CUSTOM ROM AVAILABILITY: This is a stock rooted update (stock ROM, stock kernel), NOT a full-featured custom ROM; however, both 3G/4G and Wi-Fi users can enjoy Team Tiamat Xoom Rom 2.2.1 Moray. If you want the latest features implemented by Team Tiamat, install Moray; otherwise, if you want stock 3.2.1 HTK75D ROM and kernel with root, continue below.
COMPATIBILITY: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ONLY!!! If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device. If you have a Xoom 3G/4G, this procedure may break your device. The update script performs NO CHECKS on the model of Xoom before flashing rooted stock 3.2.1 HTK75D system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a non-US or 3G/4G device; it will just flash and you're left with the mess (if any). Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, ready to restore another ROM in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!
WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.
This is a modded update package (update.zip) that updates the US Xoom Wi-Fi from any ROM to stock rooted Android 3.2.1 HTK75D using ClockworkMod Recovery:
- Flashes bootloader from previous update (3.2.1 HTK55D) to ensure integrity
- Flashes the boot partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 boot image, stock kernel
- Includes a workaround for the Bluetooth tethering issue that was introduced in 3.2 (note: workaround is in boot.img, so flashing a new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it)
- Stock kernel includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
- Flashes system partition with rooted stock 3.2.1 image (minus the recovery overwrite script)
- Includes Superuser.apk 3.0 (new) and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
- Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions
- Leaves existing recovery partition intact (stock 3.2.1 update overwrites it on every reboot)
- Leaves user data intact (note: some users updating from custom ROM's recommend wiping data/factory reset to prevent issues)
- Download the modded Xoom Wi-Fi Android 3.2.1 HTK75D update package
- Ensure you have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery (thanks, solarnz, bigrushdog, koush, et al)
- Ensure a physical SDCard is installed in your Xoom (required for ClockworkMod Recovery updates) and have it functioning properly
- Copy/download the modded Android 3.2.1 Update package to the SDCard
- Reboot into recovery
- Reboot your Xoom
- When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
- Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery
- Perform update
Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery prior to performing the following steps.
- Select "install zip from sdcard"
- Select "choose zip from sdcard"
- Select the modded Android 3.2.1 update package
- Select "Yes - Install <filename>"
"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
- Select "reboot system now"
New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
- Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 3.2.1 HTK75D!
- Superuser.apk 3.0: Some issues are being reported; may be updated soon.
- Bluetooth tether issue workaround: Implemented in boot.img, so flashing new kernel/boot.img will overwrite it.
- v02: HTK75D update (Android version remains unchanged at 3.2.1)
- v01: First release, HTK55D; includes root, Superuser.apk, su, Bluetooth tether issue workaround