FORUMS

Setting default install path in android

236 posts
Thanks Meter: 141

Post Reply Email Thread
This post is to help you set your phones default install path to your phones sd card on any android device.

so here we go..............>>

1. First you have to enable USB debugging on your Android device from Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.

Now you need to download and install the Android SDK on your computer from google....please google it.
Once setup is downloaded and installed you click on Available Packages to the left.

should you get any error message at this point, enable “Force (url) in the Settings then from the list of available packages, select “Usb Driver package”, click on the Install Selected button in the bottom right corner and follow the prompts.

2. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB-cable. Your OS will prompt you to install new drivers.
Choose to install them from
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder
when you are asked to install drivers

(If for some reason you are not asked to install drivers as it happens sometimes in windows 7. Go to device manager and look for your phone under the usb device list..............right click and choose update drivers....navigate to C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder" to update) If you do not know how to update then google it.

NOTE: You need not mount your device; you only need to plug-in the cable.

3. Next, run a command prompt and navigate to the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder. In Windows, this is done by selecting Run from the Start Menu (or by pressing Win+R) and typing cmd. You change drives in the command prompt by entering the drive letter followed by a colon (, and change folders with the CD command. For example, to enter the Android-SDK folder, simply type C: cd android-sdk.

4. Whiles in the Android-SDK/platform-tools folder, type in

adb devices

you should get a serial number starting with “H” in return. All you have to do next is enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

You’re done! Android will now install apps to the SD card by default.

To switch back to storing software on the internal memory,
enter

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

With everything done correctly you should not have that "annoying memory getting full" message anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edwin270 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift edwin270 Ad-Free
27th September 2011, 05:59 AM |#2  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 4,263

More
If you have a terminal application installed on your phone you can use also that for entering the commands and you should notice, too, that it works only with 2.x roms.

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App
21st August 2012, 11:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Or you could use a utility:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1765929
30th October 2013, 07:55 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
But how do you specify a specific directory?
28th December 2013, 10:31 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Getting Error
I am getting error "/data/anr/traces.txt: Permission denied" when I give Command "adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2"
Please Help.....

9th July 2014, 07:18 AM |#6  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 9

More
On some updated SDK version its "set-install-location"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronBlossom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronBlossom Ad-Free
26th July 2015, 07:22 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,
I've done this and it worked. however I changed my sd card from 2Gb to 4Gb and now it will not work anymore.
I've redone the steps above and, got confirmation that [external] memory is being used, however when I want to install a new app I get the same error message "not enough space"
Android GT-S5830i
ver 2.3.6

Any suggestions
Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, install, sd card

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)