Due to confusion and scared people I have decided to post simple instructions on how to unlock the bootloader on GB 2.3.4. I just received my Bell Atrix 4G, unlocked it for rogers and then rooted and unlocked the bootloader. I was confused by the pudding instructions, so I decided to recreate them In my own wording.
I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your phone or your heart stopping while you wait for your phone to reboot or if it is stuck on moto screen etc...
Credit for original tutorials go to the2dcour, romracer, Nottach, Faux123 and the others for all of their hard work.
1.Create a folder on your desktop named motounlock
2.Go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1136261
Scroll down to where it says "RSDLite/Windows Drivers/Sbf_flash"
UPDATE: Download RSDLite from here : http://www.multiupload.com/T6NOEBKKLO . If you need x64 bit Drivers use the other link. thanks AnguishedEnd!
download the first two files for windows (RSDLite 5.5 link, x64 Windows drivers)
download the third file for linux/mac
3.Scroll until you see the big word "Unlock"
where it says "Unlocker only SBFs" download the second file UNLESS you are on ATT.
4. Scroll down to the word "Root" and download 'Fastboot' for your OS
5.unzip all of the files you just downloaded into the motounlock folder on your desktop
6. open the folder, install RSDLite, and afterwards install the Drivers.
Then follow these instructions
- Power Down your atrix
- Take out your microSD card and SIM card for the flashing process
- While turning the phone on, hold the Volume Up button until it acknowledges RSD. Your device will say “Starting RSD protocol support”
- Run “RSD Lite” on your computer
- Press the “. . .” button next to the box labeled “Filename”
- Navigate to your desktop and open the motounlock folder and select the file named intl-fix-try1.sbf ( IT WILL BE DIFFERENT IF U ARE DOING THIS FOR ATT)
- Plug your device into your computer. RSD Lite should recognize your device and say “Model: NS Flash Olympus” and “Connected…” The acronym 'NS' may be different for your device people!!
- Press the “Start” button. The Flash actually failed for me, wait for it to complete to 100% it may FAIL or PASS! just make sure it gets to 100% leave your phone sitting for about 10 minutes AFTER RSD SAYS FAIL/SUCCESS.
- If nothing is happening after 10mins, perform a battery pull. Power the phone on while pressing vol-down. “Fastboot” Will show up on screen. DONT PLUG IT IN YET. Press volume up and let your phone sit. You will see “Starting Fastboot protocol support" LEAVE IT UNPLUGGED
- press the windows key + R on your computer, type cmd and press enter
- command prompt will open. type cd C:\users\YOURNAME\desktop\motounlock press 'enter'
- Plug your device back into usb now
- back in your command prompt window type "fastboot oem unlock" no quotes
- You will now receive a warning along with a unique device ID
- Type the following commands using your unique device ID (the numbers in the command prompt) in place of the ####
- fastboot oem unlock ####
- fastboot reboot
- your moto will reboot. UNLCOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. After your bootloader unlocked go to this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1204500
2. Scroll down to where it says "ALL USERS" and download your favourite colour. (NOT THE ZIP VERSION) Place it in the motounlock folder that you have on your desktop.
3. Press the windows key + R on your computer, type cmd and press enter
4. A Command prompt will open. type cd C:\users\YOURNAME\desktop\motounlock press 'enter'
5. type "fastboot devices" Press Enter.
5b. type "fastboot erase recovery" Press Enter.
5c. type "fastboot flash recovery recovery-atrix5.img" Press Enter.
Wait for the command prompt to say : "writing 'recovery'... OKAY ['The amount of seconds it took here']"
5d.type "fastboot reboot"
DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS PART: After the install of RomRacers recovery boot up your phone. Open up your favourite file browser (I used Astro file manager to do this ) and navigate to /system/etc/ and delete the file called 'install-recovery.sh'
You will be set 100% !
Installing a custom ROM (Any custom rom will work as long as it has unified kernel/Faux Kernel)
MOST ROMS WILL COME PRE-ROOTED! Just saying, to avoid confusion.
I will be using Nottach's Darkside ROM as an example, because Cyanogenmod does not have features included with original moto rom (this one is way more NOOB friendly) But this is COMMON PROCEDURE for almost every rom so be sure to follow this for whatever ROM you want to use.
1. Go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1222108
2. Scroll down to where it says 'DOWNLOADS' and download the most current version.
3. When it is finished downloading you will have a ZIP file named something like "TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip"
4. Plug your phone in to your computer and transfer that file to your INTERNAL MEMORY.
5. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE HAS DECENT CHARGE! I would say at least 50 percent. 70+ is recommended, I have done it with 40 + though.
6. Power Down your Phone.
7. Hold The POWER Button + VOL DOWN. DONT PRESS VOLUME UP WHEN YOU SEE FASTBOOT! Instead...
8. After fastboot shows up click volume down until " Android Recovery " shows up, about 7 down clicks. THEN press volume up.
***FIRST TIME ROM FLASHERS ONLY!!!!!!***
WE ARE GOING TO BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL ROM SO THAT IF YOU EVER DERP YOU WIL ALLWAYS HAVE A SOLID BACKUP
Press VOLUME DOWN and go to backup and restore. Press the POWER BUTTON
Press the POWER button on backup
Select where you want to put your backup (internal or external memory)
Backup INCLUDING WEBTOP! (if you ever think you will use it)
Wait for it to finish.
10. Ok now that you are in android recovery you have to do a few things before flash.
a. Scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" PRESS POWER. say yes to EVERYTHING until it goes back to the main screen.
b. scroll down to "wipe cache partition" PRESS POWER. say YES. Wait for return to main menu
c. Scroll down to"advanced", click "wipe dalvik cache" Go back to "advanced", "wipe battery stats
11. At the main menu, Scroll to "install Zip from SDcard" Press POWER.
12.scroll down to "choose zip from internal sdcard"
13. select the ZIP file that you saved to your INTERNAL memory. If you're using darkside the file name is "TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip"
14. Scroll down to "YES - install TheDarkSidev2.8.0-Wipe.zip" Press POWER
15. Let your phone work its magic!
16. When it is finished installing, you will be returned to the recovery main menu.
17. click "reboot system now"
18. Let it boot! This can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 5+ MINUTES! if you dont see it move from the "unlocked" screen after 10 minutes Perform a battery pull and power on again. If it hangs then all you have to do is go into recvoery click "backup and restore" and restore your original ROM. Or like me, have one of every kind of ROM on your storage in case I feel the need to change it on the go! :P
19. YOUR PHONE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY TURNED INTO A FULLY OPEN DROID Pat yourself on the back and have a drink to your accomplishments . We on XDA knew you could do it!
Some solutions to issues:
As ar31791 said,
Anyone having issues not being able to boot into CWM recovery after flashing it (such as seeing android guy with exclamation mark):
Delete or rename /system/etc/install-recovery.sh AND /etc/install-recovery.sh I renamed mine to bkup.install-recovery.sh in case i ever wanted to use them again for some reason.
/etc/install-recovery.sh will automatically be placed in /system/etc if /system/etc/install-recovery.sh is not found on boot.
So, you must delete or rename both, THEN INSTALL CWM recovery.
rename the files using ROM Toolbox's root explorer as some file explorers will not give you the proper access levels to delete or rename the files correctly.c
Hope this helps it worked for me. I was afraid of a brick because nobody clarified the steps that were involved in RSDLite. It may be nerve racking, but it does work!! Enjoy and thanks again to the2dcour, romracer, Nottach, Faux123 and anybody else who has helped in the scene that I didnt have a chance to mention. PM me if I forgot you!