32gb micro

Search This thread

namelus

Sep 7, 2008
i was wondering if i get a 32gb micro sd...does the galaxys2 support it? and where is hte cheapest i can get it from?

jiannichan

Aug 17, 2009
DFW
According to the specs on GSMArena it says that it does, but that also depends on the brand you get. There are a lot of sellers who has it but some of them are fake 32GB cards where you put it in and it is actually a 16GB or the class is actually lower than advertised, for example a class 10 really is a class 2 or 4. Just make sure to buy it from a reputable place, like Newegg or something.

apexi350z

May 19, 2010
Houston
Like someone said, there are LOTS of fake one's out there. Make sure you get it from reputable reseller, Newegg, Amazon, etc.

Yes, the 32gb will work.

Kadernal

Oct 5, 2011
I just placed an order for a 32gb class 10 from amazon that comes with card reader for $61.... with prime shipping it should be here friday morning. :)

The fact that the SHDC slot is not hot swappable is pretty annoying, so I am going to leave this 32gb card in my phone and hopefully I can use the USB host cable I ordered with a usb-micro sd reader for extra space on the go.

roadrash7

Aug 20, 2010
Ordered a 32 gig class 4 earlier off third party Amazon seller for 44 bucks shipped. Will test it when I get it and report back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

mdstricklin

May 26, 2010
Class 2 won't be too great for recording video... HD especially.

I've had my eye on the 32GB class 10 ADATA cards for a while, and since I just got a SGS2 maybe it's finally time to get one. :D

(Man. First few posts... can't provide links to the card I referenced... can't post in the development forums... I feel so restricted. :| )

Kadernal

Oct 5, 2011
everyone getting these ~$40 class 2/4 cards.... why not splurge for another $20 and have more than double the transfer rate?:confused:

Shammyh

Aug 18, 2007
Boston, MA
Turns out the Galaxy S2 series even supports Micro SDXC (aka, 64 GB and up) cards too...

It's just that the stock kernel doesn't support exFat, so you have to re-format the card with FAT32 (at least until kernel devs can get exFat support worked in).

64GB has been confirmed to work, and with 128 GB around the corner, the possibilities for storage are pretty endless... Assuming you have the cash that is.

TOA Duck

Oct 29, 2010
Mississippi
www.theoutlawarmy.com
Coming from wp7 we learned that sandisk class 2 and 4 cards out benchmarked other cards of higher class. Not all cards but a few of them. The wp7 os was so sensitive to SD cards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

bella92108

Feb 15, 2011
California
I'm curious about the Class 4 vs Class 10 war update.

When I had my Infuse, it was really determined that the Infuse 4G hardware really didn't take advantage of Class 10, so weather you buy 2 or 10 the speeds seen were the same on that device. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this handset, and can tell me with certainty if there's a difference on THIS device. I'm happy to upgrade, but want to know things like "Scanning Media" will significantly go faster to make the upgrade worth it.

Thoughts\Opinions\Dirty looks appreciated. :)

Kadernal

Oct 5, 2011
I would guess you wont see real world differences with class 2 vs class 6/10..other than video recording/playback. but when transferring files there is no way a class 2 can compete with higher rated cards.

and I wish I knew about the SDXC cards working... might have to order one and send the 32 back.

bella92108

Feb 15, 2011
California
I would guess you wont see real world differences with class 2 vs class 6/10..other than video recording/playback. but when transferring files there is no way a class 2 can compete with higher rated cards.

and I wish I knew about the SDXC cards working... might have to order one and send the 32 back.

When you say file transfer, my understanding is the transport hardware samsung is using slows down the transfer. Do you know this to be true\untrue? I just don't want to buy class 10 and not feel a wooosh of faster speed. Think I'm better off staying put w\ 4?

Kadernal

Oct 5, 2011
I can't definitively say that the phone slows transfers since I haven't seen a reliable source report that.... I have yet to try the class 10 card myself since it hasn't arrived. I only know what has happened with the cards I do have.

From what I read in regards to card class and phone use, the majority consensus seems to be that in order to get "true 720" video you need to have a card rated higher than class 2.. considering this phone does 1080 recording I didn't want to be cheap.. for an extra $20 I got a card from a reliable manufacturer and source that was the highest class and capacity available, it wasn't a hard choice for me.

I transfered a couple 3.5gb .mkvs over to the class 4 card I currently have in the phone and it kept timing out or the transfer times would jump up to 30+ minutes and then fail nearly every time. This card works flawlessly in other applications so it might very well be the phone slowing down these transfers. I tried with a variety of other class 2 and 4 cards with similar results. Plugging any of the tested cards into the card reader in my pc transfers the files without a hitch.

bella92108

Feb 15, 2011
California
I can't definitively say that the phone slows transfers since I haven't seen a reliable source report that.... I have yet to try the class 10 card myself since it hasn't arrived. I only know what has happened with the cards I do have.

From what I read in regards to card class and phone use, the majority consensus seems to be that in order to get "true 720" video you need to have a card rated higher than class 2.. considering this phone does 1080 recording I didn't want to be cheap.. for an extra $20 I got a card from a reliable manufacturer and source that was the highest class and capacity available, it wasn't a hard choice for me.

I transfered a couple 3.5gb .mkvs over to the class 4 card I currently have in the phone and it kept timing out or the transfer times would jump up to 30+ minutes and then fail nearly every time. This card works flawlessly in other applications so it might very well be the phone slowing down these transfers. I tried with a variety of other class 2 and 4 cards with similar results. Plugging any of the tested cards into the card reader in my pc transfers the files without a hitch.

Good observations. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. That was my experience. I ran the SD Card test on the Class 10 I had and the Infuse said it was just SLIGHTLY faster than the Class 4, so i kept the 4. At the time it was about $30 vs $65, so wasn't worth it for mediocre performance. Now I'm starting to think maybe it's worth it. I just don't like that when the card gets full of photos and songs, it takes forever to Scan Files every reboot or USB plug in\out

bella92108

Feb 15, 2011
California
Lifehacker did a write-up awhile back.
http://lifehacker.com/5804661/does-it-matter-what-class-micro-sd-card-i-have-in-my-android-phone

I've also read that it is a TERRIBLE idea to use the phone as USB storage as the speeds are horrendous. I can vouch for this as my Transcend 32GB performs faster in the usb adapter than through the phone. Why? I have no idea :cool:

well I just bit the bullet and bought a 32gb class 10 (i have class 4 now) from amazon. They're great with returns so if it doesn't give me a boost, back it'll go :)

Top Liked Posts