FORUMS

Use phone as wireless adapter?(NOT WIRELESS TETHERING)

94 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By yus4eel, Member on 25th September 2011, 04:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I want to know if there is a way to use an android device as a wireless adapter? Not wireless tethering of your data connection but the ability to use the wifi connection on your pc.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
25th September 2011, 04:46 PM |#2  
Recognized Developer / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Flag Catskills, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,001

Donate to Me
More
Turn your data off and turn on your WiFi, connect to the desired network and try to tether via usb to your phone. This should hopefully bridge your connection if you have an aosp ROM. I'm not sure about sense, as I've never tried it on a sense ROM before.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeCriggs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th September 2011, 04:49 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
So you mean download the wirless tether app and use it while data is off? And you can do it via usb?/ I've never used data tethering so idk im a noob

25th September 2011, 04:55 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag IN YOUR HEAD
Thanks Meter: 4,125

Donate to Me
More
He meant to say, connect to wifi and in settings there will be an option to tether via usb
Although i am also not sure about sense roms

Or you can use a market app
There are many, Easy Tether will do the job
Connect to the wifi network and then use usb tethering
25th September 2011, 04:57 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
okay well I have a droid 3 so there aren't any roms out for it and when I try a wifi tether app from the market it disables your wifi

25th September 2011, 10:08 PM |#6  
XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,253

More
Moved to proper section
25th September 2011, 11:09 PM |#7  
Flag Catskills, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yus4eel

okay well I have a droid 3 so there aren't any roms out for it and when I try a wifi tether app from the market it disables your wifi

Okay, so basically what you're going to be doing is using your phone as a USB WiFi dongle. To do this, follow these instructions VERY carefully.

1) Assuming that you are already rooted (via z4root, Gingerbreak, or some other means), search for "EasyTether Lite" on the Android Market and download it.

2) Go into Settings>Wireless & Networks

3) Uncheck the box that says "Mobile Network", "3G", "Mobile Data" or something along those lines.

4) Check the box that says "WiFi" and connect to the desired network.

5) Now, download and install the drivers you need for EasyTether to work with your computer here (note that you are going to do this from your computer and not your phone): http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers.html

6) Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable and open the EasyTether app. Enable tethering and with a little bit of magic and fairy dust, you should now have a connection on your computer.

Good luck mate.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MikeCriggs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2011, 09:36 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Need for same
Need an expert here!
what we look for is using android phone to connect other devices not only to internet but also to each other .
We could do it with our modem,but with tethering is like a hotspot , every device can connect internet but cannot see other devices.
Everywhere i looked was explainin "how to tether" which is built in android 2.2 already.

Helps will be highly appreciated
22nd November 2011, 02:47 AM |#9  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 248

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Is it too simple?
I had trouble getting USB tethering on my macbook, not my PC, but:

I searched the market for USB tethering.

and with "Easy Tether lite" (the first app in the search results; there are other options, I tried this one first and it worked great).

I installed on my phone, ran it, followed the wizard, had to install USB tethering drivers for OS X at some point.

Now:

Phone getting WiFi from my router and entering my computer via usb.

I even set it up now to send this very post!!

cheers,
-nerB

EDIT: (Hmm, your syntax is kind of shaky, original poster... You don't mean use the computer as a wireless adapter for your phone do you?? that would be internet pass-through, yes? I think you do mean USB tethering but using a WiFi source, not the mobile connection. Is this as simple as hooking up a usb data tether but using the WiFi instead of 3G from your phone, such as to use a dingy laptop without wireless to get the WiFi in a Starbucks/etc/etc? Hmm.

Otherwise, your phone is not a WiFi wireless adapter, it has one that your phone OS connects to, which then "usb tethers" to computer...

I've never even seen a usb cable that connects a mobile phone to a mobile phone. Haha. I suppose if you had one, you should be able to USB tether from one phone and Internet Pass-Through on the other.....:/ )
30th December 2011, 12:39 PM |#10  
Flag Catskills, NY

Donate to Me
More
Check out this thing called Bluetooth for that. It works wonders.

Sent from my ICS loving Evo 3D.
6th February 2013, 10:44 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
solution without additional software while having cyanogenmod
This works with cyanogenmod10 out of the box. Probably also possible with cm7/cm9 too.
Connect phone via cable to pc, connect phone to wifi, enable "USB-Tethering" (Settings -> Tethering/Hotspot), let OS detect the new device, done.

I know this thread has no activity since over a year, but if anybody finds this page like me while searching for this topic, I could be helpful for him knowing a method without using additional software while having cyanogenmod.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chiefbrain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chiefbrain Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)