careful they aren't an idiot just wanting 20 bucks and happen to own a soldering iron.
11th April 2012, 05:21 PM |#9  
Flag Loveland
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi punk

you could see if Cell Phone Repair/ is near you and describe to them what you want to do.
16th April 2012, 05:13 AM |#10  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 66

More
I would go through these guys they are top notch helped me when i soft bricked my wife's phone. He even convinced me that i could fix it myself when i was ready to send it to them for a jtag.

They can replace the usb plug if thats the issue.

http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...msung-vibrant/
16th April 2012, 08:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 115

More
I would test to see if my battery is bad first before i went about resoldering, it could easily be a bad battery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)