FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

"Android OS" consuming battery [POTENTIAL SOLUTION]

379 posts
Thanks Meter: 211
 
By xak944, Senior Member on 21st September 2011, 08:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT
I was able to solve my battery issue by formatting my SD card. Something on there was causing the battery to drain 2-3 times more quickly than normal. After formatting, I went from 6-8 hour battery life to around 20 hours with significant usage (Google, Exchange, IMAP, Facebook all on push, 3G+Bluetooth+GPS on, 4G and wifi as needed for extra speed).

Important to note, I am not entirely convinced that the Android OS and battery drain are related since I still have Android OS near if not at the top of my battery consumption screen, but the improved actual longevity is very significant. I recommend anyone having their battery run out format their SD card (and possibly USB storage) and see if that helps (obviously back up any important data first!). Good luck!


ORIGINAL POST
I'm getting pretty bad battery life, and it looks like "Android OS" is consuming most of it. I've rebooted (as suggested in other threads), checked OS Monitor for high-CPU usage processes, but nothing stands out. This is un-rooted, stock OS with no third party launchers installed.

I have a feeling if this issue was fixed, I'd be getting great battery life. This happening to anyone else?

Screenshots show the device at 38% after 6.5 hours off the charger.


The Following User Says Thank You to xak944 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xak944 Ad-Free
 
 
21st September 2011, 08:34 PM |#2  
Dfolt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
More
if u using a 2.3.3 based rom is normal, that bug is fixed at 2.3.4 and 2.3.5

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
21st September 2011, 08:36 PM |#3  
xak944's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 211
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfolt

if u using a 2.3.3 based rom is normal, that bug is fixed at 2.3.4 and 2.3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xak944

This is un-rooted, stock OS with no third party launchers installed.

My device is running 2.3.4.
21st September 2011, 08:43 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
That's an awful lot of awake time with no screen on time. Do you have things updating in the background frequently? I.e. social hub, Facebook, news widgets?

And not to be too obvious, but is your 4g antenna turned on?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App
21st September 2011, 08:46 PM |#5  
xak944's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 211
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMatt

That's an awful lot of awake time with no screen on time. Do you have things updating in the background frequently? I.e. social hub, Facebook, news widgets?

No, I don't. I have fewer widgets and fewer accounts (haven't set up my work Exchange yet) than I previously had on my EVO, which got great battery life.

I've been on Android over a year and am quite familiar with how it works... I'm just unfamiliar with Samsung specifically and unrooted devices and was hoping someone might have a similar experience.
21st September 2011, 08:52 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 269
 
More
I have the same thing. Significantly more awake time then screen on time, and Android OS eating the battery. Also stock.
21st September 2011, 08:55 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Same here too
21st September 2011, 09:01 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
I had this exact issue and no longer do. Here is what I did and posted in another thread:

OK I hope someone finds this useful and/or can verify. I was one of those people getting awful battery life, meaning lucky to last 8 hours from 100% to 0%. The "Android OS" process would take hours of CPU time. Now it will take up maybe 30 min over the course of the day. Here is the only thing I did between the time it went from bad to good. I changed the wifi sleep policy. It is by default (for me at least) set to never. I changed it to "when the screen turns off" and left it there for about an hour. Then went in and changed it back to never. From the point of doing this my battery life has been great.

I know it sounds strange but it seems to have worked for me so I thought I would share.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjdoran For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mjdoran Ad-Free
21st September 2011, 09:04 PM |#9  
xak944's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 211
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdoran

I had this exact issue and no longer do. Here is what I did and posted in another thread:

OK I hope someone finds this useful and/or can verify. I was one of those people getting awful battery life, meaning lucky to last 8 hours from 100% to 0%. The "Android OS" process would take hours of CPU time. Now it will take up maybe 30 min over the course of the day. Here is the only thing I did between the time it went from bad to good. I changed the wifi sleep policy. It is by default (for me at least) set to never. I changed it to "when the screen turns off" and left it there for about an hour. Then went in and changed it back to never. From the point of doing this my battery life has been great.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I made the change, hopefully it will help, although I'm reluctant since I haven't had wifi on all day and my battery has been dropping like a rock. Here's hoping... will report back if it helps.
21st September 2011, 09:11 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xak944

Thanks for the suggestion!

I made the change, hopefully it will help, although I'm reluctant since I haven't had wifi on all day and my battery has been dropping like a rock. Here's hoping... will report back if it helps.

I rarely use wifi as well but this setting seemed to affect the phone in general, if your using wifi or not. I might just be crazy though. Either way I no longer have the issue so :P
21st September 2011, 09:19 PM |#11  
JoeBruin32's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
does the google voice widget pull data in the background or is it a push thing?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alarm manager service, alarmmanagerservice, android os, battery, epic touch 4g, galaxy s 2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes