FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q solved] cannot mount sdcard in recovery

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By brosell, Junior Member on 25th September 2011, 03:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So this was solved by using a tool from sdcard.org to format my sdcard in a PC. Once formatted with that tool cwm started seeing correctly.
-------

I'm running 3.1 rooted

I've flashed Thor's 1.4.2 recovery.

I have two sd cards: a 2g and an 8g.

Both work when accessed on a PC and on the iconia.

Neither work in cwm so I can't flash any roms.

I have tried formatting the sdcards on two different PCs. for the 2g I tried both fat and fat32. The 8g is fat32. In every case cwm says it can't mount it.

Additionally, I can't seem to use a USB key, although that may be that i don't know how to use it.

Thanks for any help.
-Bert
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brosell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brosell Ad-Free

25th September 2011, 05:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
When in CWM and you go to install zip from sdcard do you see any folders where you choose the zip. Just wondering if it isn't mounted already. Physical sdcard is in /mnt/external_sd
and not /mnt/sdcard.
25th September 2011, 02:04 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychosisNC

When in CWM and you go to install zip from sdcard do you see any folders where you choose the zip. Just wondering if it isn't mounted already. Physical sdcard is in /mnt/external_sd
and not /mnt/sdcard.

Thanks for your reply. I'm prety sure It's not mounted already.

I'm attaching a screenshot to show the exact message I get when trying to browse for a zip. I get a similar message when I go to mounts and storage and try to mount the sdcard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110925_075204.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	730356  
27th September 2011, 01:47 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
im bumping this because I'm really becoming concerned that the device is defective in some way.

I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidence on what I may be doing wrong.
9th October 2011, 09:47 PM |#5  

More
So, brosell, did you figure out a solution? I have the exact same problem - cannot mount sdcard in recovery and I get the exact same message.
When the system is booted normally, the internal storage mounts ok as /sdcard

EDIT:
It seems CWM treats the external sdcard as /sdcard, not the internal storage. So, to flash an update, you need to place it on an external SD card
10th October 2011, 12:27 AM |#6  
Union City Indiana
Thanks Meter: 46

More
I always get that error, and I never had to mount anything using cwm, just booted it selected the zip to flash and flash. I still don't mount anything...?

And the zip goes on the external sd not the inturn
11th October 2011, 08:38 AM |#7  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Can't format SC Card in Window. If won't mount.
Guys,
Unfortunately SD cards for Android must be formatted by Android. If the card is not properly formatted CWM can not mount it, nor can CWM format it. The best way to get it properly formatted is to put it into an Android Phone and use its format functions. There really is no way on the Icona Tab to reformat an improperly formatted card or a new formatted card. If you don't have an Android phone borrow a friends. You will know that it is properly formatted when you see a lost files folder created on the card by the Android phone formatting process. This is a common problem that many people encounter when performing their first ROM flash. If it was formatted under windows as FAT 32 you can access it and store on it in normal operation mode. But ClockWorkMod can not mount it in recovery mode. Hope this helps. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to gradyzero For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gradyzero Ad-Free
11th October 2011, 08:59 PM |#8  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Wink Can mount SD card in Recovery
I should have also mentioned last night in my post here, that my experience has been that it is much easier to flash a new custom ROM from a USB thumb drive. Flashing a custom ROM from USB seems to be less problematic than from an SDCard that appears otherwise to be good and formatted with FAT32, but CWM can't mount it. You can fast format the thumb drive on Windows to clean it off. Then copy your custom .zip ROM to be flashed on to the thumb drive from within Windows then insert it into the USB port of your Icona Tab, boot into CWM recovery (I'm assuming you know how to do that so I won't go into it here.) I forget exactly where in the CWM menu it is, it might be under the CWM advanced sub-menu but it say's something to the effect of Install zip from USB. It always works for me with no problem. The advantage is that you do all your prep work on Windows and then flash from the thumb drive which I believe has an ISO standard across all platforms and usually comes already per-formatted. This is an alternative method if you can't get your SDCard properly formatted (see my previous post in this thread for how to get it properly formatted so that it will mount under CWM.) Again, good luck!
10th November 2011, 12:50 AM |#9  
Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I want to cry!!
I tried re formatting! Nothing! Cmw is not on sd card! Nothing is working! Still stuck on acer start screen! Yes i am a noob! But i read alot into this stuff b4 i do it! I wish there was someone i can have come to my house and do this for me! I have tried everything!!!!!!!!!!! So frustrated!!! Someone pls help me!!!!
6th January 2012, 05:59 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
in CWM recovery, there are 2 options,sd and "internal sd" i think(for me atleast). i chose the internal sd and it mounts.
9th April 2012, 12:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosell

So this was solved by using a tool from sdcard.org to format my sdcard in a PC. Once formatted with that tool cwm started seeing correctly.
-------

-Bert

Thank You Sir! been looking for this fix for a long time
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
clockwork, cwm, mount, sdcard

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)