FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] No signal on unlocked HTC Sensation

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By kiera2, Junior Member on 23rd September 2011, 06:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I followed method 2 in this thread to unlock my new HTC Sensation. I can't reply to that thread because I don't have ten posts on these forums.

After unlocking my phone, it accepts my SIM but I constantly have "No Service". The SIM works perfectly in other phones. I tried another SIM in my Sensation and got the same problem. I've checked my APN settings and there are no problems there. I've tried restoring my oldest Nandroid backup, restoring factory settings, etc. but with no luck. When I search for network operators, my phone tells me, "Error while searching for networks." I haven't tried restoring with an RUU (where can I get one?) but other users who seem to have the same problem have tried that with no luck.

At one point last night my phone did suddenly have signal and start working properly. I can't imagine what caused this; my phone was sitting on my desk untouched at the time. (I only noticed because it beeped to indicate it had received an SMS.) I tried sending and receiving calls and both worked just fine.

However, some time later I needed to put my SIM back in my old phone to check something. When I put the SIM and battery back in my Sensation, I was back to No Service. After waiting several hours the situation still hasn't resolved itself like it did before.

Does anyone know what's going on here, or better yet, how I can fix it? Is there any way I can reverse whatever the PG58DIAG file did to my phone? I actually have my phone's real unlock code now, so would be very happy if I could set it back how it was and unlock it legitimately. (I resorted to this method because I was impatient last night and am kicking myself now.)

Edit: In the interest of providing as much information as possible, I'm 90% sure I shut my phone down and restarted it at least once after it started working last night. It was only after taking the battery out that it went back to No Service.

23rd September 2011, 04:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 233

More
I seem to be having more or less the exact same issue. I have an unlocked HTC Sensation and am using a ROGERS SIM card with it. Works perfectly well in my other phone, Curve 9360, and in a couple other phones as well, but the Sensation will have signal for a second then lose it immediately. For example, an SMS came in just like it did for the OP, then the signal was gone again right away.

Funny thing is this just started today, literally a couple hours ago. It was working fine up until then. Battery pulls or soft restarts don't seem to help.

Thanks to all with any ideas.
23rd September 2011, 05:39 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
茨城県

More
To clarify, when my phone found a network it wasn't just a brief flash of reception - it stayed connected and fully functional until I took out the battery. I haven't seen it connect to anything since.

But yeah, would be incredibly grateful if anyone could help out.
24th September 2011, 11:40 AM |#4  

More
Hi, I am having the same issue.

I have unbranded a Vodafone Sensation and applied a stock HTC RUU as per the guides at XDA developers (linked to in post above).

All was fine on Thursday - got a T-mobile signal and a text message from them etc. Turned on today to update my phone properly, and I can't get any service from the phone no matter what SIM card I put in it.

What should I do???

Many thanks in advance.
25th September 2011, 04:49 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
茨城県

More
My phone seems to be working now but I'm not sure why.

After my last post, I put my SIM in my Sensation and left it overnight on my desk to see if it would find a signal. No luck; I woke up and it was still saying No Service. I put it in my pocket and cycled to work, and when I got there my phone had signal and was working perfectly. I considered the possibility that my bedroom might have been some kind of no-service-bubble, but my phone is currently sitting on my desk with full signal strength, and as I said earlier, the SIM worked fine in an older phone in the same place.

Last night I installed a custom ROM (Android Revolution HD) and after installing it my phone froze at the startup screen. With no other option I took my battery out, fearing the worst. But when I turned my Sensation back on the new ROM was working fine and so was my SIM card. Just in case, I haven't dared take my battery out since.

Sorry, this probably isn't much help to the other people experiencing similar problems
26th September 2011, 09:25 AM |#6  

More
A quick update to this issue...

I tried reflashing the RUU again, and initially had no luck. 'No Service' at all.
In desperation I entered the boot menu, and noticed that when it came up it said something like:
PG58IMG not found!

I then decided to click the option - 'reboot bootloader' and the phone reset again. When it came back on, lo and behold it had a signal, and has done ever since. Weird.
The signal seems quite flaky, but it all seems to work at the moment apart from the weather app (location wrong) and a weird screenshot capturing bug.

Quite disappointed how buggy the stock HTC software seems to be, nice phone currently being let down by the software methinks.
30th September 2011, 05:56 PM |#7  

More
I had the same problem also. Try flashing the latest radio (10.58.9035.00P_10.15.9035.02_2)

Don't forget the matching RIL! (IMPORTANT!) HTC-RIL 2.2.0173HMQ

I've never lost my signal again!

As for rowlarry, don't worry, HBOOT just checks if you have pushed a new radio.img

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

So if any of you need help with flashing a new radio, let me know! Glad to help..
I know how frustrating a non functional sensation can be!
2nd October 2011, 05:43 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Did everything and still have no signal
boardking_zero thanks for helping but i tried to flash the new radio with the ril file after i installed the rom and it still doesnt work

i bought the phone from a guy on ebay he used it with tmobile and use it as orange

is there anything else i should try to do?

thanks!
3rd October 2011, 11:42 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i feel so dumb, i did the whole thing without the back cover which is also the antenna of the phone so thats why i had no signal and a weak wifi signal!
The Following User Says Thank You to EYBTM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EYBTM Ad-Free
3rd October 2011, 03:13 PM |#10  
Flag Stockholm

More
Question
Seems that the problem resolves after some reboots... or what?
3rd October 2011, 09:11 PM |#11  

More
How did you flash the radio? Did you use recovery or adb? Because is you used recovery it won't work. The RIL you can flash with recovery.

So in case you used recovery, here is the method I use:

1: Download adb
2: Create new folder on pc's local drive and install adb there. Make sure that adb doesn't create a folder in your new folder
3: Extract the radio.zip on your pc and copy the radio.img to the adb folder.
4: Open cmd ( Start-Run-cmd-enter )
5: type cd c:\adb (If adb is located in C:\)
6: Make sure your phone is connected to pc, powered on(homescreen) and debug on
7: in cmd type, adb devices ( this wil start deamon and id your phone )
8: type, adb reboot-bootloader ( phone will reboot in fastboot USB )
9: Now type, fastboot flash radio radio.img
10: When it's done copying you type, fastboot reboot

Done! Radio flashed the 'safer' way..

Now you can reboot phone in recovery and use it to flash the RIL.zip
Make sure they match!

To check your phone's RIL: Use terminal emulator (market) and use this command:
getprop "gsm.version.ril-impl" This will show current ril

Another trick to reboot your antenna, on dial pad, dial *#*#4636#*#* then choose phone settings. If your default setting is WCDMA Preferred, try gsm/cdma auto (prl)
toggle radio off, then on. Make sure you exit using the Home button, this will save your settings.

Let me know how it works out!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)